Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5G Sales

Default 5G Sales

... just saying DC!

Well, it's not like they are doing super great right now and I doubt 5G sales going to be worse.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This seems like a pointless thread for something not officially announced, I'm not trying to play fake moderator here, it just seems like no worthwhile discussion can come from this thread that can't be in the 5G thread we have now.

What that chart doesn't show is the next "event" that DC will have waiting that will bump sales when people start to lose interest in 5G. That's been their model for a long time - they go from one bump to another, they know none of these ideas are going to last - they're not supposed to.

BANNED

Sales are gonna go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Sales are gonna go up.
    Until people realize that Bruce Batman, Clark Superman, Diana Wonder Woman, etc. aren't the main cast. And only able to get them in Black Label is not going to help matters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Until people realize that Bruce Batman, Clark Superman, Diana Wonder Woman, etc. aren't the main cast. And only able to get them in Black Label is not going to help matters.
    Nah they're not removing the olders. Just new with old.

Didio did said there's half truths out there.

Isn't this every launch? Doesn't seem like it's worth pointing out. Also the 5G stuff hasn't started yet.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

DC you harmed nu52 sales. And rebirth wasn't as sucessful.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    yup, pretty much this.

once the initial interest/hype of 5G is gone, which will have higher sales for sure as all events like this do, people are going to see the character replacements and it's not going to be good. When DC comic sales are rough with the OG heroes, how the hell are these random replacements going to even be able match the current sales? :/ especially when it comes to replacing the big/main superheroes. Maybe things might have looked better if the legacy characters were going to take over the mantles, but even then, main superhero replacements are usually messy affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by voidox View Post
    yup, pretty much this.

once the initial interest/hype of 5G is gone, which will have higher sales for sure as all events like this do, people are going to see the character replacements and it's not going to be good. When DC comic sales are rough with the OG heroes, how the hell are these random replacements going to even be able match the current sales? :/ especially when it comes to replacing the big/main superheroes. Maybe things might have looked better if the legacy characters were going to take over the mantles, but even then, main superhero replacements are usually messy affairs.
    So, fans of the old timers, who will get their heroes still published with new stories, would still not support new things ? Is that what you mean ? Because if so, I feel even less inclined to care about the opinion of those who screams that you must have read decade-old stories to understand why such and such are important characters, this and that defining events and the like.

The quality of the stories of 5G may be poor, we don't know yet. But the obvious bias among a vocal portion of the fanbase, who shot down everything which isn't just more of the same stories and relationships and generally speaking only want one version of the characters to exist and be published is not helping mainstream comics as a medium.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, fans of the old timers, who will get their heroes still published with new stories, would still not support new things ? Is that what you mean ? Because if so, I feel even less inclined to care about the opinion of those who screams that you must have read decade-old stories to understand why such and such are important characters, this and that defining events and the like.

The quality of the stories of 5G may be poor, we don't know yet. But the obvious bias among a vocal portion of the fanbase, who shot down everything which isn't just more of the same stories and relationships and generally speaking only want one version of the characters to exist and be published is not helping mainstream comics as a medium.
    Its not like dc is doing stellar anyways. Their sales are worse. If nothing else 5G will atleast change something. I will be more than happy if they publish stories of different generation. Why should i be stuck with reading about a version of superman or batman or barry allen as flash who bores me?if i get different versions i will be ecstatic.

Incredible Member

I wont be buying 5g but the arrangement, if its true, of moving stuff over to black label suits me better - id rather read some high quality minis with a beginning middle and end and let hopefully a lot of new readers jump in for ongoing number 1s with new characters in the main line.

I cant see it working but its an idea and i will benefit by having stuff moved over to a different imprint so...

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Isn't this every launch? Doesn't seem like it's worth pointing out. Also the 5G stuff hasn't started yet.
    Depends on the new direction as well.
    Tomasi's Supes sold pretty steadily throughout whereas Bendis' one is lesser and in a bit of a decline.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, fans of the old timers, who will get their heroes still published with new stories, would still not support new things ?
    lol, fans are barely supporting the current stories with the characters they love (in case you haven't been looking at the state of the comic industry/sales), what makes you think they will continuously support these new random heroes (after the initial 5G release and sales bump)? like I said, if it was the legacy characters taking over things might look better, but it's not them.

also many people would have been cool with this whole 5G thing if it wasn't a complete replacement of DC's entire main lineup and seemingly what DC comics will become. If it was announced as a timed event or even it's own imprint, would be received better.

and sure, if the OG heroes are indeed going to get some stories in the Black Label, then at least there will still be something left of DC to buy.

Because if so, I feel even less inclined to care about the opinion of those who screams that you must have read decade-old stories to understand why such and such are important characters, this and that defining events and the like.
    I never said that

Also no one cares if you don't like what people think. We're all free to have our opinion on 5G and we're all free to voice our opinions on it as long as we aren't breaking rules or w.e (just as you're free to comment about liking it). So if you don't like what people are saying, don't whine about it.

But the obvious bias among a vocal portion of the fanbase, who shot down everything which isn't just more of the same stories and relationships and generally speaking only want one version of the characters to exist and be published is not helping mainstream comics as a medium.
    wew lad, nice generalisation of all the critics of stuff DC/Marvel does eh. Here's some advice: don't assume stuff to suit your narrative.
    Last edited by voidox; 01-29-2020 at 03:50 PM.