Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Male Hero kicks ass, guns people down in all sort of creative ways, solves unsolvable puzzles, kills the villain in two hits.

Some audience members: Damn, he's such a bad ass! I love this guy!

Female Hero kicks ass, guns people down in all sort of creative ways, solves unsolvable puzzles, kills the villain in two hits.

Same audience members: Where did she get those skills from? Why is she so strong?? Why are the men so weak??? Why is she so smart???! She's a Mary Suuuuuuueeeeeeeee!!!!
    If i could I would fav this so much
    Last edited by lowfyr; 02-21-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Male Hero kicks ass, guns people down in all sort of creative ways, solves unsolvable puzzles, kills the villain in two hits.

Female Hero kicks ass, guns people down in all sort of creative ways, solves unsolvable puzzles, kills the villain in two hits.

Same audience members: Where did she get those skills from? Why is she so strong?? Why are the men so weak??? Why is she so smart???! She's a Mary Suuuuuuueeeeeeeee!!!!
    Lol true, I'm part of the Captain Marvel is too strong group but for story related reasons. I dont think she was a mary sue I just think having her that much more powerful then everyone else is gonna great story issues. Same with Superman in Justice League,he made everyone else pointless. If they just woulda nerfed supermans speed he would be fine, it makes everyone else non redundant. Ssme with Carol,make her slightly above Thor instead of so strong Thanos stood no chance without a sneak attack from a Infinty stone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol true, I'm part of the Captain Marvel is too strong group but for story related reasons. I dont think she was a mary sue I just think having her that much more powerful then everyone else is gonna great story issues. Same with Superman in Justice League,he made everyone else pointless. If they just woulda nerfed supermans speed he would be fine, it makes everyone else non redundant. Ssme with Carol,make her slightly above Thor instead of so strong Thanos stood no chance without a sneak attack from a Infinty stone.
    I think they should have put more emphasis on her getting a power-up from energy Sources. In the fight with Thanos she was touching the Stones and the reaction of it for example. In her movie the power lines reacting to her flyby or in the fight with the SI for more examples. Normally more or less on Thors Level but with Energy Sources she can really cut loose and get on Binary Level.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
    That is the Definition. What you mean is what People make up About it to try to illustrate their point , that is usually "Woman takes an Action role and is in the lead".

And again you wrote Ares has his reasons to do what he does. So does the SI and the rest of the villians of Captain Marvel. Having a reason is not the same as being Right to a Degree either.

But nice to see that you can still make stuff up About CM or Brie Larson.
    A Mary Sue is a fictional character who is so competent or perfect that this appears absurd even in the context of the fiction. Mary Sues are often an author's self-insertion or wish fulfillment.

Did you even look at it? Carol is not a Sue overall, not that bad yet, but part of her plot is quite Sueish.

Yeah Ares has his reason, and where did it show the Kree Empire's reason like Ares'? Their reason was briefly told but not expanded at all, after it was revealed, they were portrayed as pure villain. Especially Jude Law's character, there was no ex-team struggle between them at all as it should have been.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-21-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Let's compare with Superman of MoS.

Superman has faced far many more problems in MoS than Carol did, the enemy was much stronger. It was a lot more intensive than Captain Marvel did. The villains were also portrayed in a more sympathetic way. Yet still ppl like me think it could be further expanded.

It's not like male hero movies never got criticized as well.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-21-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Superman in JL did get criticized by many ppl, in the previous two movies he was nowhere close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I think they should have put more emphasis on her getting a power-up from energy Sources. In the fight with Thanos she was touching the Stones and the reaction of it for example. In her movie the power lines reacting to her flyby or in the fight with the SI for more examples. Normally more or less on Thors Level but with Energy Sources she can really cut loose and get on Binary Level.
    I agree with both you and Mids on CM's power levels. Some speculated she was absorbing the stones in Endgame (she wasn't), which would have worked much better.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Mary Sue is shorthand for female lead, I think. If a Male lead has unearned abilities inherited from mysterious parentage it’s just hero’s journey, which is fine of course.

100char
    "Cable was right!"

I don't understand where did the ppl hate female kick ass come from.

I am a big fan of strong powerful female. Faora is even my favorite DCEU character. I also like Helen Slater's Supergirl character a lot while the script was not good.

Also Superman 3,4 and SR had all been criticized for different reasons, especially 4 was considered as one of the worst Superhero blockbusters. As much as I love Reeve it was a very very bad movie. We are not being unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Also Superman 3,4 and SR had all been criticized for different reasons, especially 4 was considered as one of the worst Superhero blockbusters. As much as I love Reeve it was a very very bad movie. We are not being unfair.
    The point isn't that males don't get criticized, ever. The point is that males don't get criticized like female action stars for doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The point isn't that males don't get criticized, ever. The point is that males don't get criticized like female action stars for doing the same thing.
    Not really, badly characterized male heroes get pinned as well.

If you compare Reeve's later Superman movies and Helen Slater's Supergirl, ppl treat them fairly, almost nobody attack the actors and their portrayal were both well received, it's the script which got pinned and it's quite spot on.

So Black Canary's dress in this movie was partly a ripoff from Vixen's early appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Not really, badly characterized male heroes get pinned as well.

If you compare Reeve's later Superman movies and Helen Slater's Supergirl, ppl treat them fairly, almost nobody attack the actors and their portrayal were both well received, it's the script which got pinned and it's quite spot on.
    That doesn't mean it doesn't happen just because it didn't in those 2 films. And the fact you have to go back 30-40 years to find an example is kind of telling on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That doesn't mean it doesn't happen just because it didn't in those 2 films. And the fact you have to go back 30-40 years to find an example is kind of telling on its own.
    Not really, a lot of female action movies got praise and success in box office. Wonder Woman is the biggest hit of DCEU for a while and received good review as well. A lot of the men's action flick also get pinned or even flop at box office. Even in the big names of Superman and Batman, or even plus together.

As long as you pick the right cast and focus on making a good movie, it's gonna succeed most of the time.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-21-2020 at 12:37 PM.