Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default (Spoiler) is going to restore Captain Marvel's true name, calling it now.

I've missed the last few issues of the book--still on my phone, waiting to be read, so I don't know how much, if any, of this has been dealt with in the books-- but I'm almost certain that at some point SBP will make a fourth-wall-breaking comment about the legalities surrounding Captain Marvel's name, and how he's forced to call himself something else. From little images and scans I've seen it appears as if Billy is at least aware that some version of him was called 'Captain Marvel', and I think SBP mentioning that is one of the things will finally push Billy into taking back that name. SBP is DEFINITELY going to refer to Billy by his true name when they meet.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

They legally can’t I believe.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They legally can’t I believe.
    They legally can't title a comic by that name. I'm not so sure about an in-comic character. They certainly got away with it from the 1970s through the mid-1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    They legally can't title a comic by that name. I'm not so sure about an in-comic character. They certainly got away with it from the 1970s through the mid-1990s.
    Like you said, they can’t legally put the name on a comic (movie, tv show, etc.) title but the character can be called that in the book itself.

I hope they bring the name back. Or even call him Captain Thunder. Having him just be Shazam has hampered his supporting cast. They still don’t even have superhero names because it’s hard to tack something on to SHAZAM. Shazam Girl? Shazam Boy? Shazam Man? No thanks.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just give him his real name back.
    I don't care if this obnoxious little turd has to be the one to do it. It's so stupid we can't even call Mary by "Mary Marvel" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    This has been brought up in the main SHAZAM appreciation thread; Sadly many don't know the history of the Thrill comics Captain Thunder ashcan copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    But the movie does something weird and interesting that mostly solves the problem for me. It calls Billy's alter ego "Red Cyclone" at multiple points. ... Still, nobody ever calls him that, and the credits just call the adult versions of the other family members "Super Hero Freddy," "Super Hero Pedro" and so on, which is just clunky.
    The movie had more than just Red Cyclone...
    Of course Captain Sparkle Fingers! And More!
    When Freddy uploads all SHAZAMS! deeds to Youtube, you see many of his alternate name suggestions:
    *Captain Thunder! (actually his original Thrill Comics ashcan name (See image above), often invoked by DC, and one of the most popular alternatives)
    Champion
    Thundercrack!
    Sir Zaps-Allot!
    Mr. Philadelphia (both the new book and film take place in Philly)
    Power Boy
    Red Cyclone
    Maximum Voltage
    ZAP-tain America!
    Human Powerstorm
    Chosen One
    So-called Perfect Man
    And many more...

And that's not just the movie, the book has allot of fun with alternate names too. -
    Captain Sparkles
    The Lightning League
    The Thunder Squad
    The Sparkly Friends
    The Super Sorcerers
    The Philadelphia Wizards
    The Magic Men
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4275443

And also made several similar suggestions going way back...; )
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

As far as the names made a few suggestions way back when - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3869352
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3567255

If Freddy is King (besides the Kingdom Come Elvis nod) they could all go by Chess designations: King, Queen, Bishop Knight, Rook.

Although they are not using Marvel, there is no reason they can't still use Captain, and by extension expand on this with the others whimsically all taking Military rank designations, Billy obviously still be Captain, the others different ranks; Lieutenant, Major, General, Admiral, etc... I can see kids having fun with this.

Combine the Rank with their respective power attributes: Power, Courage, Wisdom, Strength, Stamina, Speed.

Another suggestion was just easily referencing their respective Deity Namesakes: Hercules, Zeus, Mercury, etc..

Or even further (to the horror of some here) fully embrace the Power-Rangers motif using their color designations: Red, Green, Blue, ... etc. Or again the rank or attribute combined wit their color .
    All fun!

Also Johns so far is having great fun with it: and the kids debating what name to go by, pretty much their own discussions mirror several ones we had here.
    Although I can't remember anyone suggesting Captain Sparkles! Or the Sparkly Friends ! LOL

They kind of already played with this the first few issues.
    Billy: "I just want something I can say, how about Captain Marv--"
    Even if teased again, and they'll always have fun with it, I doubt it'll be permanent.
    They are way past using the name they can't market, sell merchandise under, and more importantly brand their Movie$$$ with.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-04-2020 at 05:41 PM.

BANNED

Captain Whiz.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Like you said, they can’t legally put the name on a comic (movie, tv show, etc.) title but the character can be called that in the book itself.

I hope they bring the name back. Or even call him Captain Thunder. Having him just be Shazam has hampered his supporting cast. They still don’t even have superhero names because it’s hard to tack something on to SHAZAM. Shazam Girl? Shazam Boy? Shazam Man? No thanks.
    I'd love for them to go with a modern version of Roy Thomas' vision of an African American Captain Thunder. CC Beck's (very great) character belongs to a different time and place.

d6fae270d3712fbb2796cfd284314221-captain-marvel-shazam-jerry-oconnell.jpg

The ship has sailed.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

What's the point? Shazam is already a household name because of the film and captain marvel is obviously a household name for another character. It just seems redundant to go back to that besides to please old school fans.

Yeah. Just call them by colour like the Power Rangers. Simple.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What's the point? Shazam is already a household name because of the film and captain marvel is obviously a household name for another character. It just seems redundant to go back to that besides to please old school fans.
    True. Sadly, the film franchise will decide his name's fate I think. Then again, not every movie-goer is a comic reader so what does the film have to do with the comic (yeah, I know there's synergy at times, but still).

Wait so why didn't they just do that then? I don't get the point in renaming him if they can legally call him that in the book, I'm sure people wouldn't get confused with the Shazam title.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is also true, I thought Shazam was his name when I was growing up
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Agree. I just wish they'd replace "Marvel" with "Thunder", put Shazam on the cover, and get on with it.
    Mary Marvel = Mary Thunder, etc.

Shazam as the hero name only works if there's only ONE member of the Shazam fam. They've been playing coy with the name for almost ten years now, and it frankly doesn't work.