Page 38 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    None of those things had her in a starring role.
    Doesn't matter, she still plays big role in these TV series and was a recurring member of DCAU/YJ.

And you're talking about niche markets who watched the DCAU, much less remember a character that was in about 5 episodes. Again, we aren't speaking about comic fans. Were talking the general audience. If you ask the average person on the street to name 5 superheroines, Canary wouldn't be on the list.
    No, she is quite easy to leave deep impression with her personality, other than WW and HG, she is the most memorable character to me and quite a few ppl.

These are not comic fans, they are cartoon and TV fans, part of the general audience.

She isn't among the most famous ones only because she has not been featured in big screen yet before this one. If we remove the move influence especially MCU, there is a very high chance for Black Canary to pop up.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 02-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Bad ones like Supergirl, Green Lantern at least picked the hero as the main character and gave it a try, no matter how bad it was.

BoP was brought to support Harley instead of getting their own movie, but they had to take the mess while Harley at least got another chance to go in SS2.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Black Canary should have some popularity since she's been used in non-comic book media since Justice League Unlimited.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Doesn't matter, she still plays big role in these TV series and was a recurring member of DCAU/YJ.

No, she is quite easy to leave deep impression with her personality, other than WW and HG, she is the most memorable character to me and quite a few ppl.

These are not comic fans, they are cartoon and TV fans, part of the general audience.

She isn't among the most famous ones only because she has not been featured in big screen yet before this one. If we remove the move influence especially MCU, there is a very high chance for Black Canary to pop up.
    It very much matters. Her exposure hasn't been that great or widespread. That's the entire point.

And your last statement just proves my point further. The fact you have to place qualifiers to even put her in the running shows nobody thinks of her first. Hell, most people would be hard pressed to name more than 5 female superheroes.

But let me know when her merchandise starts flying off the shelves...

It very much matters. Her exposure hasn't been that great or widespread. That's the entire point.

And your last statement just proves my point further. The fact you have to place qualifiers to even put her in the running shows nobody thinks of her first. Hell, most people would be hard pressed to name more than 5 female superheroes.
    Only because she didn't have big screen appearancel. Other than that she is fine among the general audience as a comic character. You said she's a nobody but it's not true. Even with the movies influence, she might still make it into like top 10-15.

And this is WHY I care a lot of this movie, they wasted the chance of her(alongside the other BoP members) to reach higher popularity by making unnecessary changes and lower their importance to support Harley Quinn. And then they had to take the consequences heavier than Harley.

But let me know when her merchandise starts flying off the shelves...
    It doesn't matter, you said she's a nobody, completely unknown among general audience but it's not true.

And THIS movie is the chance to let her and other BoP members' merchandise fly up, but they blew it off badly.

It doesn't matter, you said she's a nobody, completely unknown among general audience but it's not true.

And THIS movie is the chance to let her and other BoP members' merchandise fly up, but they blew it off badly.
    You still haven't shown that the general audience cares about her like that, though. That's my point about merchandising. The movie bombing can be attributed to a number of factors, outside of the race swap.

You still haven't shown that the general audience cares about her like that, though. That's my point about merchandising. The movie bombing can be attributed to a number of factors, outside of the race swap.
    She is not a nobody. There is a number of ppl care about her and other characters, the changes didn't make more ppl to see it compare to the ppl they have pissed off. And the box office is a proof of the failure.

Imagine if there is no Harley Quinn or she gets a big overhaul, too, how well is this cast/characterization going to do in the box office?

Your whole point is: She's a nobody, nobody care about these characters being faithful or not, MCU being the example.

My statement: She does have some popularity among the general audience and is a well known superheroine compare to others. Sure you CAN make the change but only if it's going to bring more ppl to see it to make it a success, this move had failed to do so. This Black Canary along with the BoP is not well received compare to their general image as well.

We can also see how much impact will this version of BoP affect these character's later image, other than a few movie related issue, will the future portrayal base on the comic or this one. It's way to see which version does the audience prefer.

Your whole point is: She's a nobody, nobody care about these characters being faithful or not, MCU being the example.

My statement: She does have some popularity among the general audience and is a well known superheroine compare to others. Sure you CAN make the change but only if it's going to bring more ppl to see it to make it a success, this move had failed to do so. This Black Canary along with the BoP is not well received compare to their general image as well.
    I never brought up the MCU...

And my point is Canary's isn't so iconic that a great many people refused to see this film based on her race swap. So far you haven't shown any evidence that it is.

I never brought up the MCU...

And my point is Canary's isn't so iconic that a great many people refused to see this film based on her race swap. So far you haven't shown any evidence that it is.
    No there aren't many but surely are, and how many ppl are going to see it because she was race swapped? If even much fewer, WHY make the change to the co-founder and core heroine of BoP? Which image is going to attract ppl to see it even if they never know anything about her? The original Black Canary or this one?

Even MCU didn't swap Iron Man, Thor, Spider Man or CA. Fantastic Four tried once but failed badly and was criticized, even though MBJ is a good actor.

This video and Sonic's success also proves it.

I'm not a purist on adaptation, not even on classic literature works. But if your work doesn't follow the source material, you have to make sure the changed version will be appealing enough to the general audience, which this movie has failed to do so.

Black Canary's image has been quite outstanding among comic heroines, especially since her costume is not "male hero variant". I'm sure it's not something that requires change because the general audience certainly likes it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

This video and Sonic's success also proves it.

I'm not a purist on adaptation, not even on classic literature works. But if your work doesn't follow the source material, you have to make sure the changed version will be appealing enough to the general audience, which this movie has failed to do so.

Black Canary's image has been quite outstanding among comic heroines, especially since her costume is not "male hero variant". I'm sure it's not something that requires change because the general audience certainly likes it.
    Citation needed