Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

When it comes to Superman, "realistic" is a relative term.
    Assassinate Putin!

Honestly I want Superman far from realistic. Striving too hard for realisim is I think one of many things that have contributed to his downfall in popularity. I'd love to see them brace the un-realism again instead of telling me real life Twitter burner accounts are part of the reason Superman shouldn't have a secret ID anymore.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Realism is such a broad idea. Realistically, Superman could once again come to a point of abandoning the superhero dust up for how little that solves, but then it's unrealistic to expect a superhero comic to stick to that, you know?

I just hope when it finally comes time to start from the beginning again, they don't let the experiments carry them away. These last twenty years have been so random and although they haven't actually tried everything by any means, they've tried so many things to mild success that I want to see them develop a coherent world of Superman and take it as far as they can.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think we need to remember that part of the reason why they started re-incorporating SA elements back into him in the late 90s/early 2000s was because they started running out of stuff for him to do with all the limitations the Byrne reboot put on him. I'm surprised TAS was able to tell as many good stories as they did for as long as they did given that they were hampered by the same restrictions the books were at the time. Who knows, within a decade, someone who grew up with that version may take over DC and make that the official version again.

And, yes, I think you could write off the last 20 years to some degree and come away with a halfway stable universe. I would argue the only good thing to come out of the Superman comics in the last 20 years was New 52. The best middle ground, far and away, was Smallville.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think we need to remember that part of the reason why they started re-incorporating SA elements back into him in the late 90s/early 2000s was because they started running out of stuff for him to do with all the limitations the Byrne reboot put on him. I'm surprised TAS was able to tell as many good stories as they did for as long as they did given that they were hampered by the same restrictions the books were at the time. Who knows, within a decade, someone who grew up with that version may take over DC and make that the official version again.

And, yes, I think you could write off the last 20 years to some degree and come away with a halfway stable universe. I would argue the only good thing to come out of the Superman comics in the last 20 years was New 52. The best middle ground, far and away, was Smallville.
    I love Superman!! He will always be my favorite superhero!! The best superhero of all time!! That being said, I hated Byrne reboot!! The superman cartoon series on the cartoon network I couldn't watch!! That wasn't superman to me!! It was almost as bad as the truth Arc!! I don't get why they keep trying to depower him. After reading one comic from the truth Arc I threw that comic away!! Superman should always have all his powers. Dc comic should find writers that know how to write stories about heroes that have superpowers!! And stop trying to make every hero into batman!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 01-31-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

TAS was an adaptation launched ten years later though. In some ways it had less restrictions and others more. For comics I think it's interesting to look at the two schools of fans turned creators though: those who reinstate the stuff they like, and those who do something different because someone has already done what they like. They have to share so much that it's not that simple but a lot of times it's kind of like a race between those styles to see what gets established
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Inspired by a thread on the Batman forum:

Let's say that DC does another company wide reboot. I have two questions...

1) What age should Superman develop his powers?

2) When should he start his Super-career?
    1) I presume Kryptonians gains the Super-Abilities once entering a place of lesser gravity, such as Earth, as I never truly remember high-flying action in Krypton itself, so, Clark gains powers once entering Earth.

2) Fifteen, so a SUPERBOY title in the traditional sense returns simultaneously with Superman and Action Comics.

Well I sure hope they don't. There's no reason they can't just do the Gardner Fox solution and make another Earth.

1. From birth.

2. As Superboy.

Incredible Member

Things can always have changed but Doomsday Clock was implying a reboot after 5G.

We already have our post-Doomsday Clock, pre-5G world.

Wonder Woman showed up in 1939. The JSA was founded. She joined

Yadda yadda yadda.

Superman debuted. More or less pre-Flashpoint history with a few tweaks like Conner and Wally’s disappearances. The New 52 stuff happened at the end, more or less, with Clark and Lois married and raising Jon.

We’re probably heading into a new Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

And then we get a reboot in 2025 where Clark, Bruce, and Diana are revamped and Jon and a bunch of people become the heroes of Earth-5G which isn’t going to be spun off into a separate earth until 2025 and it will continue the current continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Honestly I want Superman far from realistic. Striving too hard for realisim is I think one of many things that have contributed to his downfall in popularity. I'd love to see them brace the un-realism again instead of telling me real life Twitter burner accounts are part of the reason Superman shouldn't have a secret ID anymore.
    Yeah, I absolutely agree. Superman's secret identity has always required a certain willingness to accept the mundane-fantastic of him being able to hide himself. If you can accept the glasses, you can accept that he can get around twitter, for Rao's sake!

That's not to say I don't like stories where the artist draws major physical distinctions of body language between Clark and Superman - in fact I love those! But as I've said before, approaching super-heroes from a literal, real-world based point of view, makes them fall apart with astonishing speed! So, you know, don't bloody do it that way!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Things can always have changed but Doomsday Clock was implying a reboot after 5G.

We already have our post-Doomsday Clock, pre-5G world.

Wonder Woman showed up in 1939. The JSA was founded. She joined

Yadda yadda yadda.

Superman debuted. More or less pre-Flashpoint history with a few tweaks like Conner and Wally’s disappearances. The New 52 stuff happened at the end, more or less, with Clark and Lois married and raising Jon.

We’re probably heading into a new Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

And then we get a reboot in 2025 where Clark, Bruce, and Diana are revamped and Jon and a bunch of people become the heroes of Earth-5G which isn’t going to be spun off into a separate earth until 2025 and it will continue the current continuity.
    2026 only has Superman moving ahead again in time while Batman has both a daughter and son. So the new main Earth would still carry on similar 5G stuff except Superman is new to the scene and inspires newer heroes. Wouldn't be a JLA member early on anymore as well.

And then he keeps getting rebooted until he is part of the Losh era. And so on and on.

Also the old Gods probably are why some characters gets moved down to 1939 or other years instead of their original debut years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    2026 only has Superman moving ahead again in time while Batman has both a daughter and son. So the new main Earth would still carry on similar 5G stuff except Superman is new to the scene and inspires newer heroes. Wouldn't be a JLA member early on anymore as well.

And then he keeps getting rebooted until he is part of the Losh era. And so on and on.

Also the old Gods probably are why some characters gets moved down to 1939 or other years instead of their original debut years.
    My point is this:

I think the reboot we’re getting is already here. 5G doesn’t need a reboot although a reboot will likely siphon 5G stuff away later.

Jon likely overstays in the 31st century and comes back as an adult. We get a new Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in the present. No artificial aging needed.

Most of this talk about aging involves reference to Superman’s debut as launching the “space age”, which need not be the literal, historical space age but rather the “Space Age of a Heroes”, which could be 15-20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    2)he becomes an urban legend as a kid, teen and into the adult hood. "the superman" would be seen as some crazy story.
    He gets confused for Batman constantly. The public thinks Batman has superhuman powers and can shoot lasers, etc. While they view Superman as just some guy running around in tights.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    He gets confused for Batman constantly. The public thinks Batman has superhuman powers and can shoot lasers, etc. While they view Superman as just some guy running around in tights.
    Nope! It has nothing to do with batman . Superman didn't want his vigilante activities to be outed,until lois got into trouble.

"no one can find superman"

You seem to have completely forgotten what thread you’re in and missed the point entirely.