Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Birds of Prey Reactions

Looks like the BOP first reactions have been released and they are good. I plan on seeing it next week and hopefully it does well at the box office not just to help DC get back on track but so it proves that female centered films and female directed films can be money makers too.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a3...-harley-quinn/

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Looks like the BOP first reactions have been released and they are good. I plan on seeing it next week and hopefully it does well at the box office not just to help DC get back on track but so it proves that female centered films and female directed films can be money makers too.
    Haven’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel already proven that?

I really think we're past the point of wanting DC to get "back on track."

They're back on track. They're being nominated for Oscars.

Let's move forward instead of constantly rehashing the venom for their past movies.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Haven’t Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel already proven that?
    I think Wonder Woman definitely led the way, while Captain Marvel did great too in terms of box office performance. However, I still don't know whether Captain Marvel did well because it was the film before Endgame and was marketed as being a must see because of the tie in. I think we won't know the true popularity of the character until the second film. Also, there needs to be a trend to really bash away the narrative that female films won't do well, it'll take more than just two films.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Let's move forward instead of constantly rehashing the venom for their past movies.
    As a DC fan I think that they have been back on track for a while because I follow what happens more than the general audience member however let's be honest the media won't let the rocky start die so DC can't afford a bad film yet without being crucified.

There is still a lot about this movie that I hate. But since I'm an AMC A+ member, I might go ahead and make it one of my films, just to see Ewan McGreggor hamming it up.

Niffleheim

It's a seductive narrative to be seen as rebels or underdogs, WB can use it to give them space to fail or succeed.
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-29-2020 at 11:04 PM.

https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-first-reviews/
    ‘Birds Of Prey’ First Reviews Call It An ‘Absolute Blast’

https://ew.com/movies/2020/01/29/bir...ce=twitter.com
    Early Birds of Prey reactions praise Margot Robbie film: 'Kooky and gut-bustingly funny'

As someone who hardly takes reviews seriously any more especially for comic movies, because the standard has dropped severely. I have read some of the first reviews and I sort of find them disappointing. they sound very Marvelish. its fun, its an absolutely blast, its kookoo funny

Once again, I think this is still DC trying to copy from marvel when they don't need to. I would have loved if the reviews were more similar to Deadpool or Batman Returns kind of reviews or Mathew Vaughn's Kick Ass.

Also I am not the biggest fan of Harley Quinn, I prefer Catwoman over her, I think I will sit this one out and just wait for The Batman. Hopefully The Batman can get a more higher prestigious type of review than this comic movies are just fun blast narrative.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-29-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Urgh, I truly am not a fan of this stuff. Have you noticed anytime we hear DC is back on track is because the film in question feels like a Marvel movie? Aquaman, Shazam and now Birds of Prey, maybe that is how the media likes to spin it because of bias but for many DC fans like myself, my skin crawls. this movie seems to be having the same problem. from the reviews, it sounds like a GOTG/Ant man movie for an all female cast.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Urgh, I truly am not a fan of this stuff. Have you noticed anytime we hear DC is back on track is because the film in question feels like a Marvel movie? Aquaman, Shazam and now Birds of Prey, maybe that is how the media likes to spin it because of bias but for many DC fans like myself, my skin crawls. this movie seems to be having the same problem. from the reviews, it sounds like a GOTG/Ant man movie for an all female cast.
    Really?

Because this looks like Suicide Squad all over again. What should be an ensemble cast is hijacked by the biggest star/character, lessening the rest of the cast in the process.

Granted, the X-Men did it first with Wolverine, but DC has fully adopted the policy

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Really?

Because this looks like Suicide Squad all over again. What should be an ensemble cast is hijacked by the biggest star/character, lessening the rest of the cast in the process.

Granted, the X-Men did it first with Wolverine, but DC has fully adopted the policy
    Well I do find Harley Quinn and Hugh Jackman's Wolverine to be overrated characters in their movies.

I really liked Hush the movie, Harley only did a cameo, it was more of a Catwoman and Batman film and it was wonderful, so we really don't need one character hijacking a franchise.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-29-2020 at 08:19 PM.

In principle I want this film to do well even if they've taken an approach I'm not a fan of and just doesn't feel like the BoP to me.

I am disappointed that this take will turn out to be most people's introduction to the character of Cassandra Cain.

Wasnt excited for this but the reviews have swayed me. Seen someone describe it as Tarrentino-esque gore but with JOHN wick quality choreography. Didnt even know this was rated r let alone gonna have that type of action.

Does this mean they are gonna let James Gunn go ape **** and make his suicide Squad hard R?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In principle I want this film to do well even if they've taken an approach I'm not a fan of and just doesn't feel like the BoP to me.

I am disappointed that this take will turn out to be most people's introduction to the character of Cassandra Cain.
    Yeah I will admit that's one disappointment many people share. Cassandra is typically a bad a$$ but seems to be regulated to a prop in the film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    https://screencrush.com/birds-of-prey-first-reviews/
    ‘Birds Of Prey’ First Reviews Call It An ‘Absolute Blast’

https://ew.com/movies/2020/01/29/bir...ce=twitter.com
    Early Birds of Prey reactions praise Margot Robbie film: 'Kooky and gut-bustingly funny'

As someone who hardly takes reviews seriously any more especially for comic movies, because the standard has dropped severely. I have read some of the first reviews and I sort of find them disappointing. they sound very Marvelish. its fun, its an absolutely blast, its kookoo funny

Once again, I think this is still DC trying to copy from marvel when they don't need to. I would have loved if the reviews were more similar to Deadpool or Batman Returns kind of reviews or Mathew Vaughn's Kick Ass.

Also I am not the biggest fan of Harley Quinn, I prefer Catwoman over her, I think I will sit this one out and just wait for The Batman. Hopefully The Batman can get a more higher prestigious type of review than this comic movies are just fun blast narrative.
    And we can't have a movie being fun because it is too "Marvelish"? Really? Your bias is showing as usual. What's next someone makes a joke would that be " Marvelish" too? Because than i have bad News for you…

Will watch the movie but i hope it is more than just Harley and the rest like in the Squad movie or the X-men movies. hope the rest of the Team gets more to do than Psylocke in Apocalypse for example