Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Just had a reread of the Superior Foes Omnibus.

I want Edgar Wright to pick this up immediately, forget about any issues he had with with Marvel & make the funniest show we will ever see.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Just had a reread of the Superior Foes Omnibus.

I want Edgar Wright to pick this up immediately, forget about any issues he had with with Marvel & make the funniest show we will ever see.
    There are other film-makers I'd pick before Wright (who I've never been a fan of):

-- Matthew Vaughan, for instance.

-- Steven Soderbergh, though I doubt he would be interested.

-- Andrew Dominik.

-- Guy Ritchie around the time he made his genre work, but these days he's fallen on hard times.

-- The Spike Lee of INSIDE MAN would also be a good pick.

Honestly, if people at Sony were savvy, they'd pitch this to Netflix as a limited series and make it work.

Astonishing Member

Love the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Surprised it's yet to have the cinema or TV treatment. One of the best Spider-Man stories ever and the funniest comic book I've ever read.

One of the best Spider-Man comics of the past decade, maybe the very best.

To me it felt like the 2010s equivalent of a Tangled Web type book, where it wasn't an anthology by different creators but it also focused mostly on things the periphery of Spider-Man's world and characters that he effects.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    One of the best Spider-Man comics of the past decade, maybe the very best.

To me it felt like the 2010s equivalent of a Tangled Web type book, where it wasn't an anthology by different creators but it also focused mostly on things the periphery of Spider-Man's world and characters that he effects.
    I think Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a real original, both in Spider-Man and Marvel.

I mean Thunderbolts was an example of doing a team of supervillains and telling their story but in Busiek's original the T-Bolts eventually redeemed in part. Whereas Spencer makes us care for these supervillains while still keeping them supervillains and not redeeming them.

The dialogue of Superior Foes is just *chefs kiss* in terms of its humor, its nuance, how distinct every character sounds.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There are other film-makers I'd pick before Wright (who I've never been a fan of):

-- Matthew Vaughan, for instance.

-- Steven Soderbergh, though I doubt he would be interested.

-- Andrew Dominik.

-- Guy Ritchie around the time he made his genre work, but these days he's fallen on hard times.

-- The Spike Lee of INSIDE MAN would also be a good pick.

Honestly, if people at Sony were savvy, they'd pitch this to Netflix as a limited series and make it work.
    I definitely like Ritchie and Soderbergh, but Vaughan has too much of a mean streak in his films.

I would love to see a film with these schmucks that is lighthearted without cynicism and unnecessary meanness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I definitely like Ritchie and Soderbergh, but Vaughan has too much of a mean streak in his films.

I would love to see a film with these schmucks that is lighthearted without cynicism and unnecessary meanness.
    Superior Foes is cynical, mean and also lighthearted at the same time. Hard needle to thread, that.