Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which do you choose: Speed, Teleportation, or flight?

Which power do you choose? Speed, Teleportation, or flight? You can choose how extreme any of them are.

Speed would help me get my tasks done.

Flight is cool, but in the real world? I guess you could become a celebrity, but that doesn't appeal.

I wouldn't know what to do with teleportation except larceny, unless it's on a cosmic scale. For example, it rains diamonds on Saturn, summon some of them.

Yeah, speed for things like reading libraries in a few hours. A lot of those speedsters get souped-up self-healing too.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-27-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Depends on the specifics of each power. If speed actually dilates my perception to the point where I effectively have like 10x my lifespan in subjective years from making use of it, without any bad side effects, then it's pretty much a no-brainer. If flight lets me survive comfortably for extended periods of time at high altitudes, it's pretty tempting too. Jumper-style teleportation would be pretty nuts as well, especially if I can use it fast enough to effectively fly with repeated flash steps.

If the powers are in like, their worst formats, then probably teleportation, as even short range teleporting to places you can see seems pretty fun.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Speed could be maddening if you perceive everyone moving at a snail-like pace. Also very dangerous if you slip and your momentum carries you into a collision with something.

Flight could be dangerous as well, and I'd imagine also dizzying with motion sickness and the pressure changes on your ears, not to mention the freezing temperatures at certain heights, and low oxygen levels... you'd really need a lot of time spent at high altitudes to build up a tolerance for lower oxygen levels before you can fly too high, as well as bundled up in tight thermal wear.

Teleportation is the most convenient, but also potentially the most dangerous if you suddenly teleport yourself inside of another object or a wall or something... but so long the teleportation displaces the air/gas molecules when you arrive, and you can see clearly where you're teleporting to and nothing is moving quickly towards that location, you should be fine. Long-distance teleportation however, may be a crapshoot. If you can't see where you end up, there's a chance a solid object may be there or move there when you suddenly appear... No idea if that'll affect anything since atoms are mostly empty space... but I wouldn't want to risk it.

So out of these three, I think I'd rather pick teleportation.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Depends on the specifics of each power. If speed actually dilates my perception to the point where I effectively have like 10x my lifespan in subjective years from making use of it, without any bad side effects, then it's pretty much a no-brainer. If flight lets me survive comfortably for extended periods of time at high altitudes, it's pretty tempting too. Jumper-style teleportation would be pretty nuts as well, especially if I can use it fast enough to effectively fly with repeated flash steps.

If the powers are in like, their worst formats, then probably teleportation, as even short range teleporting to places you can see seems pretty fun.
    There are no downsides to any of the three powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Which power do you choose? Speed, Teleportation, or flight? You can choose how extreme any of them are.
    Flight would be fun. Speed would be interesting. I really want teleportation. Although, the way you word this as no limits, any of them would get you where you're going just as fast. Except for flight, any of them could be used illegally quite easily which is sort of the problem, that any of them tempt you to use them illegally to make money- again except for flight which would be the hardest to use clandestinely. But, for the fun factor, I would go with teleportation.
    Power with Girl is better.

No downsides? I think I choose speed. I'd get so much done and still travel to wherever I want on Earth and such.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Flight is the most fun, but Teleportation allows myself and my wife the most practical use. Teleportation it is.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Speed. May as well be teleporting and flight is useless when you can just run up buildings or run-on water. All the advantages, and none of the downsides.

Astonishing Member

Teleportation.

Speed. Even at only Quicksilver levels is the bombad of powers. With no downsides it would be amazing.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Teleportation for me. The savings on time and travel alone.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Flight << teleportation << speed in terms of overall power, but that's also the order of dangerous side effects. If you can remove all the many, many dangers of speed, it is my clear winner.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

My only problem with speed is that using it extensively to do bullshit Metroman-style hacks is kind of a downside in itself. Like you have functionally infinite time to do things, but seriously putting that to use means effectively isolating yourself. Especially if you don't have the typical speedster trick of people able to extend your speed to like, the computer you want to use or whatever. It's kind of janky in terms of how you use it, at least.

On the other hand, it's also the easiest one to pull off a one-man-revolution with, and that's tempting all on its own.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    My only problem with speed is that using it extensively to do bullshit Metroman-style hacks is kind of a downside in itself. Like you have functionally infinite time to do things, but seriously putting that to use means effectively isolating yourself.
    As long as there are whole, entire libraries to read, I guess it's still a go for me.

I know everyone's already seen this, but what the heck!