Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    And this is the biggest problem of the movie.
    Not really, with how the story was structured and produced it was enjoyable to watch in its own context.

Yeah, even the reviews from professionals like Forbes don't bother to talk about them much. Even the supporters and WB uses Harley to attract ppl. How much screen time did Huntress even get and how bad was Cain butchered? Even Black Canary didn't have enough screen time as the founder of the team, which should have been the focus. And tell me HOW was Barbara given depth?
    You haven't watched the movie? Harley does get majority of the screen time but all the supporting cast, including Black mask, get suitable character development and depth. Aside from the name Cain's character is excellent. Dinah gets the necessary screen time. They can add Barbara in the sequels or other movies, like the Bat films. They don't need to follow the comics entirely and they did good with the characters, especially Huntress and Black Canary.

Everything is pretty much settled. The only question is that does it have a tiny chance for the movie to break even. There will be no sequel and this version will be thrown into development hell much like the F4 movie.
    Comics take months to get produced, it's difficult to tell when they'll do changes like that with 100% accuracy since the industry involves hundreds of people. The movie is set to be a cult classic at the least. It's not as hated as the F4 movies were.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Aside from the name Cain's character is excellent.
    Excellent is way too strong a word if you ask me.

Adequate is more fitting. Even if you give her a different name she's a fairly generic thief kid character that acts as a morality pet to the main character so that we don't think too much about Harley being an awful person. Beyond that movie Cass doesn't really have any agency of her own and just gets dragged along everywhere like the macguffin she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Excellent is way too strong a word if you ask me.

Adequate is more fitting. Even if you give her a different name she's a fairly generic thief kid character that acts as a morality pet to the main character so that we don't think too much about Harley being an awful person. Beyond that movie Cass doesn't really have any agency of her own and just gets dragged along everywhere like the macguffin she is.
    Fairly generic, yes. But movie Cass gets to develop some connection with both Black Canary and Renee Montoya, and not only Harley, and it's obvious that helping her is personally important to Huntress.

It's also a single film. Most people in a film will be rather simple cutouts, and this one juggles no less than seven characters with important roles. Compared to most action or superhero movies, this was a wonder of nuanced characterisation in its cast.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I thought this film was a lot of fun. And I was surprised by how efficient the characterization was. Everyone felt fully developed with clear motivations and backstories in spite of not getting as much screen time as Harley. I get that fans are always divided about ensemble casts, wanting their personal favorites to get more attention. At some point decisions have to be made and a story needs a focal point. In this case it's Harley, but there's no reason why future films couldn't shift the attention toward the BoP. (And for the record, I think making Harley the focal point of this film was a great call.)

Not really, with how the story was structured and produced it was enjoyable to watch in its own context.
    Tell me why shouldn't BoP be in the center of the stage.

You haven't watched the movie? Harley does get majority of the screen time but all the supporting cast, including Black mask, get suitable character development and depth. Aside from the name Cain's character is excellent. Dinah gets the necessary screen time. They can add Barbara in the sequels or other movies, like the Bat films. They don't need to follow the comics entirely and they did good with the characters, especially Huntress and Black Canary.
    Yeah, BoP are supporting characters, in a BoP movie. And NO, ppl don't even bother to mention them, that's bad. That's not depth if they don't even get enough screen time or focus. WHY should Barbara go to other movies when she is the founder of BoP? WHY should Black Canary, the other found stepaside as supporting characters and WHY should the Huntress get so little screen time compare to Harley? They lack the basic respect for the characters.

Comics take months to get produced, it's difficult to tell when they'll do changes like that with 100% accuracy since the industry involves hundreds of people. The movie is set to be a cult classic at the least. It's not as hated as the F4 movies were.
    You need to see the truth, this movie is a failure. It's no different than the F4 all the way.

I haven't watched it yet but I liked this channel and thought it was fun.

Astonishing Member

Tell me why shouldn't BoP be in the center of the stage.
    It isn't their story.

Yeah, BoP are supporting characters, in a BoP movie. And NO, ppl don't even bother to mention them, that's bad. That's not depth if they don't even get enough screen time or focus. WHY should Barbara go to other movies when she is the founder of BoP? WHY should Black Canary, the other found stepaside as supporting characters and WHY should the Huntress get so little screen time compare to Harley? They lack the basic respect for the characters.
    This was a Harley movie, the Birds were supporting cast. They do get enough focus, and Huntress is crucial to the plot. Because the star was Margo Robbie and she was Harley Quinn. Why not? It's not like they can't continue on as I explained. Would I have liked Barbara to be front and centre of a Birds movie? Yes, I would but I thought this movie provided enough entertainment that I'm not upset about it. Huntress is a supporting character, not a lead and this isn't really an ensemble.

You need to see the truth, this movie is a failure. It's no different than the F4 all the way.
    Not every failure is the same and Birds of Prey hasn't got the critical meltdown that F4 got by any stretch.

Yeah, a BoP titled movie where it isn't BoP's story. I am so sad to say this as a big Black Canary fan.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, a BoP titled movie where it isn't BoP's story. I am so sad to say this as a big Black Canary fan.
    It was marketed as the Harley Quinn show from the first trailer, everyone knew what they were getting into. It's not the Birds of Prey haven't been supporting other characters in other books before.

It was marketed as the Harley Quinn show from the first trailer, everyone knew what they were getting into. It's not the Birds of Prey haven't been supporting other characters in other books before.
    And that's the problem from the beginning.

Astonishing Member

It's also a single film. Most people in a film will be rather simple cutouts, and this one juggles no less than seven characters with important roles. Compared to most action or superhero movies, this was a wonder of nuanced characterisation in its cast.
    I actually liked how they made fun of Renee Montoya being the cliche cop. Whoever wrote it also read her pre-52/Gotham Central appearances where she that was basically her comic book/TV show persona.

That exposure is not like movie exposure. Suicide Squad did more for Harley Quinn than the cartoons did.
    This statement is factually incorrect. The cartoon created the character. There would be nothing to get exposure to without the cartoon.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Man some people are going hard on this movie. I thought the movie was good, had a blast watching it. It also got good reviews, the issue was probaly Harley didnt have enough star power to overcome an R rating and they didn't market the movie very well. The only advertisement I ever saw was at the movie theater before other movies.
    Also think the bad reviews and word of mouth of SS probaly hurt it a little too. Gunn will overcome it becuase hes gonna release a crazy wacky trailer that gonna grab everyone's attention and the movie will be marketed properly I'd bet. But yea BOPs trailers gave me no desire to see the movie. The reviews did and they reviews were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Man some people are going hard on this movie. I thought the movie was good, had a blast watching it. It also got good reviews, the issue was probaly Harley didnt have enough star power to overcome an R rating and they didn't market the movie very well. The only advertisement I ever saw was at the movie theater before other movies.
    Also think the bad reviews and word of mouth of SS probaly hurt it a little too. Gunn will overcome it becuase hes gonna release a crazy wacky trailer that gonna grab everyone's attention and the movie will be marketed properly I'd bet. But yea BOPs trailers gave me no desire to see the movie. The reviews did and they reviews were right.
    Agreed on the poor marketing. If WB had played their hands right, they could have turned the misogynist outrage brigade into a marketing asset rather than vultures crowing over the movie's "failure".

But I really doubt the original Suicide Squad movie played any major role in the box office disappointment for this movie. For one, it was released four years ago, and WB had dropped a series of positively received movies in the interim. For another, the marketing campaign looked very very different.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Because it wasted a good heroine team and never tried to put them as center of the stage.

Imagine a Justice League movie where all the members have to lower their presence for the Joker.