Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Did her appearances in those cartoons and TV raise her stock? Did her popularity spike? She's still in the same spot as she always was.
    Yes it certainly increased her popularity and made her more well known by the general audience. Many non comic readers knew her due to these series. She's pretty much top 5 among DC heroine, I don't think Question is close, regardless of which version.

Again, tell me does this movie version of her become popular? Right now 90% of the topic is about Harley Quinn. Will the future Black Canary series and adaptation be affected by this version, or keep the old image of the character?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    And there is NO room for another blonde white girl!
    Hey, been here, done that.

Astonishing Member

Yes it certainly increased her popularity and made her more well known by the general audience. Many non comic readers knew her due to these series. She's pretty much top 5 among DC heroine, I don't think Question is close, regardless of which version.
    That exposure is not like movie exposure. Suicide Squad did more for Harley Quinn than the cartoons did.

Again, tell me does this movie version of her become popular? Right now 90% of the topic is about Harley Quinn. Will the future Black Canary series and adaptation be affected by this version, or keep the old image of the character?
    We'll have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That exposure is not like movie exposure. Suicide Squad did more for Harley Quinn than the cartoons did.
    So what? It did increase her popularity. The movie is a chance to further expand her fame along with the BoP team, not to tone down the whole team for Harley Quinn.

We'll have to wait and see.
    Yeah, even most of the current movie talks don't give them much ****, it's all Harley Quinn. Regardless of characterization, plot, actor or looks.

There are bad movies that still have the hero praised, such as Helen Slater's Supergirl but this is not the case, and her image was close to the comic.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

This was a nice laugh.
    "Cable was right!"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

At best Canary being on that show helped her appear in other DC shows but it has done jack to make her known to general audiences. If she was as known as you claim there would have been some kind of major backlash over the race bending. Much like how idiots came out of the woodwork over Starfire and Catwoman having black actresses.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    This was a nice laugh.
    Foe exposure it boosted her tremendously, she came off that film like a rock star. Everyone liked Harley and hated the movie.

So what? It did increase her popularity. The movie is a chance to further expand her fame along with the BoP team, not to tone down the whole team for Harley Quinn.
    It was Harley's film, the BOP were not getting that opportunity with that movie. They di get some badly needed exposure, though.

Yeah, even most of the current movie talks don't give them much ****, it's all Harley Quinn. Regardless of characterization, plot, actor or looks.
    Except the film did give them depth, just not as much as Harley since she is the star.

There are bad movies that still have the hero praised, such as Helen Slater's Supergirl but this is not the case, and her image was close to the comic.
    I'm not saying it won't happen, only that it's too early for it to kick in yet.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-23-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    At best Canary being on that show helped her appear in other DC shows but it has done jack to make her known to general audiences.
    Sigh, I, myself hadn't read much comic when I got to know her from DCAU. General audience tend to know the characters from cartoon and TV series.

If she was as known as you claim there would have been some kind of major backlash over the race bending. Much like how idiots came out of the woodwork over Starfire and Catwoman having black actresses.
    If Starfire could be used as standard, yeah there are backlash over it.

Astonishing Member

Foe exposure it boosted her tremendously, she came off that film like a rock star. Everyone liked Harley and hated the movie.
    I think her popularity in SS has been greatly exaggerated. Now WB made a huge mistake making BOP an R movie, but if Harley was as popular as some have stated due to SS, than the movie should have made a lot more than it currently has. The reviews have been mainly positive and since she's the star, I don't see why it underperformed the way it has. Too bad for Robbie, WB, and fans of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think her popularity in SS has been greatly exaggerated. Now WB made a huge mistake making BOP an R movie, but if Harley was as popular as some have stated due to SS, than the movie should have made a lot more than it currently has. The reviews have been mainly positive and since she's the star, I don't see why it underperformed the way it has. Too bad for Robbie, WB, and fans of the movie.
    Robbie herself decided to make it R rated, as the producer.

And SS was overall faithful to the character and cast. Even her origin as Harleen was shown.

It was Harley's film, the BOP were not getting that opportunity with that movie. They di get some badly needed exposure, though. .

And this is the biggest problem of the movie.

Except the film did give them depth, just not as much as Harley since she is the star.
    Yeah, even the reviews from professionals like Forbes don't bother to talk about them much. Even the supporters and WB uses Harley to attract ppl. How much screen time did Huntress even get and how bad was Cain butchered? Even Black Canary didn't have enough screen time as the founder of the team, which should have been the focus. And tell me HOW was Barbara given depth?

I'm not saying it won't happen, only that it's too early for it to kick in yet.
    Everything is pretty much settled. The only question is that does it have a tiny chance for the movie to break even. There will be no sequel and this version will be thrown into development hell much like the F4 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    The main sell of SS1 was Joker+Harley. Now that Leto's Joker is out of the picture. what is the attraction to her character? DC would be better off replacing Leto to continue the romance of Joker and Harley, a romance that draws in viewers.
    My biggest issue with SS1 Joker and Harley should never be a romance it's an abusive relationship.

NapoleonDeCheese

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think I head some where that it would need to make 300M to break even.

But I think even if it fails to do that, there is still a reasonable chance for it to turn a profit (or at least not to be massive financial loss) with streaming and DVD-sales and similar stuff.
    DVDs and the like actually bring new costs for the companies to pay for (manufacture, packaging, delivery and publicity all over again, the latter an uphill battle when bad word of the mouth from a previous box office underperformance already exists). They aren't a magical fixup to make up for a low showing at the theaters, then.

Everything is pretty much settled. The only question is that does it have a tiny chance for the movie to break even. There will be no sequel and this version will be thrown into development hell much like the F4 movie.
    Robbie's Harley will still show up in James Gunn's Suicide Squad sequel, that's pretty much her last chance to crawl back from this film's wreckage. Maybe they'll toss some quip in that movie making this one a Canon Discontinuity and just move on from there if TSS is a success, but the Birds themselves other than Harley should be pretty much done for.
    Last edited by NapoleonDeCheese; 02-23-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
    DVDs and the like actually bring new costs for the companies to pay for (manufacture, packaging, delivery and publicity all over again, the latter an uphill battle when bad word of the mouth from a previous box office underperformance already exists). They aren't a magical fixup to make up for a low showing at the theaters, then.

Robbie's Harley will still show up in James Gunn's Suicide Squad sequel, that's pretty much her last chance to crawl back from this film's wreckage. Maybe they'll toss some quip in that movie making this one a Canon Discontinuity and just move on from there if TSS is a success, but the Birds themselves other than Harley should be pretty much done for.
    That's what I meant, Harley still gets her shot, but not for the "BoP".

Maybe individual members will still have chance to show up with a new cast and background, but the BoP title is pretty much tainted at least for a while.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-23-2020 at 08:30 PM.

BANNED

I never said she is Sue overall, I said the 2nd half of the movie is quite Sueish.

What's wrong with that? The villains were never expanded while they got potential and they were just bad guys after the reveal. It's very easy to see how lack of depth they are compare to Ares or General Zod. They didn't cause enough threat as well. I never had any bias towards it, it's bad and many ppl have the same view. The audience review is pretty bad on it.

The use of the term is still wrong. Using "Sueish" does not Change that. Read the Wikipedia entry again.

For the final time they had a reason for doing what they did. Start using Terms Right.

"never had any bias towards it" Hope you could write that with a straight face. The last sentence is prove against that. Trying to sell your opinion as that of "many ppl" or audience review is Pretty telling.