Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. Just call them by colour like the Power Rangers. Simple.
    I think that's a perfectly fine idea. I was the one half joking in the above monster block quote that if Billy is "Red Cyclone," the others could be "Blue Cyclone," "Green Cyclone," "Purple Cyclone," etc.

The only problems are that Mary's costume is the same color as Billy's and that "Grey" isn't the most dynamic color for Eugene. And the question of calling them "Blue Shazam" instead of "Cyclone," maybe.

Also, I don't know, I miss when Freddy specifically still looked like a kid, and maybe I'd like to see some of the others stay kids too? Yeah.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I've missed the last few issues of the book--still on my phone, waiting to be read, so I don't know how much, if any, of this has been dealt with in the books-- but I'm almost certain that at some point SBP will make a fourth-wall-breaking comment about the legalities surrounding Captain Marvel's name, and how he's forced to call himself something else. From little images and scans I've seen it appears as if Billy is at least aware that some version of him was called 'Captain Marvel', and I think SBP mentioning that is one of the things will finally push Billy into taking back that name. SBP is DEFINITELY going to refer to Billy by his true name when they meet.
    I don't think so. Most probably every time when SPB is going to say "Captain Marvel", something is going to interrupt him. I think than Geofff Johns would like to use the name but the TPTB at Warner have the name banned, specially with the movie around. It is understandable. I would like to see Captain Marvel use his name again but it is a marketing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Agree. I just wish they'd replace "Marvel" with "Thunder", put Shazam on the cover, and get on with it.
    Mary Marvel = Mary Thunder, etc.
    "Captain Thunder" could had worked. DC ahd the perfect chance to use and change the name with Flashpoint and push the name from there.

Shazam as the hero name only works if there's only ONE member of the Shazam fam. They've been playing coy with the name for almost ten years now, and it frankly doesn't work.
    Maybe because for many years the confusion of using the Shazan word as the title of his bookl caused confusion to people.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I totally forgot to take the movie--which I loved--into account. I think they MIGHT go back to referring to him as Captain Marvel within the books, but yeah, with the movie pushing 'Shazam', I have to now re-think my original premise.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think that's a perfectly fine idea. I was the one half joking in the above monster block quote that if Billy is "Red Cyclone," the others could be "Blue Cyclone," "Green Cyclone," "Purple Cyclone," etc.

The only problems are that Mary's costume is the same color as Billy's and that "Grey" isn't the most dynamic color for Eugene. And the question of calling them "Blue Shazam" instead of "Cyclone," maybe.

Also, I don't know, I miss when Freddy specifically still looked like a kid, and maybe I'd like to see some of the others stay kids too? Yeah.
    I'd use Captain instead the colour for Billy, which leaves Red for Mary. And Eugene would be Silver.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There was a whole thread at one time with people coming up for names for the new crew. I remember Tempest came up for either Freddie or Mary and alot of god inspired names for the rest.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Captain Thunder seems like a fair enough way to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Captain Thunder seems like a fair enough way to settle.
    Agreed. Even when he was Captain Marvel, he spent a LOT of time being called 'Captain or Cap'. So while I love the "Marvel' name... I can compromise with anything that lets him just be 'Captain' again. Thunder, Lightning, Captain Shazam.... I don't care as long as casual conversation I can atleast 'pretend' that he's still Captain Marvel. :P

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Captain Whiz.
    Symbolic in a way when you think about it.

I don't see why they can't call him Captain Marvel. The Thunderworld version was called Captain Marvel.

I will never refer to Shazam! as "Captain Marvel". I even hope that when DC finally reprints the Golden Age Shazam stories they errata all mentions of his old name to his new one.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Most people think his name is Shazam and that was before the official name change. I really don't see why it's so important for Billy to share his name with a character from another company.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Gruenwald View Post
    I don't see why they can't call him Captain Marvel. The Thunderworld version was called Captain Marvel.
    Because they legally can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Because they legally can't.
    IIRC it's that they can't use the trademark Captain Marvel. So they can't sell a book with the name Captain Marvel or an action figure. But calling him Captain Marvel within a story is fine. Power of Shazam did it. Final Crisis did it. Thunderworld did it. The only time they didn't was when Johns took it over with Curse of Shazam.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

And that's the reason people always thought he was called Shazam. His toys are called that, his TV show was called that, his comic has been called that since the 1970s. The horse has bolted, his name now has to be Shazam or something that includes that word.

The best compromise is just to call him Captain Shazam - CC did call Billy Captain in issue 10, I wonder if that'll stick and be used by the other kids? The team name (there's a running gag of different ones being used) should settle on Shazam Family. Use colours for the other kids and you have a way for everyone to call each other something without either using their real names or accidentally untransforming.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I will never refer to Shazam! as "Captain Marvel". I even hope that when DC finally reprints the Golden Age Shazam stories they errata all mentions of his old name to his new one.
    They wouldn't dare do that!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.