Default Zatanna vs Jamie Braddock

Zatanna vs Jamie Braddock,

* 616-version for Jamie.

* Current version for Zatanna.

Standard arena match.

(If this is stomp for Jamie, give Zatanna composite feats for both post-crisis and current versions.)
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.

So, those of you familiar with Zatanna, what are her most powerful feats?

I know she's come a long way from just controlling air, earth, water and fire. I gather she's below Dr. Fate and Dr. Strange, but still extremely impressive.

i don't think she'll beat Jamie with dimension dumping, though. He'll just come back under his own power.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-29-2020 at 11:34 PM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I've not read any current Zatanna so I don't know if she's meaningfully changed in terms of her scope.

Post Crisis, at her peak, she was like "If I can say it backwards, I can probably do it," which is a pretty big gun.

I don't really recall what Jamie's powers ended up being.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I've not read any current Zatanna so I don't know if she's meaningfully changed in terms of her scope.

Post Crisis, at her peak, she was like "If I can say it backwards, I can probably do it," which is a pretty big gun.

I don't really recall what Jamie's powers ended up being.
    Indeed. One that stands out to me was taking out Despero with a single word, on a day Despero was soloing the League.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Indeed. One that stands out to me was taking out Despero with a single word, on a day Despero was soloing the League.
    What was the word, the particular effect?

The problem for Zatanna is that she has to speak, whereas Jamie only has to think. It means he's going to win the quickdaw of "will something horrible to happen to the other person"

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    The problem for Zatanna is that she has to speak, whereas Jamie only has to think. It means he's going to win the quickdaw of "will something horrible to happen to the other person"
    I think he has to grab her "quantum strings" (unless he's evolved beyond that to no-gestures reality warping). But yeah, just performing a quick ripping motion with his hand should be faster than speech. So if it boils down to the quick-draw, yeah, most probably right.

I figured for raw power they'd be about equal, although Jamie has greater physical durability for things like shooting him in the head and other stuff Zatanna wouldn't do anyway.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Ripping motion versus 'Pots'. Could be close.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Ripping motion versus 'Pots'. Could be close.
    Huh. Okay, that's fair. Kind of an even match when you put it that way.

I guess Z would be used to taking really fast, sort of like the two leads in "Gilmore Girls."

I also think low-entropy magic like telling Jamie to "Pots" or "Peels" would be much more effective than trying to actually damage or destroy him.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-30-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Huh. Okay, that's fair. Kind of an even match when you put it that way.

I guess Z would be used to taking really fast, sort of like the two leads in "Gilmore Girls."

I also think low-entropy magic like telling Jamie to "Pots" or "Peels" would be much more effective than trying to actually damage or destroy him.
    I haven't read much with either character but I do remember one where Zatanna has practiced thinking and speaking backwards so much she can do it as fast as anyone else can think and speak forwards. So, yes, threatened with, say, someone about to shoot her, she'll yell "Pots" as fast or faster than most people would yell "Stop". So it may really come down to nothing more than which of them has the faster reflexes.
    Power with Girl is better.