Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fallen Angels [06]: APOTH (Series Finale/Spoilers Review)

It's time for war and Psylocke and Apoth have both brought their soldiers. As Bling!, Husk, X-23, and Cable fight against the Overclock victims, Psylocke reflects over how she's never had the inkling to be a hero before. She's always been a bringer of destruction and everyone involved in her life has suffered because of her. But she snaps out of it when she remembers what she came to do and who followed her to this mission because of her cause.

X-23 fully evolves into her leader role, commanding even Husk and Cable. Cable has an idea that could give Psylocke the clearnce she needs while stopping the horde and X-23 says to make it happen. So Cable, like the manic teenage soldier with clear PTSD he is, clears the battlefield with a BOMB made of modified phosphorus. The Overclock zombies back off as a ring of fire now encircles the four.

Psylocke, following the cocoon process that's been evident throughout this mini, manifests psi-wings to propel her up Apoth's tower. Arriving at the level to deal with Apoth, she puts on the modified Overclock tech and they meet each other in the Cyberspace. Apoth laments that her mutant status keeps her from fully connecting with him, but his powerless is limitless here and she has no chance of beating him.

Meanwhile back on the ground, Laura tells the team that if they don't help Psylocke then the Overclock virus will spread and infect all of humanity. Cable says that she doesn't want her help, to which Laura responds: "I don't care what she wants." Before anything else can ensue, an Overclock victim jumps through the fire and tackles Husk. He's begging for death and tries clawing at Husk but gets shot in the head by Cable. Laura yells at him but Cable says that he was already dead and that they need to save the ones that aren't. Laura then jumps out of the circle and runs off to nonlethally take down the afflicted. Bling! asks what they should do and Cable says they need to help Laura save lives. Husk tells them to follow her.

On the Cyberspace plane, Psylocke has reached her center of tranquility and manifests herself up in Karuta armor and a war shield. Apoth unleashes all his power, but Psylocke guards herself and begins walking towards him. Apoth transfigures himself into Psylocke's sensei, Matsu'o, and her daughter. But none of them stop Psylocke. Apoth, as Psylocke's daughter, begs for mercy and says that he won't fight anymore. Psylocke pushes on and stabs Apoth through the gut with her psiknife. There is an explosion that stops the infection as the Apoth we saw at the end of #4 comes out of the debris.

He explains that he is the other aspect of the being Apoth, a noble one. Apoth was always binary and for the homo novissima part to exist, there needed to be an adversary/opposite to stop him. Without his attachment to his other half, there is no longer any need for his existence. Psylocke quickly asks why he didn't just stop his half to begin with, but Apoth says he did because he sent her.

Epilogue on Krakoa

Psylocke and Laura meet back up after the mission. Laura tells her that they can be something together, but Psy explains that she needs to be set free of Psylocke. She explains that Laura is not only a better leader but a certain one. And instead asks for her friendship as they hug.

Bar Sinister

Psylocke returns the tech to Sinister. She explains that she isn't as powerful as Xavier or even Captain Britain, but there are echoes of Apoth in her mind. She asks that Sinister destroys it but knows he won't Sinister says they can just pretend he did. Before she leaves, Sinister asks her that if he ever needed her on a mission, would she join him. Psylocke said as long as he can find her and if the need is just. (H E L L I O N S)

Back out on the open fields of Krakoa, Psylocke leaves us with these few last words:

You did a good thing. You can do good things. I can.

--The End--

Astonishing Member

This was a good ending. I'd love to know what hill would have done with bling! and husk if it continued.

We didnt get her name which is the only thing that bugged me.

But the writer stated he's passed that on to Zeb Wells to take on.

So here's hoping it gets wrapped up.

BANNED

So much for the whole "Cable betrays X-23" thing from the solicit.

Was it him shooting that creature? LOL

Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    This was a good ending. I'd love to know what hill would have done with bling! and husk if it continued.
    We'll he couldn't possibly done less with them. In the two issues featuring Husk and Bling, the story continued to focus on Psylocke, X-23 and Cable. They may as well have just kept the team at that.

Mighty Member

Bring on Hellions. This ending was bad. Overall I think the first issue and last issue were the best of the series.

"I'm a god here!"

Spends most of the fight begging Psylock not to kill him. Meh.

I liked Psylocke's astral armor and shield

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    "I'm a god here!"

Spends most of the fight begging Psylock not to kill him. Meh.
    The fight was very anticlimatic...