part 3
    part 4
    part 5
    part 6
    part 7
    part 8
    part 9
    part 10

Hello folks! This week I got a pm by our mighty mod NZ_Inferno with multiple fill in reviews for me to use, many thanks for those NZ!

This week's review will be one of those fill ins (one that suits the current Guardians of the Galaxy craze), it will be NZ_Inferno's review of Annihilation Conquest!

Annihilation Conquest Oversized HC Volumes 1 & 2
    (Spoiler free review)

Annihilation Conquest(Conquest) is the follow up and direct sequel to the 2006 event Annihilation, one of the best events Marvel has ever released. It's also the start of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's(DnA) work on Marvel cosmic.

Conquest is done in a similar fashion to Annihilation with three mini series and a one shot leading up to the main event itself. Volume one of the series collects the Quasar and Starlord mini-series written by Christos Gage and Keith Giffen, plus a prologue for Conquest.*

DnA wrote the main series, and the Nova tie in issues which are all collected in Volume 2 along with a Wraith miniseries by Javier Grillo-Marxuach.

The Annihilation Conquest Volumes on the shelf

Annihilation Conquest follows a similar set up to its predecessor, with a massive galaxy-threatening enemy to deal with and cosmic space opera and action abound. Many characters from Annihilation appear, as well as new and familiar characters to those who have tread the cosmic pathways before.

Each character has time to shine and have their tale told, and the mini-series of Starlord & Quasar plus tie ins of Nova help accomplish this for the title characters as well as others.

The Conquest event itself is suitably epic, and although not as good as Annihilation its still worthy of being next to it on the bookshelf. The Starlord mini is a particular favourite of mine, a crazy team up and having a lot of heart and humour.*

A couple of pages from the Quasar mini

A special mention must go towards the art which considering the disparate artists involved is universally superb, and is fitting for the cosmic tale being told. Action, widescreen vistas and highly detailed alien creatures abound yet all are drawn and coloured superbly.*

The complete Annihilation Conquest is only available in the OHC volumes shown, which are sadly OOP but well worth trying to pick up even at cover price. They are well made, with leather covers, good*paper and a solid glued binding.

If you can wait, with the recent printing of the Annihilation Omnibus it is entirely possible that Annihilation Conquest could be a Omnibus release for the near future.*

He gives the book overall a 9 out of 10

Editor's note- For everyone that enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy movie, Annihilation Conquest is where the team from the movie first formed and leads into the (imo) very good Guardians of the Galaxy run also by DnA. So if you enjoyed the movie, read this next.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Congrats to NZ_Inferno!

I really, really loved Annihilation, but for some reason Conquest never grabbed me the same way. Guess it's time for a reread.

I actually didn't intend to write this short review, but I finished the second book just before I started writing up another review and ended up doing it on Conquest. Must have been on the brain.

I didn't realize that the OHCs where the only way the series had been collected, you can't get it in tpb as its partially collected that way. Easy books to reccomend but they are well OOP now.

I haven't read these, because by the time I was interested in cosmic Marvel it was already OOP. Hopefully, the Abnett/Lanning selling well will mean a new printing soon.

I was wondering, would collecting these and the two Kings collections in an omnibus make sense or is there not enough (any?) connection between the stories?

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    I haven't read these, because by the time I was interested in cosmic Marvel it was already OOP. Hopefully, the Abnett/Lanning selling well will mean a new printing soon.

I was wondering, would collecting these and the two Kings collections in an omnibus make sense or is there not enough (any?) connection between the stories?
    I think you would have an Annihilation Conquest Omnibus and a War/Realm of Kings Omnibus. You could do both but it would be a bit strange.

All the stories are connected, with Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings and Thanos Imperative being "events" that occur one after the other with their corresponding mini-series and one shots. Then there is the Nova series and Guardians of the Galaxy series, both by DnA, which tie in to all of them from Conquest onwards.

Are there tie-ins that aren't in the OHC? I'm just going by size in that picture. The only thing there I have is The Thanos Imperative, and those two Conquest books look like they'd make a rather small omnibus. Although, I guess Infinity isn't very big, so nevermind.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Are there tie-ins that aren't in the OHC? I'm just going by size in that picture. The only thing there I have is The Thanos Imperative, and those two Conquest books look like they'd make a rather small omnibus. Although, I guess Infinity isn't very big, so nevermind.
    Well, you have the main 6 issues, the Quasar and Star Lord which are both 4 issues long, the Nova tie in issues (I thought there were 12?) And the Wraith mini. Those are enough for an omnibus
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47