Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default Birds of Prey Reactions

Looks like the BOP first reactions have been released and they are good. I plan on seeing it next week and hopefully it does well at the box office not just to help DC get back on track but so it proves that female centered films and female directed films can be money makers too.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...-harley-quinn/

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Looks like the BOP first reactions have been released and they are good. I plan on seeing it next week and hopefully it does well at the box office not just to help DC get back on track but so it proves that female centered films and female directed films can be money makers too.
    Haven’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel already proven that?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I think Wonder Woman definitely led the way, while Captain Marvel did great too in terms of box office performance. However, I still don't know whether Captain Marvel did well because it was the film before Endgame and was marketed as being a must see because of the tie in. I think we won't know the true popularity of the character until the second film. Also, there needs to be a trend to really bash away the narrative that female films won't do well, it'll take more than just two films.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I think Wonder Woman definitely led the way, while Captain Marvel did great too in terms of box office performance. However, I still don't know whether Captain Marvel did well because it was the film before Endgame and was marketed as being a must see because of the tie in. I think we won't know the true popularity of the character until the second film. Also, there needs to be a trend to really bash away the narrative that female films won't do well, it'll take more than just two films.
    "She wrote it, but she had help." (Joanna Russ, How to Suppress Women's Writing)

There are lots of Marvel films that have made a lot worse than Captain Marvel. Did Captain Marvel get some help from being part of the MCU? Sure. But $1 billion of help? That it achieved on its own.

ETA: As for the twitter reactions, this sure looks like a Harley Quinn movie (violent Harley edition). If that's a good thing or a bad thing I sure everyone can decide based on their own.
    Last edited by kjn; 01-30-2020 at 01:40 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    They did. But part of the structural and pervasive nature of patriarchy is that the memory for women's accomplishments tends to be extremely short, and one failure can easily erase a string of prior successes.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    They did. But part of the structural and pervasive nature of patriarchy is that the memory for women's accomplishments tends to be extremely short, and one failure can easily erase a string of prior successes.
    A lot of this films with female leading characters will do better if they don't obsess or make noise about the fact that they are female leads. what is hurting this female movies today is superficial feminism. They should get a page from Bring it on or the color purple, audiences actually responded to the story of the movie first before realising the characters were women.

If you tell a good story and make a genuine good film, regardless of the gender, things more times than none, falls into place.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-30-2020 at 04:28 AM.

They describe the action like John Wick and most reviews say it is fun. That is enough to get me to go see it when I had no real interest in the movie. A consistent complaint is part of the movie is clunky but it sound like once it picks up it is good.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    A lot of this films with female leading characters will do better if they don't obsess or make noise about the fact that they are female leads. what is hurting this female movies today is superficial feminism. They should get a page from Bring it on or the color purple, audiences actually responded to the story of the movie first before realising the characters were women.

If you tell a good story and make a genuine good film, regardless of the gender, things more times than none, falls into place.
    The Color Purple?

The Color Purple is a 100% feminist work, both the play and the movie.

It's totally about the African-American female experience.......and domestic abuse, homosexuality and incest.

It's the type of movie that will be labelled an "SJW" work today because of how it made men look pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The Color Purple?

The Color Purple is a 100% feminist work, both the play and the movie.

It's totally about the African-American female experience.......and domestic abuse, homosexuality and incest.

It's the type of movie that will be labelled an "SJW" work today because of how it made men look pretty terrible.
    No.
    it is not an SJW movie because the movie told a substantial story about the black experience.it did not make men terrible, it held them accountable for their behaviour.

SJWs got owned for forgetting the color purple when they tried to SJW Speilberg.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-el...d-so-miserably
    Elizabeth Banks Gets Dragged Over ‘The Color Purple’

Am sure birds of prey will be fine, so far there are no controversys but more female films needs to go more for the heart than the superficial agenda of hating men to make women feel strong,

I really think we're past the point of wanting DC to get "back on track."

They're back on track. They're being nominated for Oscars.

Let's move forward instead of constantly rehashing the venom for their past movies.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Let's move forward instead of constantly rehashing the venom for their past movies.
    As a DC fan I think that they have been back on track for a while because I follow what happens more than the general audience member however let's be honest the media won't let the rocky start die so DC can't afford a bad film yet without being crucified.

There is still a lot about this movie that I hate. But since I'm an AMC A+ member, I might go ahead and make it one of my films, just to see Ewan McGreggor hamming it up.

https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-first-reviews/
    ‘Birds Of Prey’ First Reviews Call It An ‘Absolute Blast’

https://ew.com/movies/2020/01/29/bir...ce=twitter.com
    Early Birds of Prey reactions praise Margot Robbie film: 'Kooky and gut-bustingly funny'

As someone who hardly takes reviews seriously any more especially for comic movies, because the standard has dropped severely. I have read some of the first reviews and I sort of find them disappointing. they sound very Marvelish. its fun, its an absolutely blast, its kookoo funny

Once again, I think this is still DC trying to copy from marvel when they don't need to. I would have loved if the reviews were more similar to Deadpool or Batman Returns kind of reviews or Mathew Vaughn's Kick Ass.

Also I am not the biggest fan of Harley Quinn, I prefer Catwoman over her, I think I will sit this one out and just wait for The Batman. Hopefully The Batman can get a more higher prestigious type of review than this comic movies are just fun blast narrative.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-29-2020 at 08:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-first-reviews/
    ‘Birds Of Prey’ First Reviews Call It An ‘Absolute Blast’

https://ew.com/movies/2020/01/29/bir...ce=twitter.com
    Early Birds of Prey reactions praise Margot Robbie film: 'Kooky and gut-bustingly funny'

As someone who hardly takes reviews seriously any more especially for comic movies, because the standard has dropped severely. I have read some of the first reviews and I sort of find them disappointing. they sound very Marvelish. its fun, its an absolutely blast, its kookoo funny

Once again, I think this is still DC trying to copy from marvel when they don't need to. I would have loved if the reviews were more similar to Deadpool or Batman Returns kind of reviews or Mathew Vaughn's Kick Ass.

Also I am not the biggest fan of Harley Quinn, I prefer Catwoman over her, I think I will sit this one out and just wait for The Batman. Hopefully The Batman can get a more higher prestigious type of review than this comic movies are just fun blast narrative.
    And we can't have a movie being fun because it is too "Marvelish"? Really? Your bias is showing as usual. What's next someone makes a joke would that be " Marvelish" too? Because than i have bad News for you…

Will watch the movie but i hope it is more than just Harley and the rest like in the Squad movie or the X-men movies. hope the rest of the Team gets more to do than Psylocke in Apocalypse for example

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

It's a seductive narrative to be seen as rebels or underdogs, WB can use it to give them space to fail or succeed.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-29-2020 at 11:04 PM.