Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    My only problem with speed is that using it extensively to do bullshit Metroman-style hacks is kind of a downside in itself. Like you have functionally infinite time to do things, but seriously putting that to use means effectively isolating yourself. Especially if you don't have the typical speedster trick of people able to extend your speed to like, the computer you want to use or whatever. It's kind of janky in terms of how you use it, at least.

On the other hand, it's also the easiest one to pull off a one-man-revolution with, and that's tempting all on its own.
    Yeah, there's a lot of pitfalls, but this specifies no downsides what so ever. So I assume it works like Wally West-- you can have a conversation at normal speed or zone out so you can run across oceans without getting bored. You also stay mentally well adjusted while being able to effectively live infinite life times. And your speed reflexively kicks in when something blows up or a bullet touches your skin. (Or for some reason when your boring father on law starts telling a story, which is the worst downside I've seen for Wally. But hey, even that is cured here.)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yeah, there's a lot of pitfalls, but this specifies no downsides what so ever. So I assume it works like Wally West-- you can have a conversation at normal speed or zone out so you can run across oceans without getting bored. You also stay mentally well adjusted while being able to effectively live infinite life times. And your speed reflexively kicks in when something blows up or a bullet touches your skin. (Or for some reason when your boring father on law starts telling a story, which is the worst downside I've seen for Wally. But hey, even that is cured here.)
    This is/was the only reason I would choose teleportation over speed.

Like... it takes me 14 hours to drive between Portland and Calgary. I can only imagine the mind numbing frustration and boredom Flash would have to feel if he were to TRULY experience his long distance jaunts at relatively comparable reaction times.

Buuuut it doesnt seem to affect him and seems like the OP gets rid of it. So. Pretty useful.

Still miiiight do teleportation though if it means I can teleport other stuff independently and at great range/scale. It depends.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

Like... it takes me 14 hours to drive between Portland and Calgary. I can only imagine the mind numbing frustration and boredom Flash would have to feel if he were to TRULY experience his long distance jaunts at relatively comparable reaction times.

Buuuut it doesnt seem to affect him and seems like the OP gets rid of it. So. Pretty useful.

Still miiiight do teleportation though if it means I can teleport other stuff independently and at great range/scale. It depends.
    Full blown Flash speed can transport people and objects without destroying them, so.

Full blown Flash speed can transport people and objects without destroying them, so.
    I know, I know.

But think of all the good you could do with teleporting waste into the sun, moving astronauts across the solar system, exploring other parts of the galaxy, removing pesky world killing asteroids etc etc

Maybe you can even teleport disease out of people. Depends on the limits!
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I know, I know.

But think of all the good you could do with teleporting waste into the sun, moving astronauts across the solar system, exploring other parts of the galaxy, removing pesky world killing asteroids etc etc

Maybe you can even teleport disease out of people. Depends on the limits!
    Good point. Waste removal could be handled by Flash though-- just find a ramp to accelerate it up and launch it into orbit. He's done stuff like that before too. But it would certainly be easier with teleportation.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I'm not saying I'm afraid of going crazy from being isolated. I'm saying I don't really like the isolation itself. Like reading a library super fast is still reading an entire library; if you want to actually pull that kind of thing off, you're still spending a subjective year or five reading books. It's not gonna make studying suddenly not boring.

It's not that the power is bad, it's just that the REALLY wild uses of it, and one of the major draws as I would see it has isolation built in as a feature. Even if you reflexively dilate your perception, doing the Metroman-style antics I was referring to still means you're basically living after the rapture while you're doing them, which is a really extended period of subjective time to do that kind of stuff.

I'm not trying to poke holes in the power, just saying one of the uses of it that I was thinking of is not so hot.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I'm not saying I'm afraid of going crazy from being isolated. I'm saying I don't really like the isolation itself. Like reading a library super fast is still reading an entire library; if you want to actually pull that kind of thing off, you're still spending a subjective year or five reading books. It's not gonna make studying suddenly not boring.

It's not that the power is bad, it's just that the REALLY wild uses of it, and one of the major draws as I would see it has isolation built in as a feature. Even if you reflexively dilate your perception, doing the Metroman-style antics I was referring to still means you're basically living after the rapture while you're doing them, which is a really extended period of subjective time to do that kind of stuff.

I'm not trying to poke holes in the power, just saying one of the uses of it that I was thinking of is not so hot.
    You're absolutely correct, but I'm saying that this is directly addressed in Flash comics and they have a way around it. They can pull these stunts off without it seeming to take subjective years from their perspective. It doesn't make any sense but that's the speed force for you.

Now that said, most Flashes (except Bart Allen) can't retain information they speed read for that long. So when Wally read all those engineering books to learn how to build a bridge as if collapsed, he was able to do the project but it didn't stay much past that. That could also be argued as a downside though.

Now that said, most Flashes (except Bart Allen) can't retain information they speed read for that long. So when Wally read all those engineering books to learn how to build a bridge as if collapsed, he was able to do the project but it didn't stay much past that. That could also be argued as a downside though.
    So it's like real life. You need to quiz yourself, review, and deliberately memorize material you want to retain.

And even then if you don't utilize it now and again, it gets all fuzzy.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Knee Jerk Reaction I'd say Flight, but when I think about it, I'd probably choose Teleportation.

Flight is definitely the most fun. However, I'm horrible with directions and not sure it'd be a pleasant experience with bad weather.

Teleportation on the other hand. Definitely the most useful of the three. Time Saved, places I could go, and the usefulness of it all.

At face value, I'd go with teleportation.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Teleportation for me as well. I had asked myself this question before. Speed is useful, but you are still moving through a real world with real world obstacles or people who can eventually figure out that you are moving faster than normal. Flight can be fun, but again you have to deal with weather and other real world issues, just as you would if you were flying a small aircraft.

Teleportation, the biggest problem is the risk of teleporting into a solid object or into a body of water. If you have near perfect control over it (practice, practice, practice) and can plan out ahead of time where you want to teleport to, then there is much less risk. Which makes it the most useful, and the easiest to conceal from others.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Flight is definitely the most fun. However, I'm horrible with directions and not sure it'd be a pleasant experience with bad weather.
    If speed can come with special protective aura, why not flight?

The ability to survive at high altitude temperatures and low pressure, perhaps telescopic vision, or the equivalent of a bird's ability to sense magnetic north.

And since you get to determine the limits, maybe this is near-light flight speed, maybe you can survive on the moon with your "kinetic aura."
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Ever since I was a little kid and saw the "Wink of an Eye" episode of the original Star Trek or my personal favorite, an episode of the Wild Wild West called "The Night of the Burning Diamond", both of which involved people moving at super speed and both being in the days when the only way you could show super speed in live action was for the people moving at super speed to move normally while all the other actors stood as still as they could, I found myself thinking that's how the Flash would perceive reality. He would have to perceive himself as moving normally to mentally keep track and control his actions while he perceived everyone else as standing still. Running around the world would be boredom beyond comprehension, endless days and weeks and months of running from his point of view. So, yes, he would have to have some means of zoning out or "muscle memory" to react without conscious thought.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...69AA&FORM=VIRE

Relevant parts at about 36 minutes to 42 minutes and again at about 47 minutes. This kind of super speed might be fun for a while until the novelty wore off but I'd still go with teleportation.
    Power with Girl is better.

Archmanifestation of YOLO Noldere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Which power do you choose? Speed, Teleportation, or flight? You can choose how extreme any of them are.
    With effectively no limits and no downsides? Teleportation.

As much as I like having flight in games and such, it's not really all that useful in the real world compared to the other two, especially with none of these powers having no downsides. And while speed can arguably be as useful (or more useful) than teleportation, teleportation expands the things you can do in a way that speed simply doesn't.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    Which power do you choose? Speed, Teleportation, or flight? You can choose how extreme any of them are.
    I'll take Hellsing Schrödinger's teleportation thank you.