Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    Oh I don't know about that, I think Chuck Dixon and Greg Rucka and a few other writers know the characters quite well. As a fan I am entitled to my opinion, and I was reading Birds of Prey before Gail Simone entered.

Thus as a seasoned comic fan...I will just say I like authenticity. I want to see the characters on the big screen protrayed how they look in the comics and cartoons. Marvel does it and they have had consecutive box office success. When I see Black Canary in a movie, I want to be able to say, "that's Black Canary!" You would be surprised how many people in the general public are familiar with that character, but they wouldn't know it by watching the trailer.
    Over a decade of DCAU cartoons and Brave and the Bold cartoons have given the general target audience an idea of how Black Canary and to a lesser extent Huntress are supposed to look.

The Arrowverse also featured a comic accurate Black Canary as well for a time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Over a decade of DCAU cartoons and Brave and the Bold cartoons have given the general target audience an idea of how Black Canary and to a lesser extent Huntress are supposed to look.

The Arrowverse also featured a comic accurate Black Canary as well for a time.
    Exactly. So why the dramatic change??? Perhaps what bothers me the most is the picture of her carrying a baseball bat. It makes her look like a thug. Black Canary has always had a sense of elegance about her, I feel completely alienated from the look of this character. To me this is Black Canary.

black canary green.jpg

I was interested till I saw the trailers. Just made it look godawful and trying way too hard. Characters all look one-dimensional with the same one note not just girl power but BADASS XTREME GIRL POWER characterization. Meh. I'll get my female hero fix from WW '84. She's awesome just because Gal Gadot plays it awesome and she is written awesome.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The trailers told me the movie would only be Birds of Prey in name only. It's Harley the whole way through.

Personally I didn't mind Dinah in this. She's true to character. Can't say that about anyone else.

Incredible Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadlin...202853998/amp/

Currently trending to open up to a $50 million opening weekend. Not a box office hit right now but not a flop either with a $75 million budget plus marketing which brings the total to $84 million. I see it closing around $300 million after it's done. Remember it has good word of mouth, valentines/galentines weekend, and no competition until almost April.

Most critics are blaming it on lack of marketing and the R rating with quite of few critics upset because they feel like it's a good film that deserves to be a blockbuster. I think most can definitely say marketing was an issue but it's technically a low budget film so it makes sense. There were only two trailers and I for one never saw the second trailer on tv, just youtube.

Additionally, some are saying it will make a nice chunk of money in home sales once it leaves theaters.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-08-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Definitely one of the lower tier comic movies, in my opinion.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

Currently trending to open up to a $50 million opening weekend. Not a box office hit right now but not a flop either with a $75 million budget plus marketing which brings the total to $84 million. I see it closing around $300 million after it's done. Remember it has good word of mouth, valentines/galentines weekend, and no competition until almost April.

Most critics are blaming it on lack of marketing and the R rating with quite of few critics upset because they feel like it's a good film that deserves to be a blockbuster. I think most can definitely say marketing was an issue but it's technically a low budget film so it makes sense. There were only two trailers and I for one never saw the second trailer on tv, just youtube.

Additionally, some are saying it will make a nice chunk of money in home sales once it leaves theaters.
    Is the 50 world wide? Cause I've seen Forbes and other suggesting as low as 35m. Also seen the production budget reported as 84, 87, 97m by different sources. But regardless the movie will be profitable
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-08-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Is the 50 world wide? Cause I've seen Forbes and other suggesting as low as 35m. Also seen the budget reported as 84, 87, 97m by different sources. But regardless the movie will be profitable
    As I understand it, the various budget figures being tossed around depend on accounting methods, like how to account for tax credits.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

That $50 million weekend was the overseas number. It originally was trended to open overseas at around twice that plus $50 million domestic.

So, we're going from an estimated $150 million global opening just days ago to an estimated $80-85 million at best.

I don't think we'll be seeing any Birds of Prey OR Harley Quinn sequels from this.

Incredible Member

Is the 50 world wide? Cause I've seen Forbes and other suggesting as low as 35m. Also seen the production budget reported as 84, 87, 97m by different sources. But regardless the movie will be profitable
    Yeah the 50 is worldwide. My understanding is the budget is about $97 million but due to California tax credits it brought it down to $84 million

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    As I understand it, the various budget figures being tossed around depend on accounting methods, like how to account for tax credits.
    So the higher numbers like 87 and 97 are what WB payed without accounting for any tax breaks or credits? And 75 is what it ended up costing them? Or we dont know what it cost them?

The movie will make a profit regardless.

@Junkie21. But that's just the production budget right? Though from the sound of it they didnt market it very much. So the usual double for marketing doesnt apply.

Incredible Member

So the higher numbers like 87 and 97 are what WB payed without accounting for any tax breaks or credits? And 75 is what it ended up costing them? Or we dont know what it cost them?

The movie will make a profit regardless.

@Junkie21. But that's just the production budget right? Though from the sound of it they didnt market it very much. So the usual double for marketing doesnt apply.
    Exactly I think the actual production was $75 but the marketing brought to $97 and the tax breaks brought it back down to $84. So marketing wasn't even $25 million

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was interested till I saw the trailers. Just made it look godawful and trying way too hard. Characters all look one-dimensional with the same one note not just girl power but BADASS XTREME GIRL POWER characterization. Meh. I'll get my female hero fix from WW '84. She's awesome just because Gal Gadot plays it awesome and she is written awesome.
    Also, Harley isn't a hero. Anti-hero at best, but she's not really motivated by "protecting innocents" or "stopping bad guys." So, it would depend on what kind of movie you're looking for in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    This movie has two of my favorite comics characters--Huntress and Black Canary--but I've yet to see a trailer or promo that even tempts me to see it. Regardless, I'll be forking out a couple bucks when it's out on Blu-ray (and maybe more than a couple if I go ahead and buy it) and hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised...
    This film has a lot of characters I’m fairly interested in among the BoP, and my second favorite Batcharacter/best Batgirl... but everything I’ve seen and heard about the film says the BoP characters are mostly just supporting characters for a Harley Quinn story, and Cassandra Cain just has her name, ethnicity, and nothing else.

And that’s not a formula that’s particularly interesting to me. I’d probably go see just a BoP film, or just a Harley Quinn film no problem, but combined? The two mini franchises feel to me like they’ll offset my interests in them a bit.

And if Cassandra Cain isn’t done well, that actively discourages me from catching the film. I’ve long held the opinion that all that she’d need to take off and have people see her real potential is to just get exposure with enough of her characteristics intact. And it sounds like none of them are in this movie.

I feel like, if they wanted a Harley Quinn and a team of Gotham Girls film, why wouldn’t you make a Gotham Sirens film? Poison Ivy and Catwoman both have anti-heroic histories older than Harley’s, are also rule breaking rebels, and have a better established rapport with Harley. Heck, Black Mask is even Catwoman’s traditional archnemesis! And if they wanted a Birds of Prey film, juts make a Birds of Prey film.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I was surprised to see Steven Williams (21 Jump Street), nice to see him in something again, in this case comics-adjacent.

I'm glad that Harley's assault on the GCPD involved non-lethal weapons, and I suspect that was on purpose.

For some reason, I had thought this was PG-13 before the dialogue made it obvious that it wasn't. Silly me. Beyond the license to say the f-word myriad times, I wonder what else in the script made it rated R? (I guess we'll see what the first weeks of the box office bring out).

So, "bruce".. um. Was this actually a german shepherd with CGI or was it a real hyena?