Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New Mutants #6 - Spoilers Abound

So no (t)h(r)ead?

Might as well make it loll

Boom Boom pulls up, her and Armor get hit by the notorious power-dampening bomb, Armor fills her in

Inside Glob admonishes the twins for making their guards kill each other, another guard comes in and Glob takes him down, Beak ends up shot

Theres a big skirmish, Angel pukes on a guy, The twins get one of their assailants to switch sides, Boom Boom beats the snot out of some guys without her powers and gets this awesome line about "being on black ops teams since she was like 12"

Everyone piles into a truck to get Beak to a hospital but the Big Bad Drug Dealer (Trumullo? Forget his name but the one with tattoos) shoots Beaks mom and comes out holding his dad hostage. Says either they get out of the truck and let him leave with beaks dad or beaks dad dies. Angel has a great monologue about human/mutant relations and how she's sick of this shit and plans to move to Krakoa, says either way someones gonna die so just let the old man go and take his jail time (surprise, he doesn't do that). Instead he shoots the ol bugger and then shoots himself, says the rest of his cartel is gonna come for the mutants and we get a data page naming a bunch of dudes in the cartel. Everyone is just standing in the field shook as Angel drives to the hospital w/ her kids and Beak

Theres a data page about a Nebraskan newspaper or something reporting on the incident. Then we're back on Krakoa, Beak's okay and Armor and Glob are surprised to find no one remembers his parents dying...turns out the twins didn't want him to be sad so they messed with his memories to make him think they died peacefully years ago. Armor gives them shit but then realizes they just wanted to help so loosens up a bit. And I think that's the end?

Overall this was surprisingly good. Like, much better from the previous "filler" issues. Kinda took me aback. Curious to hear some other thoughts. Also lemme know if I missed anything lol
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 01-31-2020 at 02:37 PM.

A cartel is not exactly a very exciting enemy for the mutants. I don't have much interest in expanding that storyline tbh.

One thing is sure: Marvel Universe organizations love their color coded hierarchies.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This got so unnecessarily dark in an effort to make the Bohem Cartel a credible threat. They were set up to be a recurring antagonist, but I'm really very uninterested in seeing them again. Other writers have made similar groups and they are much better executed. Boom Boom was the only highlight. The art is technically fine, but I don't like it. It is going to be such a rough tonal shift when Brisson takes over full time and I don't know that I'm going to stick around for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    A cartel is not exactly a very exciting enemy for the mutants. I don't have much interest in expanding that storyline tbh.
    Part of the problem of them having all mutants form a country together regardless of good or evil, we’ve lost so many actual good villains to the point that it comes to this.

Either way, Brisson is quickly making my ‘do not read’ list.

Woah, sounds pretty traumatizing. Thanks for the recap!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Part of the problem of them having all mutants form a country together regardless of good or evil, we’ve lost so many actual good villains to the point that it comes to this.

I don't entirely agree with the bold, personally I think Mystique, Sinister, Shaw and Apocalypse are all still villains. All of the other X-Books are either getting cool new villains, restoring old villains to prominence or creating a new twist on an old villain. In fact I think we've had something of a renaissance with villains and antagonists in DoX. Sadly I think its just this story and this writer.

Yeah, newsflash, lots of countries have villains in them. Some of the most powerful nations on Earth have people in government who couldn’t be any more obviously villainous if they had twirly moustaches and tied a damsel to a railway track.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I don't entirely agree with the bold, personally I think Mystique, Sinister, Shaw and Apocalypse are all still villains. All of the other X-Books are either getting cool new villains, restoring old villains to prominence or creating a new twist on an old villain. In fact I think we've had something of a renaissance with villains and antagonists in DoX. Sadly I think its just this story and this writer.
    Yes, agreed. They're the enemy within instead of without now, is all. That new context alone is much more interesting than anything we've gotten since the Secret Wars timeskip.

That synopsis was dark AF. Glad I didn't read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

It was honestly the best of the "Glob" books, but yeah dark. They also treated Tabbi with some dignity for once as well. Just glad this arch is done.

So innovative that the best villain Brisson could come up with for his opening Dawn of X arc is a Latinx drug cartel. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    So innovative that the best villain Brisson could come up with for his opening Dawn of X arc is a Latinx drug cartel. Bravo.
    I think DoX could get away with some "mundane" villains, tbh, especially in a storyline about checking up on friends and family left off the island. But yeah, this doesn't sound like it's in the banality-of-evil category, just a lot of stock tropes not welded together with enough ott craziness to be really out there. But these are the filler issues while Hickman handles the A-plot. Brisson probably has something that holds together better in mind for when he gets to tell an uninterrupted story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post

Yeah new villains aren't always good. This dude and hordeculture are flat.

This book got really dark. Beak parents were killed and then later the twins messed with his head. When he discover he gonna be so broken and mad.

I also don't get why the twins didn't controlled the Carter dealer to stop and release beak's father. Or then let him get away since they can ressurrect Beak

can we just give tabbhy exodus' council seat, it's exodus so no one will even notice