Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    You seem to have completely forgotten what thread you’re in and missed the point entirely.
    Where did i?second question was when should he start his career?i said, As a kid. Superman was some sort of crazy urban legend. I didn't mean he's just a guy running around in tights. The guy used to wear police badge challenging authority. Reporters were actively trying to pursue him. Clark would squash any reports on "the superman".If reboot happen,i would put this bullet point origin back in. What does batman have anything to do with this?superman was perceived dangerous and people including lois were afraid of him.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-05-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Literally everything you’re posting.
    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that this thread is entirely about your headcanon. There is no right or wrong here. It’s a hypothetical thread.
    Last edited by TheRay; 02-05-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Literally everything you’re posting.
    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that this thread is entirely about your headcanon. There is no right or wrong here. It’s a hypothetical thread.
    What head canon mate? This is from action comics #1.where did i say others can't come up answers for what they want for the character?i didn't.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-05-2020 at 01:03 AM.

It is obvious we are talking about two separate things and you misunderstood the situation.
    Last edited by TheRay; 02-05-2020 at 01:56 AM.

It is obvious we are talking about two separate things and you misunderstood the situation.
    So, you were saying you want the crazy story aspect like i described but about costumed guy. I thought you were replying to me saying batman being the urban legend.

No, I was taking your idea and expounding upon it with my own.
    I wasn’t adding extra information to what you said.

I’d say as a baby, Clark gets no sun and he doesn’t activate his powers until he is taken outside. Then only mildly - his eyes light up, his baby carriage breaks apart, that sort of thing, so his parents put him back inside, and close the curtains. They only take him out side once a year until he is close to school Age, then increase the outside excursions after they can talk him around what his powers do. School would have to be a nightmare, so his father would have had to train Clark to be a robot. Ignore pestering, and suppress all emotion. I don’t think there is anyway around that.

His public debut would have to be releasing all that suppressed emotion, so he can act in public, and have a personality. When he leaves school at 17 years old, and does a journalism course. I think he has to be able to practise flying in Secret, rescuing people while still in civilian clothes, and stopping disasters, like in Man of Steel.

He only starts thinking about a costume when he decides it’s time to stay and talk to the authorities, and interact with humans. Then he needs a brand.

Bendis should do an Ultimate Superman series.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-17-2020 at 11:07 PM.

1. His powers should show up once he hits puberty and should develop gradually over time. I think it’s important to have the first 16 years of Clark’s life be as “normal” as possible, with him needing to eat, sleep, work on the farm to build muscle, etc, because that provides a baseline reference that lets him relate to humanity. In order his powers would manifest starting with strength, bulletproof skin, x-ray vision, speed, hearing, heat vision, and then after a year into his career, flight.
    2. Supes career should start in his twenties as a fresh out of college new fish in the big city of Metropolis. I’d have Clark spend a year abroad traveling the world for one of his college courses.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    1. His powers should show up once he hits puberty and should develop gradually over time. I think it’s important to have the first 16 years of Clark’s life be as “normal” as possible, with him needing to eat, sleep, work on the farm to build muscle, etc, because that provides a baseline reference that lets him relate to humanity. In order his powers would manifest starting with strength, bulletproof skin, x-ray vision, speed, hearing, heat vision, and then after a year into his career, flight.
    2. Supes career should start in his twenties as a fresh out of college new fish in the big city of Metropolis. I’d have Clark spend a year abroad traveling the world for one of his college courses.
    Pretty much agree with this. While IMO the latter half/two-thirds of Smallville kinda got a little lazy and rely too much on things that happened far later in the comics (similar problems re-occured with later seasons of Gotham), I think the first couple of seasons showed a solid version of Clark becoming used to his growing powers.

I think puberty is too late. I respect the reason why, I just fundamentally disagree that he his early life should be normal. I think it should be very much not normal. I think one of the tasks of Jonathan and Martha should have is in creating an illusion of normalcy to both protect Clark and to give him a good upbringing, and that against all odds they largely succeed at that. Clark feels somewhat normal because his parents work hard to give him a life in which he can feel as normal as possible, but at the same time there are unavoidable aspects that just can't be considered normal. i.e. he should always know and feel that he's different to varying degrees, and there should always be the necessity on his parents' part and then on his own part as he gets older to foster and protect those differences. The most meaningful practical application of this being an early creation of the secret id. I prefer an origin where his parents and himself should have to create the dual identity out of necessity quite early on, as opposed to Clark being allowed to blissfully unaware of anything different till his teen years.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-19-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think puberty is too late. I respect the reason why, I just fundamentally disagree that he his early life should be normal. I think it should be very much not normal. I think one of the tasks of Jonathan and Martha should have is in creating an illusion of normalcy to both protect Clark and to give him a good upbringing, and that against all odds they largely succeed at that. Clark feels somewhat normal because his parents work hard to give him a life in which he can feel as normal as possible, but at the same time there are unavoidable aspects that just can't be considered normal. i.e. he should always know and feel that he's different to varying degrees, and there should always be the necessity on his parents' part and then on his own part as he gets older to foster and protect those differences. The most meaningful practical application of this being an early creation of the secret id. I prefer an origin where his parents and himself should have to create the dual identity out of necessity quite early on, as opposed to Clark being allowed to blissfully unaware of anything different till his teen years.
    Fan of Superbaby then ? I can see an argument for Clark never being “normal” but if Clark is going in all sorts of crazy adventures from early childhood, one would wonder why he feels a desire to leave Smallville. If he’s already got a full career as a superhero under his belt in Smallville, there’s not really much need for a guy who can be a global hero from his family farm to move.

Clark should absolutely have had adventures with the LoSH as a kid, but I would not have him remember them at all until much later in life, and as for solo adventures in Smallville itself in costume? Nah I don’t really want that. Smallville to me is boring and that’s deliberate. It’s the quiet place he grew up in but which he ultimately feels stifled in and has to leave to recognize his potential. Like Tatooine was for Luke Skywalker (and boy did they sure miss the point of that place).

Not Superbaby, but I do think he should have augmented strength even then. Like in the New 52 origin where he accidentally broke Martha's finger playing with her. It not wild yet, but its there, and its not incredibly dangerous because his Kryptonian brain allows him even as an infant to understand in a basic sense that he can harm them so he doesn't.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-19-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    To me there just should never be a "before" and "after" to Clark's abilities.

If we were doing a reboot as this thread asks, I'd get rid of the solar basis for the powers and return to the idea that Clark's powers are actual physical attributes. His skin is invulnerable like steel and you don't have a steel object that becomes harder to damage as time goes on or becoming easier to damage based on changing the wavelengths of light striking it. Or why would his vision be super under a yellow sun but not a red one, while anyone else sees exactly as well in either circumstance. I can see if Superman's eyesight was less effective, if regular people also had a harder time seeing.

The whole red sun thing was added in to explain an inconsistency in Supergirl's origin and then post-Byrne was overemphasized until people began to think Superman was just a solar battery. I'd want to return to the idea that Kryptonians were actually physically superior to us under all circumstances. They might seem equal to us on Krypton, but in reality we'd be unable to survive those conditions (air too thin, gravity to high, too much lethal radiation …).

So Clark would arrive here with skin designed to take more harsh conditions than exist anywhere on Earth and muscles designed to perform under greater stress. He's be "super" from day one and never really able to relate to how Pa needed a heavy coat in winter or Ma needed to stop and catch her breath after going from the basement to the second floor. He'd be puzzled why Lana couldn't read the license plate on a truck a mile up the road or why Pete Ross couldn't find the baseball when it was in deep grass.

I never cared for the gradual powers approach around puberty as it felt like an X-Men origin where Clark's "mutation" activated. I can see that his limits might change the same as any growing child and that if the Kents had been trying to hide his abilities he might not realize just how fast he could run or how much he could lift until he tries going full out as a teen-ager. But as a Kryptonian Clark should always be different from an Earthling in ability the same way that we don't assume an infant Martian lacks telepathy or shape-shifting even if they were born on Earth,

Fantastic Member

I could see some of the physical powers coming in gradually through his childhood with him always being well above the top of the "normal" scale in terms of development (size, strength, speed, language skills) and certainly the converse implicitly being the case via the Jason White hybrid Kryptonian in the oft-maligned Superman Returns is a non-starter.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    To me there just should never be a "before" and "after" to Clark's abilities.

If we were doing a reboot as this thread asks, I'd get rid of the solar basis for the powers and return to the idea that Clark's powers are actual physical attributes. His skin is invulnerable like steel and you don't have a steel object that becomes harder to damage as time goes on or becoming easier to damage based on changing the wavelengths of light striking it. Or why would his vision be super under a yellow sun but not a red one, while anyone else sees exactly as well in either circumstance. I can see if Superman's eyesight was less effective, if regular people also had a harder time seeing.

The whole red sun thing was added in to explain an inconsistency in Supergirl's origin and then post-Byrne was overemphasized until people began to think Superman was just a solar battery. I'd want to return to the idea that Kryptonians were actually physically superior to us under all circumstances. They might seem equal to us on Krypton, but in reality we'd be unable to survive those conditions (air too thin, gravity to high, too much lethal radiation …).

So Clark would arrive here with skin designed to take more harsh conditions than exist anywhere on Earth and muscles designed to perform under greater stress. He's be "super" from day one and never really able to relate to how Pa needed a heavy coat in winter or Ma needed to stop and catch her breath after going from the basement to the second floor. He'd be puzzled why Lana couldn't read the license plate on a truck a mile up the road or why Pete Ross couldn't find the baseball when it was in deep grass.

I never cared for the gradual powers approach around puberty as it felt like an X-Men origin where Clark's "mutation" activated. I can see that his limits might change the same as any growing child and that if the Kents had been trying to hide his abilities he might not realize just how fast he could run or how much he could lift until he tries going full out as a teen-ager. But as a Kryptonian Clark should always be different from an Earthling in ability the same way that we don't assume an infant Martian lacks telepathy or shape-shifting even if they were born on Earth,
    I agree 100%. That was the original basis of the character and we've strayed too far from that. Krypton is supposed to be a planet of supermen.