Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    DC doesn't seem to get that a lot of us will never accept Harley Quinn. She is a criminal and a murderer. So to tack her onto a BOP movie that's supposed to be about heroes is a huge turnoff to a lot of people. This attempt to redeem Harley in everyone's eyes isn't going to work. I think they just assumed that anyone who is a fan of the BOP would come out for this movie. What they are doing is attaching two different fanbases to each other and assuming they're the same. Plus, she's just annoying. Even taking the murderer aspect out of the equation. Her dialogue is obnoxious. FFS, she was the main villain in the BOP TV show! Has everyone forgotten that? I have to wonder how this movie would have done without Harley attached to it. Instead if became Harley and her sidekicks.
    Who didn't forget that show...talk about just god awful TV

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    BOP sold like 70k in it's prime? I mean this movie needs all the viewers it can get, but I think WB now regrets marketing the BOP at all, if anything the small but vocal BOP fans are all like "This isn't the classic BOP!" everywhere.

Yeah, that part kind of amazes me, so whiny. When GotG came out i don't remember fans of the comic being all up in arms at the changes to Starlord's character, or the more comedic takes on Drax and Gamora....and i was a huge fan of the comics. But i agree, would've been better to call it the harley quinn movie and not even mention BoP, it seems. I'm pretty sure it was Robbie's idea, as she wanted to spotlight some of DC's female characters while simultaneously making sure nobody else would upstage her.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Gruenwald View Post
    Harley Quinn is DC's poochie.
    Will she return to her home planet after this?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Will she return to her home planet after this?
    She'll be killed on the way there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Yeah, that part kind of amazes me, so whiny. When GotG came out i don't remember fans of the comic being all up in arms at the changes to Starlord's character, or the more comedic takes on Drax and Gamora....and i was a huge fan of the comics. But i agree, would've been better to call it the harley quinn movie and not even mention BoP, it seems. I'm pretty sure it was Robbie's idea, as she wanted to spotlight some of DC's female characters while simultaneously making sure nobody else would upstage her.
    Robbie was offered a choice between a Harley solo and an ensemble. If she was worried about someone upstaging her she'd have picked the former.

Changing the movie's name is a move DC should never have made. It comes off as desperate. Making the movie R was where things went wrong.

Astonishing Member

Huntress needs her own movie. She was a delight on screen, give her the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Making the movie R was where things went wrong.
    Yeah. I enjoyed the movie but the R rating wasn't necessary. I wanted MORE madcap nonsense in BOP, so wacky bleeps or car horns where people said curse words would've been on brand and cute.

Incredible Member

Box office update:

Currently sitting at 95 million worldwide with an expectation of adding 15-16 million over the weekend domestically.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas.../gr1265914373/

I think its almost safe to say the movie isn't a flop and if it holds it will have similar numbers as Shazam or Ford v Ferrari. Just because the film could've been bigger with a PG-13 rating doesn't regulate it to being a flop. For the most part its performing like most R rated films that are not comic book films with the possibility of turning a higher profit than some comic book R rated films that had a higher budget.

It's funny how the narrative is on this film when similar budgeted films have performed about the same.

To put into perspective Logan grossed $619 million worldwide and most likely profited around $156 million off of its $127 million budget. If you subtract $106 million off the top (china) you get $513 million. Multiply $513 by 0.50 (percentage of revenue received by studio) and that gives $256.5 million. Add 26.5 million (revenue received from china gross 25 percent). That gives $283 of revenue. Finally subtract 127 for the budget and the profit comes to around $156 million.

For BoP to do Logan profit it needs to make around $324 million without a China release which seems obtainable. When a film is broken down by the numbers it gives a clearer view on its status.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Box office update:

Currently sitting at 95 million worldwide with an expectation of adding 15-16 million over the weekend domestically.
    I'll definitely be doing my part adding to it domestically this weekend.

Incredible Member

http://www.boxofficereport.com/predi...edictions.html

Expected to make $20 million domestically this weekend.
    So either by the end of this weekend it will be at or close to its break even point of $168 million once worldwide figures come in.

Surprisingly, Sonic is trending upward. Apparently made $3 million from Thursday night viewings.

So either by the end of this weekend it will be at or close to its break even point of $168 million once worldwide figures come in.

Surprisingly, Sonic is trending upward. Apparently made $3 million from Thursday night viewings.
    Good on the Blue Blur .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    DC doesn't seem to get that a lot of us will never accept Harley Quinn. She is a criminal and a murderer. So to tack her onto a BOP movie that's supposed to be about heroes is a huge turnoff to a lot of people. This attempt to redeem Harley in everyone's eyes isn't going to work. I think they just assumed that anyone who is a fan of the BOP would come out for this movie. What they are doing is attaching two different fanbases to each other and assuming they're the same. Plus, she's just annoying. Even taking the murderer aspect out of the equation. Her dialogue is obnoxious. FFS, she was the main villain in the BOP TV show! Has everyone forgotten that? I have to wonder how this movie would have done without Harley attached to it. Instead if became Harley and her sidekicks.
    The film isn't about redeeming Harley Quinn, everyone knows she's a bad person - including Harley.

Fantastic Member

Worldwide Box office will likely have to hit somewhere between $250M and $300M to break even depending on the exact domestic/overseas split, so right now they're still about $82M short of the bare minimum necessary (given the reshoots it's probably at the higher end).

It's doable, a 38% drop in box office would be quite low for a comic book movie (most are in the 50-60% range) so if that prediction is accurate then there's hope, however the % they take from domestic theaters will begin dropping next week so they'll need the international numbers to remain consistent. Don't forget that this won't be opening in China so pretty much every major market has already been hit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Worldwide Box office will likely have to hit somewhere between $250M and $300M to break even depending on the exact domestic/overseas split, so right now they're still about $82M short of the bare minimum necessary (given the reshoots it's probably at the higher end). John Wick 3 is the best current comparison and it had a larger marketing budget and is sitting at $326 million worldwide and is considered profitable

It's doable, a 38% drop in box office would be quite low for a comic book movie (most are in the 50-60% range) so if that prediction is accurate then there's hope, however the % they take from domestic theaters will begin dropping next week so they'll need the international numbers to remain consistent. Don't forget that this won't be opening in China so pretty much every major market has already been hit.
    How did you come up with $250-300 million to break even? Curious as to why a movie with a production budget of $75 million and marketing of roughly $22 million (tax credits brought to total down to $82 or $84 million) needs to make that much to break even.

John Wick 3 is the most recent film that is comparable as it had the same budget with almost 20 million more money spent on marketing. Its sitting at $326 million worldwide and is considered profitable.

With WB being a major studio and distributor, I would assume a domestic split of 50% and 40% for international. No china release so nothing there to calculate. I get the longer it stays in theaters the more the domestic split shrinks but it's only been a week and with little competition outside of Sonic, I don't see theaters having much negotiation power until about March.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-14-2020 at 06:57 PM.