Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have every intention of seeing both BW and WW2. I hate the character of Harley Quinn and have no intention of seeing this because of that. In terms of people complaining about "SJW" or whatever, my step-dad watches those stupid videos and they really do seem to just complain about too many minorities in movies. Which isn't a legitimate complaint. I think this bombed for a number of reasons. 1) The ghost of SS. That movie was hated. I personally kind of liked it despite Harley, not because of her. But there's no question it played a role in why this movie didn't do as well as expected. 2) The R rating. Harley's biggest fans are teenage girls. It makes no sense to make a movie about her they can't go see. 3) The instability of the DCEU. With a new Batman movie that has nothing to do with the DCEU and Joker and all these outside continuity movies, it's questionable how long the DCEU will even be around. Especially with the stand off between WB and Cavill. Why go see a movie whose future is up in the air?
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Saw this last night. I was greatly entertained by it. This is the most I've enjoyed Harley in a long time outside of Sejic's Harleen, and Black Canary and Huntress were both awesome.

Be a shame if this does continue to underperform, because it's one of the better CBMs we've had recently. And I'd love a proper BOP film sans Harley and with these versions of Canary, Huntress and Montoya joined by Barbara Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    A lot of female centric movies have been flopping recently. its not only Birds of Prey.

Terminator Dark Fate
    Charlie's Angels
    The Rhythm Section
    Birds of Prey

If Mulan, Black Widow and Wonder Woman 2 joins this list. The feminist movement will be in big trouble.
    The feminist movement is not going to be undone by a Charlie's Angel movie that no one asked for flopping.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I have every intention of seeing both BW and WW2. I hate the character of Harley Quinn and have no intention of seeing this because of that. In terms of people complaining about "SJW" or whatever, my step-dad watches those stupid videos and they really do seem to just complain about too many minorities in movies. Which isn't a legitimate complaint. I think this bombed for a number of reasons. 1) The ghost of SS. That movie was hated. I personally kind of liked it despite Harley, not because of her. But there's no question it played a role in why this movie didn't do as well as expected. 2) The R rating. Harley's biggest fans are teenage girls. It makes no sense to make a movie about her they can't go see. 3) The instability of the DCEU. With a new Batman movie that has nothing to do with the DCEU and Joker and all these outside continuity movies, it's questionable how long the DCEU will even be around. Especially with the stand off between WB and Cavill. Why go see a movie whose future is up in the air?
    The DCEU doesn't actually exist anymore, its Worlds of DC now. WB has stated that they aren't doing the whole universe thing anymore or at the very least they aren't forcing directors to acknowledge the continuity from prior films, which we have seen.

I agree with your points about the issues BoP has had to overcome, which has nothing to do with film quality. I see this film making a small profit by the end of its run but I think it will succeed in home video, streaming sales, as well as plays on broadcast tv (TNT)which would boost the popularity of a potential sequel.

Nothing wrong with not liking Harley, heck I can't stand Hal Jordan so I get not wanting to see a character you don't even like.

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I dont think you can blame the underperformance of BoP on its female centric nature.

The R rating has denied a large part of the target audience access to it.

In my country its rated MA+ which is the restriction under R. It means under 15s can only see it with a supervising adult. The theartre I went to would have easily been 35% 15 to 18 year old girls. 25% same age boys and15- 20% families with younger kids with one or more adult.

I dont think that is the exact breakdown of the demographic for the movie, as the theatre I went to is the cheapest one around (adult tickets are $9.50 vs $19, kids are $5.50 vs $10.50 and student are $7. 50 vs $12 at other cinemas) so the numbers of students and young families are always a little higher there as they can more afford it at that cinema. Still its telling that so many who wouldn't get into it where its R rated wanted to see it opening weekend.

I think Warner just assumed since R did so well for Joker why not. The problem with that thinking is while the R rating limits its nornal target audience the BoP simply didnt have the material that attracts those hard core R rated fans to make up for the shortfall, while Joker, old man logan and Deadpool did.

Its almost like they went out of their way to get an R rating to be edgey that it didnt deserve. I mean there wasnt a lot of blood (nothing they couldnt have done without and not suffered) and the violence wasnt that much more than any PG rated superhero movie. It was all really for the case of a little language and not much more.

Shame because the film wasnt bad. It shoudl have been hitting close to breaking even by now, but as its only at 160m internationally the studio likely has just gotten close to production costs and still not covered marketing. Since as of next week their cut out of the box office starts to drop they'll end up relying on DVD/streaming/blue ray and syndication to make a profit. I know there are still some markets it hasnt had a shot (Hong kong and India are only just starting back up after corona virus, but they each only added 10m to the 1.1b of Aquaman's box office so would have only added 1 or 2m to this figure
    Female centric nature could be told well, it has been proved many times. But only if the film crew was good enough and not trying to deliver a message too hard. Also men can write and direct female story well just like female can do the opposite.

Just like male director have good and incompetent ones, female is the same. I don't think it should work like "we need a female director" than "we need a good director for blockbuster, regardless of gender or whatever". I'm not saying Cathy Yan is not good, just she might needs more experience for blockbuster movies.

The R rating certainly hurts, but I doubt it would make that big of difference. Ewan's comment also caused negative reaction.

Robbie is a very good actor and the perfect choice for Harley, but she shouldn't been given the helm of producer, some of her decisions certainly hurts this movie. Just like you cannot let Brie Larson has too much to say about MCU movies or it's going to be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I would've made this a Harley film with some other female supporting characters, and let that be R, rather then attach this to the Birds of Prey.

Granted, I wouldn't have used Cassandra Cain's name on a character that's the farthest thing from her, but that's just me.

WB and Robbie never intended to do BoP well in the first place. They were just trying to use them to support Harley Quinn since the character is not big enough to hold up. None of the characters got the treatment they deserved. No Barbara, other than Huntress the other casts has been criticized a lot and none of them really resemble their comic self if they didn't tell you they are BoP. This movie could stand simply because Robbie is a very good Harley Quinn. It's like fans criticize X-Men for focusing on Wolverine or Lawrence's Mystique too much, at least it wasn't that serious and the casts were good.

It's not like BoP is that niche, many ppl knew Barbara and Black Canary, they got their live action show long ago and there are quite a few live action versions of them. And Cain, yeah. Zack Snyder at least intended to do the heroes well(maybe except Batman), just his approach was not well received.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-16-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Female centric nature could be told well, it has been proved many times. But only if the film crew was good enough and not trying to deliver a message too hard. Also men can write and direct female story well just like female can do the opposite.

Just like male director have good and incompetent ones, female is the same. I don't think it should work like "we need a female director" than "we need a good director for blockbuster, regardless of gender or whatever". I'm not saying Cathy Yan is not good, just she might needs more experience for blockbuster movies.

The R rating certainly hurts, but I doubt it would make that big of difference. Ewan's comment also caused negative reaction.

WB and Robbie never intended to do BoP well in the first place. They were just trying to use them to support Harley Quinn since the character is not big enough to hold up. None of the characters got the treatment they deserved. No Barbara, other than Huntress the other casts has been criticized a lot and none of them really resemble their comic self if they didn't tell you they are BoP. This movie could stand simply because Robbie is a very good Harley Quinn. It's like fans criticize X-Men for focusing on Wolverine or Lawrence's Mystique too much, at least it wasn't that serious and the casts were good.

It's not like BoP is that niche, many ppl knew Barbara and Black Canary, they got their live action show long ago and there are quite a few live action versions of them. And Cain, yeah. Zack Snyder at least intended to do the heroes well(maybe except Batman), just his approach was not well received.
    What did Ewan McGregor say?

I'm pretty sure most people here never heard anything talk much less the general audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What did Ewan McGregor say?

I'm pretty sure most people here never heard anything talk much less the general audience.
    Woke comments. It's not like ppl think misogyny doesn't exist or is not wrong. But ppl don't want to be taught for what to do or not "from the above", and seeing a movie focus on pushing it too hard instead of making a good story. Yes most ppl don't care but it did cause some to be pissed off after movie like Ghostbuster and Charlie's Angels remake. Especially quite a few ppl planned to see it because of him since he is the 2nd biggest star after Robbie, so they paid attention to his interview.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    The DCEU doesn't actually exist anymore, its Worlds of DC now. WB has stated that they aren't doing the whole universe thing anymore or at the very least they aren't forcing directors to acknowledge the continuity from prior films, which we have seen.
    This is fake news.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is fake news.

Get your facts straight first before stating such:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...worlds-dc/amp/

DCEU was never an official title its really something fans made up in comparison to the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Get your facts straight first before stating such:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenr...worlds-dc/amp/

DCEU was never an official title its really something fans made up in comparison to the MCU.
    They used the label once years ago. WB doesn't use it anymore, if they ever really did. Also I accidentally left the Worlds of DC bolded when I changed the context of my statement, sorry about that. I meant to say your whole statement is fake news, not just your 'Worlds of DC' thing.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    They used the label once years ago. WB doesn't use it anymore, if they ever really did. Also I accidentally left the Worlds of DC bolded when I changed the context of my statement, sorry about that. I meant to say your whole statement is fake news, not just your 'Worlds of DC' thing.
    How about you do some research on your own before making these claims otherwise it comes across as trolling. Its been well reported that DCEU is an unofficial name and that WB has used Worlds of DC since 2017. Additionally, WB has stated numerous times that they are focusing less on connectivity and more on standalone films so that directors are not bound. Before responding again go and google it yourself, it's not hard.

That boycott against Sonic really worked out, huh? Beating and nearly doubling BOP's opening weekend. Oof.

Astonishing Member

There was a boycott against Sonic?

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    There was a boycott against Sonic?
    https://cosmicbook.news/birds-prey-f...c-hedgehog?amp Boycott is being generous...

Astonishing Member

Oh, boycott is ‘generous’, more like some jerks on Twitter. Doubt many people even saw that

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Please do not treat that trash fire site as actual news.