Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    1. It's hardly "failed." It's been in theaters for just over a week and has already made back its budget.
    2. Given that Mr. H is a known hate-grifter and both of the people you mentioned unironically use "SJW" as a pejorative... yeah, those are hardly good sources for unbiased info.
    Making back it's budget means nothing. The general rule of thumb is a movie needs to make twice the money it took to make it for it to be profitable. I'm not wave off the movie as a flop just yet but it's definitely below the expectations set for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Making back it's budget means nothing. The general rule of thumb is a movie needs to make twice the money it took to make it for it to be profitable. I'm not wave off the movie as a flop just yet but it's definitely below the expectations set for it.
    I know that. But the fact it did that in less than a week means it didn't fail.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I know that. But the fact it did that in less than a week means it didn't fail.
    When Variety, Deadline, Indiewire and all other outlets used terms like Flop and Bomb it's safe to say BOP failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    When Variety, Deadline, Indiewire and all other outlets used terms like Flop and Bomb it's safe to say BOP failed.
    Sure, because who cares what it actually ends up earning, right?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sure, because who cares what it actually ends up earning, right?
    If Warner Bros ain't happy with what's the movie is earning them those outlets wouldn't be wrong. Superman Returns made big money in it's day and they still deemed it a failure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If Warner Bros ain't happy with what's the movie is earning them those outlets wouldn't be wrong. Superman Returns made big money in it's day and they still deemed it a failure.
    "I wanted money not to be the end all, be all of movies, but not like this, not like this!"

Also, screw Superman Returns and Harley and Friends :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think there is no doubt that Birds of Prey underperforms. But it's far from a "bomb" or a "flop" yet, especially given the relatively strong reception it has had among critics and the people who have gone to see the movie.

I also checked Variety and Deadline. Variety's latest article on the movie says "Why ‘Birds of Prey’ Whiffed at the Box Office", and I couldn't find any "bomb" or "flop" except for the comments over there, and another from today calling its performance "lackluster". The same is true for Deadline, where the latest article (from today) calls it a "letdown". So I'd appreciate direct sourced quotes.

At a guess, I think there are some forces at WB who would love to blame the movie and Margot Robbie for the film's failure. At the same time, if the movie can keep chugging along at good word of mouth, the more it points to a marketing failure (which I think was the problem here, not the movie itself).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

1. It's hardly "failed." It's been in theaters for just over a week and has already made back its budget.
    2. Given that Mr. H is a known hate-grifter and both of the people you mentioned unironically use "SJW" as a pejorative... yeah, those are hardly good sources for unbiased info.

It hasn’t made back its budget, you are forgetting the theater share of the box office. That is why a movie needs to make double its budget before it starts making a profit.

The film had a budget of 75-87 million, it was likely never going to be a blockbuster (Joker is the exception). There is a reason why every MCU has a baseline budget of 150 mill. A major element to blockbusters is the spectacle, which costs money. So BoP was already handicapped and people were always going to claim that because it didn't make blockbuster money it failed.

However, because the budget is so low it shouldn't have to make more than 150 mill, the budget of most MCU films, to be considered a success. Yet, there are people claiming that it needs to make 3x its budget, and even 3.4x its budget, and this just isn't the standard applied evenly to other films.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-15-2020 at 01:56 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    It hasn’t made back its budget, you are forgetting the theater share of the box office.
    Didn't forget. I just meant it had made back at least $82 million. Nothing else.

I know its a little too late. Birds of Prey should have had a pg 13 cut of the film.

Fantastic Member

People, I don't know how many ways I can say it:

Studios don't get 100% of the box office take

If you want to argue that the break even point is higher or lower, great!! If you want to argue that the percentage of the take is higher or lower or that there's a different domestic/international split, fantastic!! If you think they skimped on marketing due to concerns about the ultimate performance, I'll probably agree with you.

But dear Lord, please stop saying that a box office gross equivalent to the production budget means they're in the black. It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I know its a little too late. Birds of Prey should have had a pg 13 cut of the film.
    I doubt it would have mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Possibly. But I think it'd have made for a worse movie.

The largest mistake was, I think, the title. I can't say much about the actual marketing campaign, but that certainly also seems to have been lackluster, from what I've heard.

Fundamentally, there are different levels of discourse here.

One: Was the marketing of the movie done wrong? Here I include title, trailers, advertising, and so on.

Two: Would a different cut (like PG-13) have helped the movie make more money, while maintaining quality (WB does not want another Suicide Squad)?

Three: Should an entirely different movie have been made (like those saying it should have had the Joker, or been a Gotham City Sirens movie)?

Given the good critical and audience reception to the film itself, I think any analysis should be focused on the marketing first, because anything else would pretty much require a different film.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Possibly. But I think it'd have made for a worse movie.

The largest mistake was, I think, the title. I can't say much about the actual marketing campaign, but that certainly also seems to have been lackluster, from what I've heard.

Fundamentally, there are different levels of discourse here.

One: Was the marketing of the movie done wrong? Here I include title, trailers, advertising, and so on.

Two: Would a different cut (like PG-13) have helped the movie make more money, while maintaining quality (WB does not want another Suicide Squad)?

Three: Should an entirely different movie have been made (like those saying it should have had the Joker, or been a Gotham City Sirens movie)?

Given the good critical and audience reception to the film itself, I think any analysis should be focused on the marketing first, because anything else would pretty much require a different film.
    I think I would've made this a Harley film with some other female supporting characters, and let that be R, rather then attach this to the Birds of Prey.

Granted, I wouldn't have used Cassandra Cain's name on a character that's the farthest thing from her, but that's just me.