Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Manon and Maxime were the best part about this little filler arc. Their misguided attempts at trying to help people just to fit in shows their still damaged from being hounds. I personally find them intresting they both have amazing future potential as X-Men IMO. I'm curious too see if this storyline will comeback someday, Beak and Angel are both just casually living on Krakoa with fake implanted memories now it's lowkey fucked up. Also considering Manon is the one who plants fake memories and Maxime is just an empath I'm curious as to why he said he could give them their memories back I assume it must be a secondary mutation of somesort...

It was really a good issue IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    can we just give tabbhy exodus' council seat, it's exodus so no one will even notice
    Exodus is the cream of the crop on the council.
    If anyone deserves the boot, its Mis-Teeq

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Exodus is the cream of the crop on the council.
    If anyone deserves the boot, its Mis-Teeq
    Preach, girl!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Manon and Maxime were the best part about this little filler arc. Their misguided attempts at trying to help people just to fit in shows their still damaged from being hounds. I personally find them intresting they both have amazing future potential as X-Men IMO. I'm curious too see if this storyline will comeback someday, Beak and Angel are both just casually living on Krakoa with fake implanted memories now it's lowkey fucked up. Also considering Manon is the one who plants fake memories and Maxime is just an empath I'm curious as to why he said he could give them their memories back I assume it must be a secondary mutation of somesort...

Yeah the twins are former hounds. In POX/HOX the first Sinister line of mutants were created mirroring the Hound program. I wonder does Sinister already have the information needed to create his own version of the Hound program, it is possible? Or he might acquire it later via the twins in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think DoX could get away with some "mundane" villains, tbh, especially in a storyline about checking up on friends and family left off the island. But yeah, this doesn't sound like it's in the banality-of-evil category, just a lot of stock tropes not welded together with enough ott craziness to be really out there. But these are the filler issues while Hickman handles the A-plot. Brisson probably has something that holds together better in mind for when he gets to tell an uninterrupted story.
    I wish this had been more one-and-done to fit the limited space. Like having this be a sympathetic villain who was also too poor to get Krakoan medicine would’ve been a perfect mirror to Beak’s family and how the rich tend to pit the poor against the poor for resources. But instead this was only to set up something bigger and we’re already getting another Cartel in the Wolverine solo. But luckily, this is just one miss in what’s otherwise a big creation of a lot of great, new villains across the Dawn of X books.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This got so unnecessarily dark in an effort to make the Bohem Cartel a credible threat. They were set up to be a recurring antagonist, but I'm really very uninterested in seeing them again. Other writers have made similar groups and they are much better executed. Boom Boom was the only highlight. The art is technically fine, but I don't like it. It is going to be such a rough tonal shift when Brisson takes over full time and I don't know that I'm going to stick around for it.
    Cartels are fucking terrifying and make incredible antagonists when written by someone who knows how to effectively portray how evil they actually are. Don't let 80's D.A.R.E. inspired action movies fool you into thinking they aren't the ultimate modern nightmare.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

So we get no answers to why the hell these guys were there? How did they a) know when the kids were coming with Krakoa medicine, and b) get to Wisconsin for this?! Or am I getting my states mixed up?

I was expecting Angel to snap at the kid, because this nightmare only happened when they came along. Instead they're living in Krakoa with a mindwipe. That's pretty heinous.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I agree. I'm really interested in seeing how they are handled in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Part of the problem of them having all mutants form a country together regardless of good or evil, we’ve lost so many actual good villains to the point that it comes to this.

That is a strength of the run making new villains, one of the biggest problems is X-men rehashing/remix the same stories with same villains and doing them worse. The last big apocalypse stories have been trash, Mystique story is the same thing every single time the X-men trust her and she betrays them. The Brotherhood/Acolyte stuff has been bad, The Hellfire stories have been hot trash, The only person who has had good stories was recently Mr Sinister. Magneto and Emma stories are normal solid but if they go to far fans get mad because people like them as heroes. The X-men villains has been bad for awhile and part of reason the line has struggle.

The X-men are capable of creating good new villains see Cassandra Nova and Unit. Removing the crutch of falling back on the Phoenix, Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, etc gives the X-men chances to add some meaningful new villains. While having the X-men closer to their enemies than they have ever been create familiarity and even a little bit of friendship is only going to help conflicts in the future. Think about after a long run with Excalibur how mess Apocalypse story is going to be with people who might not see him as completely an enemy.

Not all new villains have to hit but without crutch to follow back on these guys are going to get used in meaningful stories and have a chance to become bigger and maybe some join the big guns. Bohem Cartel isn't even all that bad when consider they are really setting up Costia Perdita and now the X-men don't always have to go to Madripoor anymore for those type of stories.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-30-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Part of the problem of them having all mutants form a country together regardless of good or evil, we’ve lost so many actual good villains to the point that it comes to this.
    Is it necessary to have "villains" to have conflicts? Xavier and Magneto were friends — even if it hasn't been always very obvious — and still, they have been fighting one another for decades.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I love seeing Beak back in action, but Boom Boom stole the show in this issue. She was great in every scene and I hope she has more like them.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

can't believe that they went through so much trouble just to bring Beak and Angel back. they were almost sight gags in Morrison's run.

Ultimate Member

Huh.

Issue: We want mutants to move to Krakoa, but not icky humans.
    Problem: Beak wants to stay with his human mom and pops.
    Solution: Kill 'em. Then make him forget them.

Future: So, Northstar. About that human husband? Fake news. You've always been single. Welcome to Krakoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Huh.

Issue: We want mutants to move to Krakoa, but not icky humans.
    Problem: Beak wants to stay with his human mom and pops.
    Solution: Kill 'em. Then make him forget them.

Future: So, Northstar. About that human husband? Fake news. You've always been single. Welcome to Krakoa.
    Uhm that didn't happen

Issue: Armor wants to convince Beak and Angel to move Krakoa
    Problem: Beak dad is sick, He won't leave him
    Solution: Krakoa drugs heal him, And Beak would be fine with moving

Monkey Wrench: Cartel shows up kidnap everyone for mutant drugs
    Solution again: Cartel shows Angel that outside world isn't safe and she is willing to move krakoa
    Monkey Wrench again: Cartel member kills the dad, make thing horrible

Twins being stupid: Twins trying to help erase their memories,Armor chews them out they never do it again.
    Armor being stupid: She just lets it happen instead of undoing it, Making the grenade even bigger

Future: Nothing happens to Northstar Husband.Krakoa didn't kill anyone the Cartel did it. Your scenario is fake news
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-30-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Manon and Maxime were the best part about this little filler arc. Their misguided attempts at trying to help people just to fit in shows their still damaged from being hounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    Yeah the twins are former hounds. In POX/HOX the first Sinister line of mutants were created mirroring the Hound program. I wonder does Sinister already have the information needed to create his own version of the Hound program, it is possible? Or he might acquire it later via the twins in the future?
    Manon and Maxime were not hounds. They created a new and deeper conditioning of hounds based on their powers. Initial programming was done through physical torture, psychological conditioning, and drugs. The next form of programming was a technological version (used on Cyclops and Sue Storm) which completed the process in mere minutes instead of the years Rachel was subjected to. The third and most advanced and sneaky version was the twins. When Ahab attacked the school in the future he realized their potential as small children and corrupted their minds but not by the hound program. If they were hounds they would have had the classic "houndmarks" on their face which they never did.

As for Sinister, he would already have an idea on how the hound programming could work based on Rachel alone, nevermind that the Shadow King has been making hounds since he interacted with Rachel back in the "X-Men: True Friends" mini. So it's a known process, humans just haven't developed it yet.

I am interested in seeing a scene where Rachel, Maxime, and Manon all interact given they forced her back into slavery and ruined her for a year.