Page 37 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Black Canary doesn't have the popularity to measure that, nobody knows who she is.

Edit: Not that the casting should matter. It's not like being white defines Dinah and the actress was wonderful.
    No, Black Canary is top 5 among DC heroines, she has many live action and anime portrayal. Quite a few ppl outside of comic fans knew her well.

If you want to use black heroine and even ripoff Vixen's costume, why not use her.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-22-2020 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Oh suddenly she is not a Sue overall? A little backpedaling? Sounded a lot harsher a few posts earlier.
    And yes I knew the definition and it does not mean what you are trying to say here. So I would say you need to read it again.

"where did it show the Kree Empire's reason like Ares'? There reason was briefly told but not expanded at all, after it was revealed," Try to see the error here.

And if you did not see there was no Ex-team struggle you should really watch the movie unbiased. but I think that would be impossible with your hate-on for the MCU or CM esp.
    I never said she is Sue overall, I said the 2nd half of the movie is quite Sueish.

What's wrong with that? The villains were never expanded while they got potential and they were just bad guys after the reveal. It's very easy to see how lack of depth they are compare to Ares or General Zod. They didn't cause enough threat as well. I never had any bias towards it, it's bad and many ppl have the same view. The audience review is pretty bad on it.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-22-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    The movie is sitting at $153.8M worldwide right now, I think we can officially call it a flop.
    It will need at least(the lowest estimate, I don't think it's enough) 200M to break even with the marketing cost.

Especially the company get less % after 2nd week.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-22-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A disappointment at the box office, sure.

But if you call this a flop, I'm not sure what you'd call Doolittle.

Also, this movie has been reasonably well-received by critics, and its tail is holding up reasonably well. Far better than movies like Suicide Squad (67% drop on its second weekend!) or Justice League (56% drop).

I expect there will be lots of finger pointing and analysis over at WB. There is a lot of politically motivated FUD about the movie from misogynists and their enablers, but I think that the real failure was in the way the movie was marketed (and to me that includes the name of the movie).

Doolittle would be a bomb.

I don't understand why did most of the media still refuse to admit the flop.

The budget is 84m plus reshoot, and the marketing makes it well over 100m cost. A movie usually needs 2.5X of its cost to break even. Right now it only has 73m domestically by the end of this week and around 160m globally on its 3rd week. If you bet on it being a flop there is 99% chance that you will get your money back.

Black Canary is a complete unknown to the general audience, which are the majority of movie goers. She has no real merchandise so her image isn't iconic in the least. There's no evidence that the low box office is linked to them making Dinah black.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Black Canary is a complete unknown to the general audience, which are the majority of movie goers. She has no real merchandise so her image isn't iconic in the least. There's no evidence that the low box office is linked to them making Dinah black.
    She has more than 1 cartoon apperance and has quite a few live action portrayal as the major character of the show. It's safe to say she is among the top 5 most well known DC heroines, next to WW, SG and BG.

I never said it was a big reason, what I'm saying is it did piss of some fans and didn't attract other ppl to see it, just like all the other changes.

Black Canary's image is also well received, that's why she is there for 70 years without her appearance having major overhaul. I bet more general audience wants to see her like that instead of race swap and put Vixen's early costume on for a long part of the movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It will need at least(the lowest estimate, I don't think it's enough) 200M to break even with the marketing cost.
    I think I head some where that it would need to make 300M to break even.

But I think even if it fails to do that, there is still a reasonable chance for it to turn a profit (or at least not to be massive financial loss) with streaming and DVD-sales and similar stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think I head some where that it would need to make 300M to break even.

But I think even if it fails to do that, there is still a reasonable chance for it to turn a profit (or at least not to be massive financial loss) with streaming and DVD-sales and similar stuff.
    250-300 is the reasonable number.

Yeah it's possible but meaningless because there will be NO sequel considered, I doubt Robbie will get another chance to be producer for Harley Quinn movies ever again.

And the BoP name will be tainted in movie franchise for a while. That's what really pissed me off. Sad to see such a great heroine group and cool characters get wasted like this.

Extraordinary Member

I still think that non of the characters looking really recognizable or at least somehow superhero/villain like was not helping the movie.

If you want to use black heroine and even ripoff Vixen's costume, why not use her.
    But that costume is not really Vixens iconic look.
    And I think that Black Canary's Costume looking like this Vixen Costume is very likely just an coincidence (and Blue and Yellow have besides black been typical calors of Black Canary's costume).

She has more than 1 cartoon apperance and has quite a few live action portrayal as the major character of the show. It's safe to say she is among the top 5 most well known DC heroines, next to WW, SG and BG.

I never said it was a big reason, what I'm saying is it did piss of some fans and didn't attract other ppl to see it, just like all the other changes.
    1 cartoon and playing third fiddle on a CW show (which also race swapped her, and didn't have her in the comic look for the majority) doesn't mean the GA knows or cares about her image.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I still think that non of the characters looking really recognizable or at least somehow superhero/villain like was not helping the movie.
    THIS, none of them resemble their comic self or looks like a superheroine at all.

But that costume is not really Vixens iconic look.
    And I think that Black Canary's Costume looking like this Vixen Costume is very likely just an coincidence (and Blue and Yellow have besides black been typical calors of Black Canary's costume).
    I doubt it, still why race swap a famous white heroine when you have the coolest black superheroine to use? It would be really awesome to see Vixen on live action screen because of her amazing fighting skill. She will outshine Black Panther in action scenes if handled well.

1 cartoon and playing third fiddle on a CW show (which also race swapped her, and didn't have her in the comic look for the majority) doesn't mean the GA knows or cares about her image.
    Not one, she has appearance in quite a few series, both in DCAU and Young Justice. Most of the CW version also makes her resemble her comicself. There is also the 2002 BoP series. It's safe to say she is among the top 5 most famous DC heroines and not being a "male hero variant" in costume like SG or BG.

Overall she certainly has enough media appearance other than big screen.

Not one, she has appearance in quite a few series, both in DCAU and Young Justice. Most of the CW version also makes her resemble her comicself. There is also the 2002 BoP series. It's safe to say she is among the top 5 most famous DC heroines and not being a "male hero variant" in costume like SG or BG.

Overall she certainly has enough media appearance other than big screen.
    None of those things had her in a starring role. And you're talking about niche markets who watched the DCAU, much less remember a character that was in about 5 episodes. Again, we aren't speaking about comic fans. Were talking the general audience. If you ask the average person on the street to name 5 superheroines, Canary wouldn't be on the list.