Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Hollywood Accounting is wonky at best, and realistically more like outright fraud. Winston Groom refuses to allow a movie adapted of his sequel to Forrest Gump because Paramount claims - and has produced "proof" - to show the first film lost millions of dollars as a way to disallow Groom from collecting royalties. .
    I remember reading somewhere that Star Wars technically hasn't made a profit. They sell it to themselves for distribution at a loss, something like that

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    Dude the total spend including marketing for this film was $91m. With tax credits it came down to a total cost of $76m they ONLY spent just under $20m on marketing (this far which is a rediculously low anount)

A world wide box office openning weekend of $81m means this film is already $5m into the black.

I'll be honest the internet has destroyed my ability to determine who is serious and who is sarcastic but I'll assume you're the former.

Anyhow, there are very few things I can guarantee in life but one of the few is that that they have not made a profit off of this movie at this time. Your claim requires that the studio gets 100% of the worldwide box office take which is just straight up BS. Domestically, they make at a max 70% while internationally they get only about 33% to 40%.

If you want to argue that the marketing budget was highly limited feel free, but assuming a normal budget/marketing ratio this film will lose money.
    Last edited by trooper_thorn; 02-11-2020 at 05:43 AM. Reason: typo and grammar

Mighty Member

I enjoyed it. Reminded me of the Deadpool movies. Loved how Harley named her Hyena "Bruce".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Interestingly enough, my theater showed about 4 previews before the movie -- all from Disney!

Anyway, one preview was Black Widow, and I was very happy that this movie seemed to be more grounded and gritty than the typical Marvel popcorny flick.

Then, the Red Guardian showed up in all his goofy, millennial-targeted splendor.

My heart sank, and I instantly decided to Blu-wait this movie.

That being said, I have no doubt that in spite of BW being set in the past and likely will have no bearing on the next MCU Phase, it should still do very well because it has the "Marvel Studios" name on it, and that's the biggest thing in Hollywood. I don't know if BW will end up grossing a billion, but it should do at least Ant-Man/Wasp levels ($620 million worldwide).

In any event, BW should do far, far better than Birds of Prey.
    I will admit that my interest in black widow has gone down with her being dead and all, but that is just me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I will admit that my interest in black widow has gone down with her being dead and all, but that is just me.
    I thought BW was going to be at least a $600 million blockbuster but the coronavirus happened in Marvel's second biggest market. Now I think the film may lose money because of what's happening. I wouldn't be surprised if the release date is moved.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-11-2020 at 04:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I was definitely at that point. I'm going to see the movie just for Florence Pugh who I think it one of the best actresses working today. The fact that she might be the "new" Black Widow in the next block of movies makes me excited for the MCU in a way that I was not about any MCU related things post-Endgame.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Birds of Prey Changes Title At Movie Theaters

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is changing its name to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey
    That should have been the original name.

Not sure changing the title will make much difference at this point. I'll admit, though, there may be some people who go to the theater undecided about what movie to see don't know Birds of Prey but are familiar with Harley. Its just that in my experience usually i only go to the theaters to see a specific movie, rather than randomly showing up at a cinema and hoping there'll be something playing i'm interested in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Not sure changing the title will make much difference at this point. I'll admit, though, there may be some people who go to the theater undecided about what movie to see don't know Birds of Prey but are familiar with Harley. Its just that in my experience usually i only go to the theaters to see a specific movie, rather than randomly showing up at a cinema and hoping there'll be something playing i'm interested in.
    Marketing was the biggest issue I think. I've spoken with people and most weren't interested when the first trailer came out and most never saw the second trailer. For those who did see the second trailer they wanted to see it afterwards. Problem is the second trailer dropped pretty late and its barely on tv for people to see. I personally had to see it on YouTube.

We'll see this weekend how it does with the name change an valentines day sales. I also think it coming out the week before valentines day was a bad move

Astonishing Member

Marketing was the biggest issue I think. I've spoken with people and most weren't interested when the first trailer came out and most never saw the second trailer.
    I had two friends who are casual DCEU fans (not die hards but they've seen every other movie) who didn't know the movie had dropped until I asked them to go with me.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

I wonder why they didn't just call the movie Harley Quinn to begin with.

I gotta admit that I'm a little curious on how the marketing and development discussions for this one went, but on the other hand I have a feeling that the WB end of this sausage factory will look really bad.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I gotta admit that I'm a little curious on how the marketing and development discussions for this one went, but on the other hand I have a feeling that the WB end of this sausage factory will look really bad.
    As others pointed out, it was very weird. It was heavy on places like Youtube, Fortnight Tie Ins, things on social media which draw *young people* who can't see your Rated-R movie. And a lot of places where Men frequent--which is ok, except it also looked like the main audience they were trying to draw in was the female demographic.

Retired

Sometimes studios give talent just enough rope to hang themselves. There's a lot of behind the scenes back-biting in Hollywood. The title might have been something that Margot Robbie pushed for and the studio decided to let her have her way just to prove a point if it all went Pete Tong.

Remember that classic SNL sketch where Martin Sheen is sent by the studio execs to the set of APOCALYPSE NOW to rein in Francis Ford Coppola?

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    That should have been the original name.
    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    As others pointed out, it was very weird. It was heavy on places like Youtube, Fortnight Tie Ins, things on social media which draw *young people* who can't see your Rated-R movie. And a lot of places where Men frequent--which is ok, except it also looked like the main audience they were trying to draw in was the female demographic.
    At this point in time it might be in Warner Bros.'s best interest to pull the movie from theaters, re-edit it to a PG-13, and re-release it as Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey. Didn't they re-release a PG-13 version of Deadpool?