Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I have to give props to Hickman for digging into X-lore and putting all of this together. He knew Synch was a fan favorite and people were clamoring to see him again (even before we knew of the protocols), molding the Vault concept to fit their powers and then creating this sense of urgency and danger. It's absolutely fantastic. And it addresses some of the talk about deaths being meaningless - well in this case we don't even know if they're dead or not or lost forever.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member

Thing is, when these characters come out, they should be unrecognisable. When none of them are more than a de facto twenty years old or so going in (actual ages screwed up by death/stasis/cloning/etc) and they spend a thousand years getting SORAS'd, the lived experience should change them into entirely different people.

[Well, Synch and Darwin should be (since Darwin is immortal, and Synch can mimic his power provided they don't get separated for too long), X-23 should just be dead (remembering that she was dying in "Old Woman Laura" of clone degeneration, a mere couple of decades down the line. If we ignore that, she'll still be older than "Old Man Logan" was.)]

An AU from Taylor shouldn’t affect anything being done in Hickman’s story. AFAIK, “clone degeneration” isn’t anything affecting Laura and she should be able to age like Logan did when he survived at least 1000 years in one of Moira’s lives.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Bringing back Synch, Darwin and Laura as Wolverine just to send them on a thousand year long mission is pure BS of the highest degree. Things like this is why Marvel needs less white male writers on their writing, editorial and upper management staff.

The thing that bothers me the most isn't how they tone deafly sent the characters. But they arent even focusing on how the three characters feel about being the sacrificial lambs for it but how Cyclops feels about it. It's classic white male storytelling about how we need to focus on how bad the white male must feel about sending these non-white men on a suicidal task rather than putting the focus on where it belongs which is the people making the sacrifice. They literally didnt even have a single panel with any of them expressing any kind of real emotion except having Synch play the token black guy who makes a joke about the situation.

A comparative example would be Hickman's story with the mission to the Mother Mold in the sun. They showed the mission from the team's POV and went over how each of them felt about what was going on. They didn't just have Xavier assign them the mission then say "Months later" and have Xavier talking to Magneto on Earth about 'oh well they should be at the sun now" and Xavier then starts to lament about sending his students on a suicide mission.

Which is another-another problem. They're saying that the parameters of the mission means they may not be able to be properly resurrected so again the people that are PERFECT for this job are two POCs and a female version of Wolverine.

As I said the whole narrative and set-up of this is problematic and wouldn't have happened if they had actual gender and ethnic diversity on their staff.
    This book is very Scott Summers centric. I am hoping there will be a big pay off and this will lead to something big (storywise and for the characters used). There have been hints that this book will lead to something more. So I am hoping that Synch, X-23, and Darwin will return soon and will have more of a role to play. I am hopeful but we shall see.

Even if "clone degeneration" is a problem, isn't Synch a get out of jail free card for that?

He just needs to synch with Laura and/or Darwin, and then they can just give Laura a blood transfusion as a booster shot

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Even if "clone degeneration" is a problem, isn't Synch a get out of jail free card for that?

He just needs to synch with Laura and/or Darwin, and then they can just give Laura a blood transfusion as a booster shot
    If a transfusion from Synchverine would work, a transfusion from Gabby would have fixed Laura in OWL.

[Does Darwin even *have* blood?]

In Powers of X we have seen that Logan was pretty healthy a thousand years in the future.

Laura is gonna be ok, "clone degeneration" is a future of so many.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Problem is, how long. Percy said Laura would camio in xforce and wolverine so we know they be out eventually (unless flash backs or the antagonist of wolverine is a Laura who went insane after spending thousands of years in the vault being experimented on. Also I never liked time travel age ups unless it's under a few years) but at best this will happen in may the earliest and unless we get cuts to what's happening to them I dont think intrest in the plot will hold intrest for that long. (And hyping them up to throw away for months on end is kind of a dick move I want double wolverine team ups).
    Well, three months and five days from today is May 4th. Is Giant Size supposed to be six or five one-shots? Either way, it could be in the fourth one that they come back. That would be pretty neat actually, if the time given was kind of a hint for their return.

Astonishing Member

Hey, whas it ever brought up what they do for food ? Are they going to eat Laura? If so what she tast like ? I'd expect less surgery then gabby and less alcoholic then Logan. Also how dose bathrooms work ?
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 01-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Hey, whas it ever brought up what they do for food ? Are they going to eat Laura? If so what she tast like ? I'd expect less surgery then gabby and less alcoholic then Logan. I
    Children of the Vault need to eat so there must be some source of nutrition. Darwin and Synch can adapt to consume it and Laura's metabolism can probably resist things that a normal person could not eat.

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    If a transfusion from Synchverine would work, a transfusion from Gabby would have fixed Laura in OWL.

[Does Darwin even *have* blood?]
    Synch can sometimes manifest a more powerful version of the powers he synchs. If he can somehow combine both Wolverine and Darwin's powers, he'd probably manage to create some powerful immortal blood.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Well, three months and five days from today is May 4th. Is Giant Size supposed to be six or five one-shots? Either way, it could be in the fourth one that they come back. That would be pretty neat actually, if the time given was kind of a hint for their return.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member

So they become jedi ?

BANNED

This conversation about eating Laura and what she might taste like feels naughty. Though I'll understand if they eventually resort to that in more than the literal sense. There's only so many ways you can have fun in five centuries.

Detective vibes. I like it.

And this was mentioned previously but as a reminder:

AIPT: You touched on them a bit earlier, but Laura and Gabby kept the Wolverine legacy alive and well while Logan was “dead.” Can we expect to see Logan finally get some quality time with his extended family (and Daken too) in this series?

Benjamin: Stay tuned. To Wolverine. And to X-Force.

Unless he's referencing flashbacks, we'll be seeing Laura fairly soon it seems.

P.S. If this does indeed spin-out into a new book, that'd be dope.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!