Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My biggest problem with Suicide Squad's mission was the group was punching above their pay grade. I don't want to see them save the world from an ancient magical menace. I want some covert shadow government type thing.
    The whole production was a nightmare. Ayer only had 2 weeks to write the script before they began shooting. With his talents and the right story he should been the perfect fit for Suicide Squad.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I was waiting for this thread to show back up on the front page.

Managed to see it 2 weeks ago before the virus hit where I live.

+ Plot is pretty basic and easy to follow
    + the main actors are passable although I'm not sure why they got someone around my mum's age to play Montoya.
    - some of the jokes and fight scenes were duds. Like there was a point where a goon ran up to Harley with a gun in his hands and engaged her in melee combat. Plus Renee got knocked out with a smart phone
    - Lord have mercy they hardly used Huntress. She was just a party member for the final boss. Plus she took out Zsasz piss easy.

So in the end it wasn't as good as the fans said it was but it wasn't bad as the naysayers said it was.

5/10. Go watch the cartoon.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

According to variety BOP is supposed to have its home release on 3/24. WB is probably trying to capitalize on home sales during the coronavirus pandemic like Universal is with Invisible Man and Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    According to variety BOP is supposed to have its home release on 3/24. WB is probably trying to capitalize on home sales during the coronavirus pandemic like Universal is with Invisible Man and Trolls.
    Is it going to be 'released', or just available to rent on demand? I know they are also doing that with The Gentleman on the same day.

either way, hopefully the film will be popular on video. so be it. cult status that leads to a sequel.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Just saw it and it was meh. The writing was way better than Aquaman and it was overall better than SS but this movie was just one big missed opportunity and makes you wonder, what was this movie trying to go for? I really don't understand what this movie was trying to accomplish.

-There were no iconic good looking costumes that could have helped market the film or bring interest

-The marketing was weird overall

-Excluding Babs already put people against this movie the minute it was announced

-Cass was basically wasted and disrespected. I don't mind characters not being true like the comics but for characters who don't get to have many media appearances or pushes, their first appearance HAVE to be perfect. This movie blew it.

-Montoya was also wasted. She really brought nothing to the movie. I also have no idea why they casted someone so much older than the cast.

-This movie was very small scale and I think it should've been a tad bigger. There were literally like only 5 settings and the world of Gotham felt like one long block.

-R-rating was stupid and pointless. Don't throw Black Canary or Huntress in an r-rated movie when you could've used them to attract more girls as fans. If they really wanted the r-rating it should've just been a Harley movie...

-You would think Huntress would have a larger role given the whole focus of the story but she is literally shoved in towards the end.

-DC or WB simply overestimated Harley

Extraordinary Member

So I finally got around to seeing this on demand. I gotta disagree that it was better than S.S or Aquaman.

It didn't feel like a big budget movie more like something that could have been on Netflix. I'm totally clueless on why this was rated R there was no graphic violence or nudity. Yes the costumes were bad. The story-telling was disjointed and it could have been shorter by atleast 20 min.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 03-28-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't care to step into the middle of this whole 'woke' discussion, but I do have to say I think that Harley makes for a poor feminist heroine.

The basics of her character is being seduced and lured into a life of crime by someone she knew to be a sociopath, and was supposed to be under her care. She can't play the victim card too well, as she was a doctor at the Asylum. If anything, as a trained medical professional, she's the one who in any other context would be seen as abusing her power by starting a romantic relationship with her patient, and frankly, it's just as creepy regardless of gender.

And her relationship with Joker doesn't mitigate her own crimes, because 'being in love' is no more valid an excuse than 'just following orders'. Regardless of whether or not she killed Robin in this canon, she's still a crappy, thoughtless person just like her boyfriend.

She's shallow, thoughtless and her origin is pretty creepy, when ya get down to it
    I'm not sure if you are the same person that brought this up in the DC thread, but feminist heroes aren't supposed to be perfect flowers. A feminist hero challenges the patriarchy and for that reason is often viewed as being villainous by society. One of the earliest feminist icons is actually Medusa.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 03-28-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Saw Harley Quinn... I mean Birds of Prey last night.

This was not even good enough for 1 viewing.

Truthfully Suicide Squad is better then this.

People have already list a host of problems like the poor casting of Montoya, lack of focus on other Birds characters, poor casting for the pick pocket, horrible costuming, turning Harley into a feminist symbol, lack of even an appearance by the Joker ... couldnt they have got Mark Hamill even say a few lines from the shadows, fight scene issues... like how does Harley decimate an entire police station without anyone shooting her...

Over all a lot fell flat.

Ewan McGregor was entertaining though.
    HARLEY is well cast just placed in a average film

Would live to see the Birds in something more closely stylized and tone to Batman Returns....

Instead we got overly quirky girl rom com style

5/10 I expect I will not rewatch this...

Suicide Squad crashes and burns after about the first hour, but it started quite strong..

Birds never really takes off and coasts around average

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I'm not sure if you are the same person that brought this up in the DC thread, but feminist heroes aren't supposed to be perfect flowers. A feminist hero challenges the patriarchy and for that reason is often viewed as being villainous by society. One of the earliest feminist icons is actually Medusa.
    And Harley doesn't do that, so what's your point?

I don't care if she's not a perfect flower, btw. But a self interested, selfish person isn't that interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    And Harley doesn't do that, so what's your point?
    I'd recommend you go see the film, and read up a fair bit on feminist cultural theory. Or trust someone who has done both.

Birds of Prey is the most feminist superhero movie ever made. It's up there with Mad Max: Fury Road in working with feminist themes within a pop culture action movie. The main villain's main flaw is that he is unable to see women, but he still craves their appreciation to pull him over his insecurities. It shows toxic and abusive relationships and their effects on people. It is built on the idea of solidarity between women. I could go on and on.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'd recommend you go see the film, and read up a fair bit on feminist cultural theory. Or trust someone who has done both.

Birds of Prey is the most feminist superhero movie ever made. It's up there with Mad Max: Fury Road in working with feminist themes within a pop culture action movie. The main villain's main flaw is that he is unable to see women, but he still craves their appreciation to pull him over his insecurities. It shows toxic and abusive relationships and their effects on people. It is built on the idea of solidarity between women. I could go on and on.
    You could go on and on, but you certainly wouldn't be able to convince me.

I have a hard time seeing it as a feminist movie, simply because Harley's entire character is defined by her ex-boyfriend, it lessens a female minority character into a cliche kid sidekick Cassandra, while making another minority character Harley's whipping boy, Renee.

I'm hard pressed to see how it builds on solidarity between women as the cast only fights together in the final act, and Harley ditches them at the end.

It doesn't have to be a feminist movie, mind, but given the characters involved, and how they were changed and their focus, it seems odd to regard it as such.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Comic book movies should never strife to be better than exploitation flicks. Leave feminist culture to arthouse. Yes, I really believe that. Its just comic books from nerds for nerds. Male or female. Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    My biggest problem with Suicide Squad's mission was the group was punching above their pay grade. I don't want to see them save the world from an ancient magical menace. I want some covert shadow government type thing.
    That is 100% the truth. The Squad are the people who do things in the shadows not the flashy stuff like saving the world.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Comic book movies should never strife to be better than exploitation flicks. Leave feminist culture to arthouse. Yes, I really believe that. Its just comic books from nerds for nerds. Male or female. Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere.
    What if none of that is in there? We keep hearing these claims but NEVER shown it.

It tends to be rage of people not acting the way "I have been stereotyped to believe due to previous materials".

A team of all females is no more an agenda than an all straight white male team.

It's funny ONE has to be justified and the other doesn't.