Page 3 of 64 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    No female lead super-hero has done this.
    It's usually a bunch of incels feeling like they're being attacked or rejected anytime a female-lead film (or most usually, an ad, article, or interview rather than the film itself) implies "girls rule, boys drool."

I hope this movie does well, but more than that I hope it's a good movie. The ads don't instill me with confidence since the BoP are downplayed and I have no idea what the actual story might be. And unless they're keeping it a surprise, not thrilled about superhero characters not being superheroes or having costumes - HQ looks like she's going to an EDM festival more than a comic book character and the others are essentially wearing street clothes (though Huntress seems to wear a mask at some point)

Honestly, the film also has some stiff competition with the "HQ" animated series on DCU. That show has been awesome - it's funny, embraces the full DCU and has some poignant things to say about a damaged character who was in a relationship with a madman.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-31-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's usually a bunch of incels feeling like they're being attacked or rejected anytime a female-lead film (or most usually, an ad, article, or interview rather than the film itself) implies "girls rule, boys drool."

I could be wrong but I think there is a TV spot where Harley says gays and girls are her only friends. Ironic that she is mostly famous because she is Joker's girlfriend.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-31-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Some people here seem to be upset that Birds of Prey will basically be a Harley Quinn movie.

However, looking over the cast, it would surprise me if it weren't because Harley is likely the best known character to the general public and the only character in the film that has already been in a film. I think it's a pretty smart way to introduce the Birds of Prey concept by tacking it onto a Harley film. Then, they can both go their separate ways in future movies.

Anyway, regarding Suicide Squad: I would be surprised if DC/Warners does NOT go for the R-rating for this. The material demands it, and this is something that DC can do that Marvel-Disney can't. Anyway, I think the R-rating plus Gunn as director would attract the audience to an SS reboot like catnip.

It's such a no-brainer that even a studio executive could see it.
    Then they should have called the movie Harley Quinn. What's the point in this being Birds of Prey when the obvious goal was to have a Harley film?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Then they should have called the movie Harley Quinn. What's the point in this being Birds of Prey when the obvious goal was to have a Harley film?
    Look at it the other way, the movie will come out and one character could upstage harley. Remember Xmen origins? as bad as that movie was, many will tell you that Wolverine was upstaged by first act Deadpool and Gambit and they needed their own spin off films. Deadpool did and the rest they say is history.

My money here is on black canary. I have seen some of the TV spots of her using her supersonic canary cry, it looks good. I see potential of her, also she has always been a fan favourite in the comics. what they could also do is bring in Poison Ivy for the next film to balance Harley out.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-31-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    No female lead super-hero has done this.
    Accurate.

10 characters.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

World building. Why did Black Widow appear in Iron Man 2, etc.

Even though it's Harley's movie, she needs other characters to play off of.

Astonishing Member

Then they should have called the movie Harley Quinn.
    They're saving that title (or HARLEEN) for the eventual gritty, multi-award winning origin story starring a more homely recast of Margot Robbie

If Robbie has any sense, she should head to the Bronx and Instagram herself dancing on those stairs.... ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    A lot of this films with female leading characters will do better if they don't obsess or make noise about the fact that they are female leads. what is hurting this female movies today is superficial feminism. They should get a page from Bring it on or the color purple, audiences actually responded to the story of the movie first before realising the characters were women.

If you tell a good story and make a genuine good film, regardless of the gender, things more times than none, falls into place.
    I have absolutely no clue what you are trying to say here.

Should films like Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel have been marketed like as if Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel aren't the leads? What is "superficial feminism", and which "female movies" are you talking about?

And a lot of feminist cultural analysis is how the publishing and marketing industries are continually stacked against women. For men, things will fall into place. For women, things will likely won't fall into place. And feminist theory is about showing the mechanisms why tha happens.

Am sure birds of prey will be fine, so far there are no controversys but more female films needs to go more for the heart than the superficial agenda of hating men to make women feel strong,
    So that's the "superficial feminism": hating men? So which movies or works are you talking about?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I dont have an issue with this. I woulda preferred it be Ivy and Catwoman and gotten GOTHAM City Sirens. But no matter what It was gonna be a Harley movie. And she needs a supporting cast. Why not the BOP to bounce off and introduce the characters. We could get a proper BOP film or even Canary and Green Arrow movie after this. Who knows, but I don't see the issue. then again I'm not a huge BOP fan so I have less feeling towards they're treament. If your a big BOP fan I get where your coming from.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont have an issue with this. I woulda preferred it be Ivy and Catwoman and gotten GOTHAM City Sirens. But no matter what It was gonna be a Harley movie. And she needs a supporting cast. Why not the BOP to bounce off and introduce the characters. We could get a proper BOP film or even Canary and Green Arrow movie after this. Who knows, but I don't see the issue. then again I'm not a huge BOP fan so I have less feeling towards they're treament. If your a big BOP fan I get where your coming from.
    Gotham City Sirens is supposed to be in development as we speak, I heard the plan was to set up a crossover where the two teams fight each other. My theory is in the sequel Harley might be gone once they'e established themselves, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll introduce Oracle to fill her spot.

Love for Dina Meyer to be Oracle again.

birdsofpreybatmeyer2.jpg
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-01-2020 at 04:51 AM.

From reviews I saw it's the Harley show but Cannery gets alot of time and Cassie/Huntress get serviceable amount of development. Montoya gets the short stick but I dont think that's gonna bother anyone. Anyway sounds like its definetly a Harley movie but the rest the team get a fair amount of development and screen time.

The reviews changed my mind, I was gonna see it eventually cause I got that AMC movie pass buts now I'll make room opening weekend.
    From reports I read Warner Bros. had just wanted to make a Harley Quinn movie but it was Margot Robbie that insisted that other characters get included. So even if they don't get as much screen time
    in the movie as Harley Quinn does, at least they are getting screen time. It's not like anyone else wanted the Birds of Prey in their movie or there was any plans for a Birds of prey movie.

My memory is similar to what Osiris-Rex said. Margot Robbie and WB started to explore a Harley Quinn movie as a followup to Suicide Squad, but Robbie knew from the start that she wanted a girl gang movie, not a strict solo outing. Then they picked through a couple of prospective scripts, and they judged that the Birds of Prey script was stronger than the Gotham City Sirens script.

Harley Quinn is still the most important character, but we're probably much more like the 2000 X-Men rather than Logan.

As for Oracle being introduced, there is another big possibility, in Gunn's The Suicide Squad. After all, it seems he is going back to Orlando's and Yale's original run in themes and inspiration, and I can't think of a more fitting setting to bring her back.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I still maintain that, even if they were drawing from the BoP source material, the tone and style of this film seems more Gotham City Sirens then Birds of Prey.

Ultimate Member

No.
    it is not an SJW movie because the movie told a substantial story about the black experience.it did not make men terrible, it held them accountable for their behaviour.
    As someone who saw the movie and READ the book-that was straight up feminism 101. The major difference was it was women fighting back against men who WILLINGLY mistreated them. So yes you are correct about the accountability aspect.

Because of THAT alone-it would get DRILLED as a SJW movie. Because some folks don't want to see women fighting back to men-who they view are RIGHT in their behavior.

Am sure birds of prey will be fine, so far there are no controversys but more female films needs to go more for the heart than the superficial agenda of hating men to make women feel strong,
    Name this movie. Where is this movie at? It does not exist. It never has.

Now we have had movies where women fight back towards men who did them wrong.

The crap this movie is getting (especially on Twitter & Youtube) are from guys looking to monetize HATE on youtube.
    It has nothing to do with plot.

I have seen guys post pics of movie theaters ticket ordering claiming it was Birds of Prey and how EMPTY the theater was.
    Make up FAKE stories for youtube hits.
    Encourage boycotts targeting Jurmee because of her brother.

The SAME mess I saw done to Cap Marvel, Black Panther, Ghostbusters & Star Wars.

I saw a guy make videos trashing Star Wars Last Jedi. He got exposed when someone called him out-he was begging for money to get a haircut and got asked how could he have seen Star Wars and now needs money for a hair cut. He never saw the film.
    He BASHED that film based on trailers. He made 10 of them. Even comparing the movie to Transformers 1986.

These are the guys attacking Birds of Prey. Normal folks won't even KNOW about them. We know because we are comic book fans.