Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Justice League #39 Discussion/Spoilers

This was pretty much admitting defeat in every sense of the phrase.

Scott Snyder finally, and I mean FINALLY, concludes his run and does it in a way that is unexpected and yet underwhelming at the same time. It turns out that the Justice League asked for help of the people of Earth and... they actually lost. People decided to not help them and thus Perpetua ended-up winning and the team ended in some sort of limbo where they have to witness how stories that are going around right now outside of this book don't work with their reality.

And there are many things to take from this "finale". My personal interpretation is that Snyder himself realizes that his Justice League run was not as good as he wanted and thus the people of Earth (AKA readers) rejected it and he's forced to see how his vision doesn't work with the new direction that DC is creating. This actually makes me see Snyder as more self-aware than I ever expected.

That being said, I wish things were that way but I doubt so and even if that was the case, it doesn't stop this from being a completely unsatisfying resolution because you immediately realize that this overly-long story was worth nothing since Perpetua won anyway thus making the efforts of the team useless and showing how annoyingly OP Perpetua is.

Jorge Jimenez and Daniel Sampere share the pencils and their work is solid for the most part but at this point I think they deserved better.

And that's how I would call this title: It deserved better. It deserved better than Snyder's worthless run, a run that derailed many other books with stupid events and accomplished nothing as a whole. I'm not expecting much from Robert Venditti's upcoming work on Justice League but at the very least I know that he won't create a forced direction for other series.

Tell us how you really feel.

Anyone who read the solicits knew that the League was going to fail. Storywise, the heroes losing at a turning point is a long standing trope that doesn't necessarily invalidate the heroes' struggles. Personally, I think this run has had its ups and really low downs but I like the ending. Seemed epic even in defeat particularly when all those figures showed up on the end.

It was very clear to a lot of people that this run was one big set up for the metal sequel. Now that they've opened the door to "everything" the new timeline technically starts and we'll see the changes in the coming months that'll lead to 5G. Probably?

Great art. 7/10.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Tell us how you really feel.
    I think I did pretty clearly and frankly.

Personally I found the story to be pretty ok, I genuinely found it to be fun and Snyder usually in his writing does the crazy stuff that I love to read from my comics. However I do have a bit of a problem with this “conclusion”, in the fact that it isn’t one. See this has been a big story event for DC, it’s spanned multiple issues and they did the whole year of the villain banner around titles, but they don’t properly conclude the story. Instead it looks like we have to follow Hell Arisen and it’s storyline with the Secret Six and the Batman who laughs, which by the way was a completely separate storyline on its own outside Doom War, and then we will find out where the Justice League went in...I guess were calling Mayhem or Death Metal. Like next issue from Vendetti who I have nothing against and like, is pretty much writing filler that seems deattached from how this issue ends.

I don’t mind if you wanna set up for your next big story, that’s fine, but you can’t go into that when we haven’t finished the story we are in and it’s not likely to finish in the series it started in but in a separate mini-series all together.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Personally I found the story to be pretty ok, I genuinely found it to be fun and Snyder usually in his writing does the crazy stuff that I love to read from my comics. However I do have a bit of a problem with this “conclusion”, in the fact that it isn’t one. See this has been a big story event for DC, it’s spanned multiple issues and they did the whole year of the villain banner around titles, but they don’t properly conclude the story. Instead it looks like we have to follow Hell Arisen and it’s storyline with the Secret Six and the Batman who laughs, which by the way was a completely separate storyline on its own outside Doom War, and then we will find out where the Justice League went in...I guess were calling Mayhem or Death Metal. Like next issue from Vendetti who I have nothing against and like, is pretty much writing filler that seems deattached from how this issue ends.

I don’t mind if you wanna set up for your next big story, that’s fine, but you can’t go into that when we haven’t finished the story we are in and it’s not likely to finish in the series it started in but in a separate mini-series all together.
    Crisis during May confirmed? /s

Yeah, I think the biggest downfall for this company wide "event" was 1) how long it's taking and 2) how aimless it seems at points. Many of the forced tie ins really hurt ongoings (like Wonder Woman) though I admit some books used the banner well (like Flash).

I get what they were trying to do here but a LOT more planning and communication needed to be put into it.

But now the tie ins are done, JL is over except for fillers set in the past, and He'll arisen ends in April. Maybe things can look less messy now.

Did they seriously say that not only Doomsday Clock, but also Young Justice, are AU? If YJ is alternate universe then so are all of Bendis's books (Superman, Action, Legion) and the other Wonder Comics. This doesn't clean up continuity, it destroys it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Absolute trash.

I cannot believe this is how Snyder wraps up his run.

It was all for naught, I blame myself with sticking to this bloated non sensical run

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did they seriously say that not only Doomsday Clock, but also Young Justice, are AU? If YJ is alternate universe then so are all of Bendis's books (Superman, Action, Legion) and the other Wonder Comics. This doesn't clean up continuity, it destroys it.
    Well doomsday clock now sits unwell with me if it is an alternative universe

This run hasn't been my favourite, it's just seemed to wander onwards obsessed with perpetua going nowhere

And I haven't got to the ending yet which now really worries me

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I mean they said only some disconnected but still impactful so I think that was only referring to Doomsdays Clock. Maybe? Idk it's confusing.

They were shown on the same page.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Have to read Hell Arisen and Death Metal to get the ending.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Have to read Hell Arisen and Death Metal to get the ending.
    I prefer ignorance.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

It was ok actually. Heroes will fail and all they did before were for nothing was long established
    But this time Scott actually did better at this time( I mean like Metal, Scott always couldn't hold what stories he started, He always offering some good ideas and beginnings but afterward a trash ending)
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Mighty Member

I remain shocked that we still don't have a start-date or official announcement for Snyder's event that has to be ending this story. I mean, it'll be Death Metal w/Capullo (or something like that), but does it start in May with Free Comic Book Day? Will it be June? Is anything acting as a prologue (like Dark Days) or is Hell Arisen it?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

A meaningless and shallow run with an irresponsible ending.