Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    You are correct. It's blatantly obvious that Cass was shown because they wanted to exploit her multiple diversity quotas tally.
    You're just set on interpreting things in the worst possible light?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Retired

It's ridiculous to make this "woke" argument (which is being distorted as a term). If you didn't have that mindset going into the movie and you viewed it as many a movie from back in the day, you'd never see it in those terms. What about all the sitcoms from the past where the men are brainless slobs? You could take that attitude with THE SIMPSONS, where Bart is an intellectually smart-mouthed delinquent, Homer is an obese moron and only Marge and Lisa have a high IQ and admirable ethics. It's so annoying when people are already against a movie before it's even begun--how can I trust any of their reactions, if they've put up all their defenses? This is why I had to see BOPATFEOOHQ early, because I realized my view of the movie was going to be tainted by so many reactions if I waited any longer.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    The guy who makes Harley's egg sandwich seemed OK. He even let Harley slide on the $0.75 she owed.

Otherwise, no, can't think of any.
    I would count the old man who sold out Harley. Yea he betrayed her but they blew up his place. He needed relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I would count the old man who sold out Harley. Yea he betrayed her but they blew up his place. He needed relocation.
    Hey knew they were going to blow it up. He did it for the insurance money
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Mighty Member

As long time Birds of Prey fan I was initially excited, but after seeing Black Canary with dreadlocks, a baseball bat and what appears to be a bull earing through her nose, and a pasty white actress playing the Sicilian vigalante...I think I'll keep my wallet at home.

In fairness, they did get Harley Quinn down pat right, which makes me feel the Birds of Prey are just add ons. It bugs me that Marvel comics is able to visually protray their characters exactly like the comics, but for the most part, DC cannot.

As far as the woke controversy. It's a female super team, it's supposed to be about empowering women (ie; superwomen) get over it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Here’s my reactions

7. I didn't think the movie was particularly trying to sell any particular political or even feminist message beyond the basic assumed premise of "super-type women can kick some ungodly amounts of ass" which... yeah? And yet when I got home and searached for "Birds of Prey" on YouTube, it seems like the idiots are coming out of the woodwork with video titles like "Woke Didn't Work" and that kind of bullshit. This movie is absolutely not doing any kind of moral posturing, the main character is a bad person, the whole thing is gloriously amoral. It's not trying to be woke, and it isn't woke. And it succeeds at being what it's trying to be, which is fun and hilarious.
    The fact the leads are females and some are females of color-is enough to rile that group up. Because it existing is viewed as an attack on all men.

Because that is the group who will NEVER watch this film in the first place. So there is no point in arguing with them.

For SOME Wonder Woman should be the only female among BOTH companies with a film. Unless it's Batgirl or Supergirl-no other female (including Black Widow) should have a film.

Reality is that doesn't make it. Both companies have to expand. Not every film with a nonwhite male lead is an attack on them. Even if this movie was to fail-that is not going to stop both companies from trying something else.

As a non englisch/american person I don't understand the term "woke" or "woekness". I can translate it, but I didn't get the meaning. And I see it every so often these days.

What does it mean that Birds of Prey is not trying to be woke?
    Woke is meant to be aware of social issues.

If this film was done in the 80s-90s-we are NOT having this conversation. It would be just another film.
    But because of stuff like Me-Too and folks no longer settling for status quo-you see push back.

Because some of those guys think this film would be 90 minutes to 2 hours of white male bashing. Especially if a white male is NOT cast as the lead or a lead (Star Wars).

Then reality hits-the film is NOT doing that and ONLY the folks who saw it-KNOW that.

Astonishing Member

Warner really fumbled the ball making Harley an R. From what I scanned from the comments the movie could have skipped the F bombs and it would have made the PG-13 cut, thereby letting all the young girl teens(and boys) watch the movie. Too bad since the movie has a fresh rating from the audience.

I still think WB overestimated the popularity of Robbie's HQ. Yes HQ sells tons of merch but her actual portrayal didn't have the following of Ryan's Deadpool. Wonder how many movies HQ will appear after this fumble.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Warner really fumbled the ball making Harley an R. From what I scanned from the comments the movie could have skipped the F bombs and it would have made the PG-13 cut, thereby letting all the young girl teens(and boys) watch the movie. Too bad since the movie has a fresh rating from the audience.

I still think WB overestimated the popularity of Robbie's HQ. Yes HQ sells tons of merch but her actual portrayal didn't have the following of Ryan's Deadpool. Wonder how many movies HQ will appear after this fumble.
    WB will apparently still go forward with Gotham City Sirens so will see HQ again.

Quote Originally Posted by BringMe_YoungManLogan View Post
    As long time Birds of Prey fan I was initially excited, but after seeing Black Canary with dreadlocks, a baseball bat and what appears to be a bull earing through her nose, and a pasty white actress playing the Sicilian vigalante...I think I'll keep my wallet at home.
    I would disagree, but I think I'll let someone far more knowledgable about the Birds of Prey than you or me chime in. Because I don't think there is any person who knows these characters better today than Gail Simone, or cares about them as much:

From one long Twitter thread:

My core Canary is not a series of continuity connections, she’s not a roadmap. She’s a force of personality.

My question for the film was, does she have heart, does she put others’ safety above herself, does she kick ass and smile after.

And the answer is, damn right she does.

My feeling is, with Canary and Harley and Huntress, they gave us fresh, updates takes layered on top of EXACTLY what I love in the comics. Is Huntress quirky from years of isolation? Does vengeance leave her empty? Yes. That IS Huntress.

Her awkwardly making friends IS Helena.
    Or perhaps a little earlier:

So I have been saying.

@jurneesmollett is the goddamn Black Canary.

It makes me so happy that now EVERYONE knows.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member

Weekend ain't over yet. My opinion on the movie is clear, but its to early to call it a failure

Incredible Member

The movie only cost about $84 million and I truly think that the film coming out the week before valentines day hurt it. I think it will make a profit and see an uptick next week. Realistically, think of all the guys who take their girlfriends to the movies on valentines day and all of the single females who will likely go with their girlfriends to celebrate galentines day.

I do agree that the R rating is cutting out the teen female crowd who probably love Harley but let's face it they are probably sneaking in the theater to see it still or having an adult take them.

Additionally, look at the legs it will probably have, there's not any competition until almost April as I doubt Sonic will do much.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Glad you loved it, and it seems everyone who saw it in this thread already at least thought it was ok. So, no BvS teeth-gnashing from anyone. I'll definitely see it opening weekend without trepidation.

It's interesting you say that it doesn't disregard Suicide Squad because James Gunn's Suicide Squad reboot WILL ignore the first movie...

... I think.
    that would be a mistake.
    It acknowledges suicide squad the same way aquaman and Shazam did justice league.
    Those movies happened, but no one is dwelling on it besides one or two lines (and in this case a picture) of referencing it

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I would disagree, but I think I'll let someone far more knowledgable about the Birds of Prey than you or me chime in. Because I don't think there is any person who knows these characters better today than Gail Simone, or cares about them as much:

Oh I don't know about that, I think Chuck Dixon and Greg Rucka and a few other writers know the characters quite well. As a fan I am entitled to my opinion, and I was reading Birds of Prey before Gail Simone entered.

Thus as a seasoned comic fan...I will just say I like authenticity. I want to see the characters on the big screen protrayed how they look in the comics and cartoons. Marvel does it and they have had consecutive box office success. When I see Black Canary in a movie, I want to be able to say, "that's Black Canary!" You would be surprised how many people in the general public are familiar with that character, but they wouldn't know it by watching the trailer.
    Last edited by The no face guy; 02-08-2020 at 11:42 AM.

This movie has two of my favorite comics characters--Huntress and Black Canary--but I've yet to see a trailer or promo that even tempts me to see it. Regardless, I'll be forking out a couple bucks when it's out on Blu-ray (and maybe more than a couple if I go ahead and buy it) and hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Just saw the movie.

I liked it, but didn't love it, but wasn't disappointed by it, either. It was worth seeing at the theater, and I'm glad I did.

But now that I have seen it, I'm not surprised it's not packing in the crowds.

This movie seems like a CBM version of bad-girl chick flicks. Like anything Melissa McCarthy or Amy Schumer would appear in.

However, those movies tend to top out in the below-$150 million domestic range.

Comic Book Movies, even modestly budgeted ones, are expected to do quite a bit more than that. Otherwise, the "disappointing box office" stories will start to appear online come Monday.

I think the problem with BoP-HQ is a combination of the R-rating which keeps the kids away, the all-female cast which is going to keep a lot of guys away, and the hyperviolence which women don't really flock to the theater to see.

It's kind of a recipe on how to construct a NO-Quadrant movie.

If this weren't a CBM, I wouldn't have bothered to see it.

Unfortunately, I do feel this movie will struggle to reach $100 million domestically, and may not even do that.