Hey all! New user here.

I've been trying to find an old horror story I read back in the mid-70's that a friend of mine had. There were multiple stories in the comic, and this one wasn't the main story. I've been looking through issues of horror comics like House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Ghosts, Secrets of Haunted House, etc. and so far no luck. Not sure if anyone here would be able to help me out, but thought I'd give it a shot.

The story is about a sheriff who basically runs a town. I remember him being overweight with a mustache and wearing a hat low so you couldn't really see his eyes. He'd go around giving people BS charges, charging them a $100 fine, or threatening them with a night in jail. I remember one encounter with a couple in a car (convertible I think), where he hits them with the charge, then demands the $100. The guy freaks out and is extremely argumentative. The next panel has the sheriff saying the option is a night in jail, and then the girl pleads with her boyfriend to just pay him so they can leave. Eventually the sheriff collects enough phony fines that he's able to build himself a brand new jail. But he keeps going on with his racket, and comes across a homeless guy and hits him with another BS charge and demands the $100. When the homeless man says he doesn't have any money, the sheriff says the alternative is the night in jail. The homeless man protests and says he can't go to jail because "they" are coming for him. The sheriff puts him in his new jail anyway. Later we see the homeless man's face at the bars and at least 2 shadowy figures show up and they talk to him for a couple of panels. The final panel of the story has the sheriff showing up to find his brand new jail is gone and has been taken away during the night.

If anyone can help me find this comic, I'd really appreciate it!!