Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Is it just me, or are Marvel/DC writers hinting that they want a crossover?

Things like this:

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-doom-invaded-dc-universe/

and this:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-black-win...s-dc-universe/

and this:

https://www.cbr.com/doomsday-clock-m...ssover-teased/

and a lot of instances I've been hearing of recently where Marvel and DC writers are dropping little references toward each other, it seems that DC and Marvel writers want a new crossover event between the two companies. What do you guys think? Is there a possibility that one is actually in the works or is this just fun, meta references?

A metric ton of creators want it, it'll just never happen because because both companies are part of rival multi-media business empires. The first thing that would need to be done is reprinting the old crossovers.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think there's a question of it at this point. But I do think it could happen, one day. Maybe notnin our lifetimes, but one day.

In the least they do seem to be teasing it. Probably wishful thinking more than anything else though.

The one big disadvantage of Marvel now being owned by Disney, unfortunately. Disney and Warner Bros have been major rivals for many decades - going right back to Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny. They're very unlikely to team up for anything.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well they did team up for roger rabbit, cartoon all stars to the rescue and the lego movie.

Also wb makes Disney lego games for Disney!

No, Travellers Tales make those games. WB are just the publisher.

Also, Lego Movie? If there was any Disney characters there why didn't the Marvel heroes team up with the DC ones?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

iMan 42s

The original Superman will fall into public domain within the early 2030's, even Batman will. If Disney really wants to do a crossover we only really have to wait another decade because while it will be with that specific version, it can be done.

Keep in mind that if it is only going to apply to things from that period (so later works will be off limits until time catches up) but should they want to have Spider-man hang out with Superman again, give it roughly ten years.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The one big disadvantage of Marvel now being owned by Disney, unfortunately. Disney and Warner Bros have been major rivals for many decades - going right back to Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny. They're very unlikely to team up for anything.
    Quick Someone get Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis and yes even Kathleen Kennedy alongside Gary Wolf. It’s time for the Who framed Roger Rabbit/Ready Player One/Wreck it Ralph movie for the superheroes.

Extraordinary Member

There was that James Gunn interview not that long ago where he said that the rivalry between DC and Marvel is rather overblown. And I do agree with him that Disney and Warner Bro. are sort of in the same boat when it comes to superhero movies. What is good for one is certainly good for the other in many ways.

I'd rather not see things degenerate relationships-wise, like the original Justice League avengers project.

You would have to get attorney teams to not attempt to "burn" the other party in negotiations, which seemingly would be their first instincts, unfortunately.

as far as what the project could be, who knows. mini series. one-shot graphic novel?

Just in terms of physical formats, I'd like to see a tabloid-sized with glossy paper presentation. (Yes, more expensive, but keep it real here, you have an audience that will pay for it.) But I'm probably in the minority. Reading the reprints from the 70s and 80s was fun, but I read that they were originally larger-sized in their presentation.

Also, Lego Movie? If there was any Disney characters there why didn't the Marvel heroes team up with the DC ones?
    Lego movie had star wars. Disney owns star wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The original Superman will fall into public domain within the early 2030's, even Batman will. If Disney really wants to do a crossover we only really have to wait another decade because while it will be with that specific version, it can be done.

Keep in mind that if it is only going to apply to things from that period (so later works will be off limits until time catches up) but should they want to have Spider-man hang out with Superman again, give it roughly ten years.
    Its' not that simple. Copyright and trademark law is much more nuanced than that. It wouldn't even be the things from that period, but at most, it would ONLY be the things from Action Comics #1 because everything created after that issue falls under the work-for-hire exception and is considered the work of DC Comics. Also, DC owns trademarks (which never expire) on pretty much everything Superman-related right down to the stylized "S" logo and phrases like "Man of Steel." So, Marvel wouldn't be able to put that stuff on the covers of any comics, making advertising a Superman/Spider-Man crossover a serious challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    There was that James Gunn interview not that long ago where he said that the rivalry between DC and Marvel is rather overblown. And I do agree with him that Disney and Warner Bro. are sort of in the same boat when it comes to superhero movies. What is good for one is certainly good for the other in many ways.
    Yeah, I think that the whole rivalry is something that fans assume is more serious than it actually is most of the time. Plus, I don't know the extent to which the higher ups of either Time Warner or Disney are really that concerned with what DC or Marvel publish. The planning for a crossover would probably just be under the control of DC and Marvel as individual companies, for the most part.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-29-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Time Warner no longer exists. It's Warner Media now, a subsidiary of AT&T.

Extraordinary Member

There was sort of a crossover today in Thor...sort of.