Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default [SPOILERS] Doomsday Clock & DC’s Continuity in Justice League #39

So, in today’s issue of Justice League #39, they mention Doomsday Clock as an out of continuity story. The full issue is out digitally, but someone shared this page from the book that seems to imply that Earth 0’s timeline is broken into different timelines, which is why so many books/events are out of continuity.

Are people reading this wrong or did they just admit that Doomsday Clock was out of continuity and not set in the future? What about the other panels? Is Young Justice out of continuity, too?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

seeing as ma and pa are back in superman books.i doubt it's out of continiuity.
    It would be foolish of dc to do it.regardless of all the delays and problems with the writing of the book.it is very much the most successful book dc had.it sold well and is critically praised. It wasn't lambasted by fans.it wasn't billed as standalone.it doesn't work as one either.

I suspect that Doomsday Clock is mostly out of continuity in the sense that its ending changed the continuity. So the events of Doomsday Clock did happen, just not to the characters fighting Perpetua.

Like, the Superman who confronts Doc. M. had his parents dying when he was still a teenager. The one fighting Perpetua has still Pa and Ma Kent alive and well in Smallville, so he can't have confronted Manhattan... but his parents are alive and well because the previous iteration of Superman lived through the Doomsday Clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I suspect that Doomsday Clock is mostly out of continuity in the sense that its ending changed the continuity. So the events of Doomsday Clock did happen, just not to the characters fighting Perpetua.

Like, the Superman who confronts Doc. M. had his parents dying when he was still a teenager. The one fighting Perpetua has still Pa and Ma Kent alive and well in Smallville, so he can't have confronted Manhattan... but his parents are alive and well because the previous iteration of Superman lived through the Doomsday Clock.
    Well,that isn't what happened. That story still continued even dr.m went back and fixed things.it didn't say timeline ceased to be.after fixing things,legion came back asked clark "remember us,clark".jsa,legion and superman then together went on to solve the problem by punch stuff.This is a mess.

BANNED

Metaverse split the JL world away from the actual line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Metaverse split the JL world away from the actual line.
    If that is the case, is metal 2 going to happen in the split timeline or the main one?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If that is the case, is metal 2 going to happen in the split timeline or the main one?
    Metal 2 for split.

Main is 5G. The regular titles.

Metaverse Earth creates more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Metal 2 for split.

Main is 5G. The regular titles.

Metaverse Earth creates more.
    I don't know about that. I doubt they would do a brand new event on split timeline.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't know about that. I doubt they would do a brand new event on split timeline.
    Can still do event with its own miniseries and one shots and tie into JL.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    So, in today’s issue of Justice League #39, they mention Doomsday Clock as an out of continuity story. The full issue is out digitally, but someone shared this page from the book that seems to imply that Earth 0’s timeline is broken into different timelines, which is why so many books/events are out of continuity.

Are people reading this wrong or did they just admit that Doomsday Clock was out of continuity and not set in the future? What about the other panels? Is Young Justice out of continuity, too?
    For all we know, the "disconnected from your reality" line is a reference to the Watchmen characters. Dr. Manhattan and the rest of them are from a completely different universe within the DC multiverse, after all. And for that matter, events from outside of the DC Universe itself being felt in the DC Universe was actually the entire plot synopsis of Doomsday Clock. The whole point of the story was that the events in the Watchmen universe were spilling over into the main DCU. That's what brought Dr. Manhattan to the DCU in the first place.

Well, the effects of Doomsday Clock are already being felt in-universe. Wonder Woman #750 just showed us that Alan Scott is definitively back in continuity, which is a direct result of Doomsday Clock bringing back the classic JSA. So, I'd say that Doomsday Clock is probably still in continuity.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 01-29-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    For all we know, the "disconnected from your reality" line is a reference to the Watchmen characters. Dr. Manhattan and the rest of them are from a completely different universe within the DC multiverse, after all. And for that matter, events from outside of the DC Universe itself being felt in the DC Universe was actually the entire plot synopsis of Doomsday Clock. The whole point of the story was that the events in the Watchmen universe were spilling over into the main DCU. That's what brought Dr. Manhattan to the DCU in the first place.

Well, the effects of Doomsday Clock are already being felt in-universe. Wonder Woman #750 just showed us that Alan Scott is definitively back in continuity, which is a direct result of Doomsday Clock bringing back the classic JSA. So, I'd say that Doomsday Clock is probably still in continuity.
    I think Doomsday Clock is in continuity for us, but is it for the characters ? Does Superman even know of Manhattan ?

I think Doomsday Clock is in continuity for us, but is it for the characters ? Does Superman even know of Manhattan ?

Him-dr. Manhattan

Incredible Member

Considering the Perpetua is knocking on the DC Multiverse, I say that what we're dealing with is a slight ripple effect, similar to Superboy Prime's punch onto reality. Ergo, "reality" was slightly changed (i.e. the LSH are "back", but it's Jon Kent, not Clark, as being the inspiration for the Legion). Remember: Doomsday Clark was suppose to have come out on a timely basis, in the wake of the Nu52's creation, but was marred with delays. Meanwhile, everything else advances, as if nothing has happened (in regards to the Doomsday Clock event).

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Considering the Perpetua is knocking on the DC Multiverse, I say that what we're dealing with is a slight ripple effect, similar to Superboy Prime's punch onto reality. Ergo, "reality" was slightly changed (i.e. the LSH are "back", but it's Jon Kent, not Clark, as being the inspiration for the Legion). Remember: Doomsday Clark was suppose to have come out on a timely basis, in the wake of the Nu52's creation, but was marred with delays. Meanwhile, everything else advances, as if nothing has happened (in regards to the Doomsday Clock event).
    So clark was superboy without legion. Well, that's boring.

Can I just say that Manhatten is so much more interesting as an overarching villain then Perpetua ? She feels like a 90s videigame villain