Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I would really love to have a discussion about color purple but this is not the thread for it. I only brought up the movie as an example to show women can carry a movie if there is substance and they can do it without superficially hating men.

As for the SJWs, no it is not and it is getting very offensive to claim color purple, a movie based on the hardship of the black experience that is actually a historical fact with some well done fictional characters, it should not be used as a means to justify other female lead films/tv like captain marvel, Michael burnham and rey who are just plain awful badly written characters that SJW love to defend while ignoring good writing , zero character development, story inconsistency and the lore of the series.

Rey and Michael alone have destroyed the entire mythological lore of star trek and star wars and this is because of the SJW agenda that other movies and TV like Color Purple, Bring it On, Wonder Woman, Buffy and Alias have show not to be necessary.

Alice Walker wrote a pulitzer prize masterpiece with the color purple with relatable likeable female characters, neither the recent captain marvel, star wars or trek are masterpieces with their one dimensional shallow writing of their female lead because modern Hollywood thinks this is how to do strong female characters by turning them into super gods with no efforts, hard work or convincing story to back it up.

Holding people like Havey Wienstien or Bill Cosby responsible for their behaviour is not hating men or being SJW, Randomly attacking men and acting all of them are automatically guilty of some kind of assault, privilege or harassment is hating men and acting all SJW. there is a fine line between both and Hollywood is getting it twisted, now back to the topic of birds of prey that I do hope avoid another captain marvel situation.
    You should really try to understand what someone is writing. That is not what they are saying at all. The movie would get called a "SJW" movie by certain People if made today . Just like them making stuff up About movies or actresses "hating men".

Regarding the movie i hope we don't get the "movies are empty" stuff and if the movie is a sucess they will suddenly Change their stuff to "Warner bought tickets to bolster the numbers". I had enough of that idiocy with captain Marvel.

Pretty sure this whole “SJW” and “feminist” films angle is being pushed as a false narrative from a certain portion of genre fandom, so that whenever one of these supposedly “political” films fails at the box office it will be because of that, and a rebuke of feminism in comic book films. Each time the film succeeds instead, a special case excuse is made for it and we roll onto the next one. Of course, it’s win-win for them because not all films can be great and succeed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Pretty sure this whole “SJW” and “feminist” films angle is being pushed as a false narrative from a certain portion of genre fandom, so that whenever one of these supposedly “political” films fails at the box office it will be because of that, and a rebuke of feminism in comic book films. Each time the film succeeds instead, a special case excuse is made for it and we roll onto the next one. Of course, it’s win-win for them because not all films can be great and succeed.
    Quoted for the simplest of truths.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I really think we're past the point of wanting DC to get "back on track."

They're back on track. They're being nominated for Oscars.

Let's move forward instead of constantly rehashing the venom for their past movies.
    It's pretty much become impossible to have a conversation about DC movies without some people whining about how Zack Snyder ruined their childhoods.

Think what you must about this reviews but these kind of reviews are expected, seems like we have another Shazam and Aquaman DC movie only with an R rating.

https://screenrant.com/birds-prey-ha...movie-reviews/
    Birds of Prey Review: Harley Quinn's Wild Ride Is Fierce & Fun As Hell

https://www.cbr.com/review-birds-of-...dc-film-years/

Birds Of Prey Is Bold, Bombastic and the Best DC Film In Years

https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-review/
    ‘Birds of Prey’ Review: Harley Quinn Tries to Break Free of Her DCEU Past

https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-review/
    ‘Birds of Prey’ Review: Harley Quinn Flies Free of the Joker
    Last edited by Beaddle; 02-05-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's pretty much become impossible to have a conversation about DC movies without some people whining about how Zack Snyder ruined their childhoods.
    By no means do I feel Zack Snyder ruined my childhood (Superman, Batman, and the rest of the JL are bigger than he will ever be).

I just think he makes lousy movies.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

89% on Rotten Tomatoes so far. (Positive reviews generally posted first so it will likely drop)

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    By no means do I feel Zack Snyder ruined my childhood (Superman, Batman, and the rest of the JL are bigger than he will ever be).

I just think he makes lousy movies.
    Yeah, and everyone else who does can't seem to miss an opportunity to let the world know how much they dislike his movies or any of the other DC films or tv shows even when talking up the DC films and shows they do like. It's too dark and gritty, the costumes are all wrong, why is she dressed like a hooker, why isn't there enough smiling, they're not pretty enough to play the character. To be honest it makes for an all too unpleasant and hostile environment and makes it look like they only enjoy the newer movies out of spite.

It's honestly quite insufferable and the discourse around this movie was equally toxic.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-05-2020 at 03:06 PM.

From box office projections for opening weekend, it doesn't look like BoP will end up being another billion dollar blockbuster, but I just hope it does well enough so that Warners feels encouraged to do more R-rated CBMs that co-exist with their PG-13 CBMs rather than being in a separate universe like Joker.

I really hope that Suicide Squad ends up with an R-rating.

I'm not looking for R just for the sake of it, but sometimes the material really demands it, and I don't want to see a watered down PG-13 version.

It seems that if Shazam can get a sequel at $364 million worldwide, BoP can get another run if it gets to that same level considering they have similar budgets.

I like the idea of midpriced CBMs. It'll get more stuff greenlit and into theaters. Not everything needs to be a $250 million budget extravaganza.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, and everyone else who does can't seem to miss an opportunity to let the world know how much they dislike his movies or any of the other DC films or tv shows even when talking up the DC films and shows they do like. It's too dark and gritty, the costumes are all wrong, why is she dressed like a hooker, why isn't there enough smiling, they're not pretty enough to play the character. To be honest it makes for an all too unpleasant and hostile environment and makes it look like they only enjoy the newer movies out of spite.

It's honestly quite insufferable and the discourse around this movie was equally toxic.
    People aren't allowed to have opinions on his movies? And I'm not even the one who brought this topic up.

As far as Wonder Woman and Shazam (I didn't think much of Aquaman, myself), I mean, do you really think this is just some vast conspiracy to spite Snyder and his fans? That people don't actually enjoy those movies? Really?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    People aren't allowed to have opinions on his movies?
    Sure? Just totally off-topic here, since the studio hasn't released a Snyder DC film in over 2 years, and since the "back on track" stuff seems to be solely financial, no DC film has actually bombed since Justice League either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Sure? Just totally off-topic here, since the studio hasn't released a Snyder DC film in over 2 years, and since the "back on track" stuff seems to be solely financial, no DC film has actually bombed since Justice League either.
    Like I said, I'm not even the one who brought it up. I just take offense to the notion that people aren't allowed to have differing opinions.

Back on topic, I am seeing BOP this coming Saturday and look forward to getting the Harley McFarlane figure that will soon be released.

Spectacular Member

Just came back… and i loved it.

It doesn’t disregard Suicide Squad at all, it even does a better job of showcasing how the relationship between Harley and Joker was bad.

But at the same time, it doesn’t dwell on SS, besides some winks and callbacks.

It tells a story, the meat of which is set in one day, and the rest is mostly told through flashbacks, which makes for a good reason for Batman not showing up

The movie takes the narration deadlpool did, and actually does it better. Instead of breaking the fourth wall, its Harley being the narrator, wich allows it to be absurd at times, but never too much,.

I was actually suprised how much i liked Black Canary and Huntress, and i would especially have loved to see more of Huntress., but at the same time, Zsasz should have more of a story (the guy was so gay for Black Mask, but its never mentioned)

The soundtrack is banging, and fits every scene,the fight scenes are on point (i mean, im still thinking about what to call someone getting a car door window kicked through??? their head), and the ladies aren’t invulnerable. The bad guys might not win, but they get some kicks in.

The only downside really was Cassandra. I get what her purpose was, but anyone who has ever read Cass, can’t help but think, why use the name if you arent going to use the character.

But in the end this was a good, funny movie, WB is keeping their streak going, telling their own stories, without copying marvel, and both Harley and the birds are left in a place where they can go on to the next movie.

Ill be seeing it at least three more times

Astonishing Member

The only downside really was Cassandra. I get what her purpose was, but anyone who has ever read Cass, can’t help but think, why use the name if you arent going to use the character.
    The latest rumor is that the same writer of this film is also the writer of Batgirl and there are plans for Cassandra in that film. (And whenever the movie is made, the girl will age into closer to the right age)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post

Because she has a OGN out in stores right now.

That is doing this right now on Amazon.

#15 in Teen & Young Adult Superhero Comics-First time in a LONG time a female of color NOT from Marvel ranks that high.
    #5 in Young Adult Coming of Age Comics & Graphic Novels-no Marvel title appears in the top 100.
    #9 in DC Comics & Graphic Novels

That is why you do it. This right here is your best shot to sell her to the public and FORCE the comic book side to NOT bury her.