Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Best and Worst MCU/Other Marvel Movies Fight Scenes

With Black Widow and Shang Chi both coming to theaters soon, it is safe to say that there will be an increase in fight scenes for the MCU soon. Over the past two decades the MCU, as well as the other Marvel movies, have tried to give us the best when it comes to their fight scenes. Some have succeeded, while others...not so much.

Best: X2-Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike. Deadpool-DP vs. Ajax. Captain America: The Winter Soldier-Cap vs. Bucky

Worst: SpiderMan 3- Spidey vs. Venom.

Best: Captain America in the elevator

Worst: Avengers vs the Ultron army over someplace whose name I've blanked out on purpose because it was so lame
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

You have to exclude daredevil, otherwise this thread will be just that. I think any fight scene that involves people and is smaller in scale is going to have more of an impact then the CG armies attacking each other. Honestly surprising that the black panther end fight was so bad. It could have been one of the best.

Best:
    Cap Elevator
    Cap/Bucky/Panther Freeway chase
    Iron Man 2 - Race Scene - Not a good movie, but that scene works really well.
    Civil War Airport Fight
    Thor vs Hulk - Ragnarok
    Infinity War Dr. Strange/Iron Man/Guardians Vs Thanos

Mid
    Captain America 1 - Just very unmemorable
    Thor Ragnarok, - end fight. Not bad, just The characters really just run away and let the bad guys fight.
    Avengers 1
    Black Panther - Killmonger vs BP

Worst:
    Thor 2 portal crap - Thor 2
    Captain America 1 - Just very unmemorable
    Iron Man 3, Army and Gwenth Paltrow vs Guy Pierce
    Avengers 2 - All of it
    Ant Man - Just meh.

WORST:
    Anything from Elektra, cause I can't remember diddly squat of it.

BEST:
    Punisher War Zone: Punisher vs the Russo brothers; Billy and Jimmy (like the Double Dragon)
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Best
    McU- either cap and Bucky vs Ironman or while short I loved Dr Strange vs Thanos in IW.

Worst MCU- The fight where Black widow knocked the dude out with her hair in Avengers.

Non MCU is easy Nightcrawler White House attack and Doc Ock vs Spidey.

Worst. Anything else from most the Xmen movies( Except XFC and Logan. They had some good action stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Best

Worst. Anything else from most the Xmen movies( Except XFC and Logan. They had some good action stuff)
    Sadly this does not sound like objectivity film making decisions considering the Quicksilver scene from DOFP is arguably the most famous fight scene in comic movies from 2010-2020. so famous, MCU had to unnecessarily kill off their own Quicksilver.

the best fight scene of a marvel film is from Days of future past. magneto's speech to the world in 1973 as the sentinels kill those mutants in 2023. it is one of the few fight scenes in recent memory that combines fight scenes with major story telling, actual plot depth and drama.

One thing I have learned getting older with mainstream movies is you cannot just have action for the sake of fun, or just to have it, this is where most big budget films go wrong, you can see mix action with some story telling and a means to develop the story.

magneto giving a speech about mutant survival in the past and the mutants fight to the death in the future was the best way to do superhero story drama. there was substance there in that fight scene, because the story was supporting why those people had to fight not just for the sake of it being a superhero film.

you paid attention to magneto's message to the world and his bold attempts to assassinate the president on live tv even more than you enjoyed watching all the VFX fight scene from the movie. this is how you do a superhero movie that is taken seriously as a story driven film. where the vfx is supporting the movie's plot and not the other way around,

Other mentions would be

Spiderman 2 train scene
    Into the spiderverse kingpin vs miles morales
    Nightcrawler at the white house and Wolverine vs Yukrio/lady death strike from X2.

Anything with more grounded practical effects in marvel with less noise and no big massive big world ending destructions are the best.

I am not sure how I feel about most of the MCU fight scenes, personally I find them too animated and too much CGI over Practical effects. Also the fight scenes in MCU is more about having fun than its about fighting to up the stakes and building tension. They can also have jokes to cut most of the little tension the films has.

The worst would be, X-men apocalypse, Deadpool from xmen origins, really bad cgi for deadpool abd wolverine, Avengers 2, Black panther, Amazing Spiderman movies, X-Men 3 fight scenes were quite good but still bad because it was tossed the story. the iceman vs pyro fight was just so superficial and random.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-28-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Ultimate Member

Best- Iron Man vs Captain America vs Bucky, most of the fight scenes in the Winter Soldier, Thor vs Hulk in Ragnarok, Thor vs the Frost Giants in the first Thor movie, Spider-man 2 train scene, Spider-man vs Sandman- Spider-man 3, X-men opening scene, Thanos vs Dr Strange, Daredevil hallway fight in the Netflix series, Punisher prison fight in the Netflix series

Worst- Some of the action in the X-men movies were dull and awful. Elektra had some pretty awful scenes, the Venom movie had a lot of garbage fight scenes,

What are we working with

- Daredevil Netflix-One shot hallway sequence
    - Captain America:Winter Soldier cap elevator scene Opening Sequence
    - Captain America:Winter Soldier The Highway Fight
    - Avengers 2 age of Ultron Opening sequence fight
    -Avengers 2 age of Ultron Hulk vs Hulkbuster Ironman
    - Avengers 1 Battle for NY
    -Avengers: Infinity War — The Battle Of Wakanda
    -Avengers: Infinity War — The Battle On Titan
    -Captain America: Civil War — Cap And Bucky V. Tony
    -Captain America: Civil War Airport fight
    -GotG 2: Yondu Whistle Scene
    -Thor: Ragnarok-Thor vs. Hulk

Best
    1. Captain America:Winter Soldier- I am not just listing one
    2. Daredevil Netflix-One shot hallway sequence
    3. Captain America: Civil War again I am listing all of them together
    4. Avengers: Infinity War -Same as above
    5. Avengers 2 Age of Ultron: Hulk vs Hulkbuster Ironman- To many people hating on Avengers 2. The action in the movie holds up pretty good except for the last team fight against ultron drones.Not a good movie but action scenes are fine

Worse

1. Something from Electra
    2. Something from Spiderman 3
    3. Something from Wolverine Origins
    4. Something from X-men 3
    5. Black Panther cgi fight with Killmonger

BANNED

Best-Wonder Women, the village fight
    Worst-Civil War, the airport battle.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Best-Wonder Women, the village fight
    Worst-Civil War, the airport battle.
    Not a Mavrel film

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Not a Mavrel film
    Ok the best is the San Francisco fight in X3

Best: Auschwitz Camp World War 2 (X-Men 1)

Worst: Thomas the Tank Engine (AntMan 1)

Extraordinary Member

Best:
    Blade 2-Blade vs Nomak
    BP vs Killmonger/M' Baku ceremonial fight
    Iron Man 2 racetrack scene
    Spidey vs Doc Ock Spiderman 2
    Cap elevator scene
    Worst: Most X-men movies ,X2 aside-Russo bros movies without John Wick director.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 01-30-2020 at 04:42 PM.

One of the best that I've come to appreciate more after repeat viewing is:
    -- Cap/Bucky/soldiers/Black Panther in "Civil War": It was a four way fight (five including Falcon but he was on Cap's side) with Cap trying to bring in Bucky, keep him alive while keeping him from killing anyone... Bucky trying to get away and not really caring if the soldiers are hurt, Black Panther trying to kill Bucky and also the soldiers who are there to kill Bucky. The second half with the freeway and Falcon are fine, but the first half in the stairwell was great in using the environment, packing in a ton of characters in an enclosed space, while having a running fight that doesn't stand still.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One of the best that I've come to appreciate more after repeat viewing is:
    -- Cap/Bucky/soldiers/Black Panther in "Civil War": It was a four way fight (five including Falcon but he was on Cap's side) with Cap trying to bring in Bucky, keep him alive while keeping him from killing anyone... Bucky trying to get away and not really caring if the soldiers are hurt, Black Panther trying to kill Bucky and also the soldiers who are there to kill Bucky. The second half with the freeway and Falcon are fine, but the first half in the stairwell was great in using the environment, packing in a ton of characters in an enclosed space, while having a running fight that doesn't stand still.
    Other then Black Widows shaky cam fight at the beginning of that movie I thought all the fights in that movie were done well. But the choreography with Cap and Bucky tag teaming Ironman while passing the Shield back and forth was my favorite.