Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doomsday

If anything, this sounds like she is more relevant now.
    True, and the Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel movies among others should suggest that PG's point is even more relevant today than in her origins in the late 70s. Back then she was a character that they're only really now starting to push. Which makes it sad she's sitting her time out. Replace that Supergirl movie with a Power Girl one, and they could have something.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Any character created to fight in WW2 and moved up into the modern day. So maybe Uncle Sam. PG comes in a close second. How do you sell a Supergirl from an alternate Earth to the general public without it sounding confusing? That has more to do with not being able to find a niche for her after COIE more than the character herself. They managed to find a good use for Huntress after COIE. I would say the multiple Green Lanterns. Earth only really needs one.
    I can see plenty of use for characters created to fight WWII and moved up to the present day. To infuse the values of the "Greatest Generation" into the current one. And maybe teach them a thing or two along the way. In essence, the same message they've been giving the JSA since they re-established it.

As for PG, being an alternate universe version of SG isn't really optimal for her, but I don't think it's because anyone in this day and age who is likely to buy a DC comic book or watch a CW/DC show or see a movie will be confused by that concept. It isn't that they haven't been able to find a niche for PG; it's that they've never even bothered to try. They certainly could find her one, and maybe even do a bit of cleaning up that origin story a bit while they're on topic. But that's not a problem with the character; but rather one with how DC and WB have handled her.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doomsday

If anything, this sounds like she is more relevant now.
    She could be, but is that how she's used today?

probably kyle Rayner. he was created to be 'the one and only final Green Lantern'. Since they brought back the corps he's really floundered without his purpose. Ion, white Lantern, anything of the sorts just hasn't been the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You don't say? That right there, yeah, you should stop. Over the last decade, along with a BARE few pre-Flashpoint stories (Countdown to Crisis), Jason has really come into his own.

What's more, the current run of Red Hood and the Outlaws, ever since Rebirth, has been one of the best the last few years. Jason, along with Artemis Grace of the Bana-Mighdall Amazons and clone Bizarro, have formed the "Dark Trinity" and make quite the team. Plus previous stories, where Jason finally calms down from the Lazarus Pit madness...

Yeah. You're missing a LOT on the character.
    He really is Jason has the best bat book out right and arguably the best DC title.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I don't know if they've lost the point, but there are characters that are clearly reflective of the times they were created in that have some difficulty seamlessly transitioning into the modern day, such as Superman and Hal Jordan.

It's interesting that in Green Lantern comics Hal Jordan never seems to work his test pilot job anymore, and it has fundamentally changed the character to the point that his life on Earth and his supporting cast--like Tom--have become beyond negligible. That could have something to do with that job not being as glamorous as it was in the 60s, as drones become more prevalent as time goes on. And basically no one reads newspapers except for senior citizens. That's not to disregard senior citizens, but those papers are clearly on their way out and have been for a while. I know the Daily Planet is such an integral part of Superman, but DC should put serious consideration into updating his work situation, otherwise the characters relevance could fall even further.
    I wonder what would be a good fit for him
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    She could be, but is that how she's used today?
    I'd argue she was to some extent before the reboot. Either way, there's nothing stopping her from being like that now.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't know if they've lost the point, but there are characters that are clearly reflective of the times they were created in that have some difficulty seamlessly transitioning into the modern day, such as Superman and Hal Jordan.

It's interesting that in Green Lantern comics Hal Jordan never seems to work his test pilot job anymore, and it has fundamentally changed the character to the point that his life on Earth and his supporting cast--like Tom--have become beyond negligible. That could have something to do with that job not being as glamorous as it was in the 60s, as drones become more prevalent as time goes on. And basically no one reads newspapers except for senior citizens. That's not to disregard senior citizens, but those papers are clearly on their way out and have been for a while. I know the Daily Planet is such an integral part of Superman, but DC should put serious consideration into updating his work situation, otherwise the characters relevance could fall even further.
    I don't know that Hal's job matters that much in the grand scheme of things outside of the origin. None of the GLs' Earth jobs really matter because all the popular/interesting stuff happens in space. None of the others are doing much better than him in terms of the focused on Earth cast either

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    They tried to make Clark into a news anchor during the Bronze Age, and that had some real staying power. Lasted all the way up until the reboot, and if the Chris Reeve movie had followed suit instead of miring itself in nostalgia, that probably would have stuck around post-Crisis too.

New 52 also flirted with Clark working for a news website, which I thought was an inherently good idea, even if the website being "ClarkCatropolis dot com" was, er, let's say "sub-optimal".

Still, I think that the basic premise of Clark as a journalist, as someone who investigates injustice and informs the public at large about it, is more relevant than ever. It's just, er, the newspaper that's approaching its expiration date. But I think this one can be changed without too many growing pains, as long as too many "make Superman great again" fans don't start yelling over it next time DC tries to change CK's work situation up.
    He should be a Youtuber journalist maybe, it's the step after blogging. Though Youtube also has the image problem of being clickbait and sensationalism, so it's really no different than other news except the media it's in being more popular

The more I think about it, Booster Gold must have been a complete deplorable dipsh!t in his future for him to come to ours "where he'd be received as a hero" and still be a douche. The only point of a douche hero is for him to learn and grow, but his character origin and equilibrium dictates that he'd intentionally choose not to do so, and instead travel further to the past so he wouldn't have to.

It's interesting that in Green Lantern comics Hal Jordan never seems to work his test pilot job anymore, and it has fundamentally changed the character to the point that his life on Earth and his supporting cast--like Tom--have become beyond negligible.That could have something to do with that job not being as glamorous as it was in the 60s, as drones become more prevalent as time goes on
    Hal is much more than just his job though. He represents humanity's willpower/determination to overcome our short comings and achieve our dreams no matter how many obstacles are in our way. Humanity's willpower/determination to reach for the stars no matter what challenges lay ahead of us. You don't have to like the character, but his deep rooted concept is one that will always remain relevant.

. And basically no one reads newspapers except for senior citizens. That's not to disregard senior citizens, but those papers are clearly on their way out and have been for a while. I know the Daily Planet is such an integral part of Superman, but DC should put serious consideration into updating his work situation, otherwise the characters relevance could fall even further.
    Again, Superman is so much more than his job. He represents the best of humanity's "salt of the Earth" values. He's a man with all the powers in the world but remains humble because he comes from modest humble beginnings. He was taken in by 2 complete strangers who didn't have much to offer, but did everything in their power (through hard work and dedication on the farm even when the crops didn't always turn out good some years) to provide for him and give him a loving home despite that. That's something he acknowledged and tried his best to embody throughout his entirety and a concept that'll never be irrelevant.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 02-01-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    He should be a Youtuber journalist maybe, it's the step after blogging. Though Youtube also has the image problem of being clickbait and sensationalism, so it's really no different than other news except the media it's in being more popular
    Youtube has a lot of its own problems in recent years (like appealing to China over journalists and freedom of speech, for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You don't say? That right there, yeah, you should stop. Over the last decade, along with a BARE few pre-Flashpoint stories (Countdown to Crisis), Jason has really come into his own.

What's more, the current run of Red Hood and the Outlaws, ever since Rebirth, has been one of the best the last few years. Jason, along with Artemis Grace of the Bana-Mighdall Amazons and clone Bizarro, have formed the "Dark Trinity" and make quite the team. Plus previous stories, where Jason finally calms down from the Lazarus Pit madness...

Yeah. You're missing a LOT on the character.
    Not really though. RHatO just goes in circles, it hasn't established Red Hood a greater purpose. Red Hood's seemingly purpose now is to keep the creators on him busy. The book established such a low bar that it got praised for not being terrible. Even the so called Dark Trinity. It doesn't actually do or mean anything. They aren't the 3 centerpieces of DC dark characters, as a team they dont really even have a function. They are just the combined left overs from the 3 big franchise's.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-29-2020 at 07:07 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I haven't read a lot of Jason Todd/Red Hood stuff beyond the original story, but it seems to me he's still floating around as one of "the family" and working with heroes who clearly wouldn't agree with his methods. That either compromises the hero or softens Jason, which defeats the purpose either way IMO. I don't think he should die necessarily but any stories involving him should emphasize the original point of his existence.
    Jason is the only good thing dc has to offer right now. Rhato is leagues above anything dc is putting out.

Astonishing Member

It really doesn't sit well with me that Batman is fine with Jason Todd running free and murdering people.