Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Are people still going back and forth about this movie?

Dear Lord, get a freaking life. Discuss whether this film is good or bad. Discuss whether the marketing was decent or just cover for an expected bomb. Hell, discuss whether this is a decent stand alone film or simply a set up for a series (a la most Marvel films). Do something substantive.

But FFS nobody cares about your petty ideological proclivities. If you catch yourself using terms/phrases such as "Incel Ideology", "SJW", "patriarchy", or something similar take a pause and try and figure out what went wrong with your life.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As someone who saw the movie and READ the book-that was straight up feminism 101. The major difference was it was women fighting back against men who WILLINGLY mistreated them. So yes you are correct about the accountability aspect.

Because of THAT alone-it would get DRILLED as a SJW movie. Because some folks don't want to see women fighting back to men-who they view are RIGHT in their behavior.

Name this movie. Where is this movie at? It does not exist. It never has.

Now we have had movies where women fight back towards men who did them wrong.

The crap this movie is getting (especially on Twitter & Youtube) are from guys looking to monetize HATE on youtube.
    It has nothing to do with plot.

I have seen guys post pics of movie theaters ticket ordering claiming it was Birds of Prey and how EMPTY the theater was.
    Make up FAKE stories for youtube hits.
    Encourage boycotts targeting Jurmee because of her brother.

The SAME mess I saw done to Cap Marvel, Black Panther, Ghostbusters & Star Wars.

I saw a guy make videos trashing Star Wars Last Jedi. He got exposed when someone called him out-he was begging for money to get a haircut and got asked how could he have seen Star Wars and now needs money for a hair cut. He never saw the film.
    He BASHED that film based on trailers. He made 10 of them. Even comparing the movie to Transformers 1986.

These are the guys attacking Birds of Prey. Normal folks won't even KNOW about them. We know because we are comic book fans.
    Exactly.

There’s a lot of stuff online about attacking any female led projects (a lot of it fuel by incel ideology as I mentioned earlier). Unfortunately, a lot of people want to make money off of some uninformed young people that they willingly spread lies and in some cases flat out unnecessary hatred.

The Color Purple is an unabashedly feminist work, it’s exactly the type of work that the anti-SJW crowd will have a problem with because of its progressive themes. We just saw what happened with Watchmen because it dared to show the horrors of the Black Wall Street massacre (a real life event) and suggested that Rorschach was a right wing nut (although that particularly outrage could be attributed to people making noise not even reading the book because Rorschach sent his journal to a KKK sympathizer). Suggesting the Color Purple isn’t a feminist work is like saying Schindler’s List isn’t about the Holocaust, it doesn’t make any sense.

All this being said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a female led superhero movie where the movie is about hating men or some such. People spread this nonsense about Captain Marvel and Star Trek Discovery but there was literally nothing like that in the stories. I still remember the lies people spread about empty Captain Marvel theatres until the movie opened up and was a colossal hit and the now the comic is even selling well. I’m not sure why there’s even any controversy about Birds of Prey. Perhaps people are getting upset about Joker possibly being blown up in the movie or the Smollett thing but that’s pretty ridiculous. The usual crowds are tying to tap into the “anti-SJW” that a lot of young people are tapping into these days because it’s a female led superhero movie.

All this being said, film makers should be allowed to make whatever they want to make. Like I said earlier, if they want to make their movies about the problem with the “patriarchy” or make their characters “non-binary” or some such, they should be allowed to do it. If people are so triggered by social political positions that have no direct implications on their lives, then they should avoid said work. Simple as.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-02-2020 at 12:50 AM.

I would really love to have a discussion about color purple but this is not the thread for it. I only brought up the movie as an example to show women can carry a movie if there is substance and they can do it without superficially hating men.

As for the SJWs, no it is not and it is getting very offensive to claim color purple, a movie based on the hardship of the black experience that is actually a historical fact with some well done fictional characters, it should not be used as a means to justify other female lead films/tv like captain marvel, Michael burnham and rey who are just plain awful badly written characters that SJW love to defend while ignoring good writing , zero character development, story inconsistency and the lore of the series.

Rey and Michael alone have destroyed the entire mythological lore of star trek and star wars and this is because of the SJW agenda that other movies and TV like Color Purple, Bring it On, Wonder Woman, Buffy and Alias have show not to be necessary.

Alice Walker wrote a pulitzer prize masterpiece with the color purple with relatable likeable female characters, neither the recent captain marvel, star wars or trek are masterpieces with their one dimensional shallow writing of their female lead because modern Hollywood thinks this is how to do strong female characters by turning them into super gods with no efforts, hard work or convincing story to back it up.

Holding people like Havey Wienstien or Bill Cosby responsible for their behaviour is not hating men or being SJW, Randomly attacking men and acting all of them are automatically guilty of some kind of assault, privilege or harassment is hating men and acting all SJW. there is a fine line between both and Hollywood is getting it twisted, now back to the topic of birds of prey that I do hope avoid another captain marvel situation.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 02-02-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I would really love to have a discussion about color purple but this is not the thread for it. I only brought up the movie as an example to show women can carry a movie if there is substance and they can do it without superficially hating men.

As for the SJW, no it is not and it is getting very offensive to claim color purple, a movie based on the hardship of the black experience that is actually a historical fact is an sjw film as a way to justif other female lead films/tv like captain marvel, Michael burnham and rey who are just plain awful badly written characters that SJW love to defend while ignoring good writing , zero character development, story inconsistency and the lore of the series.

Rey and Michael alone have destroyed the entire mythological lore of star trek and star wars and this is because of the SJW agenda that other movies and TV like Color Purple, Bring it On, Wonder Woman, Buffy and Alias have show not to be necessary.

Alice Walker wrote a masterpiece with he color purple with relatable likeable characters, neither the recent captain marvel, star wars or trek are masterpieces with their one dimensional shallow writing of their female lead because modern Hollywood thinks this is how to do strong female characters?

Holding people like Havey Wienstien or Bill Cosby responsible for their behaviour is not hating men or being SJW, Randomly attacking men and acting all of them are automatically guilty of some kind of assault or harassment is hating men and acting all SJW. there is a fine line between both and Hollywood is getting it twisted, now back to the topic of birds of prey.
    The Color Purple is a female lead film, which happened to tackle the Black experience - they're not issues which can't both be done simultaneously. I can definitely get the vibe had a film be made like that today would get hated on by people against "SJW" when they can't take a movie with a large Black cast about a fictional nation that made a billion dollars about a man in a cat suit.

Why do you like Alias, Bring It On or Buffy when they do all Birds of Prey and other female lead films have been doing?

Rey and Michael haven't destroyed anything, both Star wars and Trek are growing and are stronger for their presence.

edit: Wonder Woman's movie had backlash over this the it was in theatres, as well.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-02-2020 at 06:10 PM.

wrong post

Incredible Member

Hey guys let's get back on topic.

I just read that there may be screenings as early as Tuesday for DC Universe subscribers:

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/dc-uni...y-in-theaters/

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

I just read that there may be screenings as early as Tuesday for DC Universe subscribers:

I agree. I just read on twitter that Grace Randolph did not like the movie. hope this is one of those times she is wrong about a DC film.

I just checked with one of my local theaters here in Frankfurt, Germany and they have two "previews" on Wednesday. The German showing is at 8PM and the English showing is at 8:15PM and they are practically empty.

Usually, these previews, even ones at midnight, are almost completely sold out. I counted the amount of tickets sold at this time and based off the images I posted above that particular theater has sold 97 tickets for two showings so far.

It will be quite interesting to see if word of mouth after the embargo has been lifted will help this film's box office results. As of right now, as far as I can tell from my local theaters, the movie isn't garnering interest. I will try and keep an eye on it, just out of curiosity how many tickets they sell for opening night and on the first weekend after release.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 02-02-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

There’s a lot of stuff online about attacking any female led projects (a lot of it fuel by incel ideology as I mentioned earlier). Unfortunately, a lot of people want to make money off of some uninformed young people that they willingly spread lies and in some cases flat out unnecessary hatred.

The Color Purple is an unabashedly feminist work, it’s exactly the type of work that the anti-SJW crowd will have a problem with because of its progressive themes. We just saw what happened with Watchmen because it dared to show the horrors of the Black Wall Street massacre (a real life event) and suggested that Rorschach was a right wing nut (although that particularly outrage could be attributed to people making noise not even reading the book because Rorschach sent his journal to a KKK sympathizer). Suggesting the Color Purple isn’t a feminist work is like saying Schindler’s List isn’t about the Holocaust, it doesn’t make any sense.

All this being said, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a female led superhero movie where the movie is about hating men or some such. People spread this nonsense about Captain Marvel and Star Trek Discovery but there was literally nothing like that in the stories. I still remember the lies people spread about empty Captain Marvel theatres until the movie opened up and was a colossal hit and the now the comic is even selling well. I’m not sure why there’s even any controversy about Birds of Prey. Perhaps people are getting upset about Joker possibly being blown up in the movie or the Smollett thing but that’s pretty ridiculous. The usual crowds are tying to tap into the “anti-SJW” that a lot of young people are tapping into these days because it’s a female led superhero movie.

All this being said, film makers should be allowed to make whatever they want to make. Like I said earlier, if they want to make their movies about the problem with the “patriarchy” or make their characters “non-binary” or some such, they should be allowed to do it. If people are so triggered by social political positions that have no direct implications on their lives, then they should avoid said work. Simple as.
    The Joker getting blown up would be a weird complaint to have as there is no plan of a sequel to his film and Leto's Joker is out. It would just be a villain getting his comeuppance, nothing more. Unless it is revealed that Jurnee Smollett was helping her brother perpetrate a hoax, it is completely irrelevant.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I agree. I just read on twitter that Grace Randolph did not like the movie. hope this is one of those times she is wrong about a DC film.
    Not shocked. The movie isn't meant to be an Academy Award winner so some bad reviews are expected. Additionally, I get a feeling that a lot of upcoming CBM are going to get mediocre reviews because I think there's going to be a more aggressive push back from traditional Hollywood on them now. I think the result of the Marvel films success started it but I think with Joker being done in the non-traditional way and garnering so much critical acclaim and winning so many awards such as the Venice film festival Golden Lion and its been doing really well in awards season has solidified it. I think this is the second time that a CBM has made it to the Best Picture category and the first one to have a real shot. Sorry Black Panther was a politically correct move because of the prior year boycott of the awards for not be culturally or racially diverse and was more of a "shut up now" nomination unfortunately.

Additionally, even though I don't think Endgame was a solid film by any means, I've never seen such disrespect to a extremely high grossing film with a single nomination in a bs category. I think Endgame really felt the pushback first
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-02-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Joker getting blown up would be a weird complaint to have as there is no plan of a sequel to his film and Leto's Joker is out. It would just be a villain getting his comeuppance, nothing more. Unless it is revealed that Jurnee Smollett was helping her brother perpetrate a hoax, it is completely irrelevant.
    Exactly.

10 char.

Ultimate Member

Not shocked. The movie isn't meant to be an Academy Award winner so some bad reviews are expected. Additionally, I get a feeling that a lot of upcoming CBM are going to get mediocre reviews because I think there's going to be a more aggressive push back from traditional Hollywood on them now. I think the result of the Marvel films success started it but I think with Joker being done in the non-traditional way and garnering so much critical acclaim and winning so many awards such as the Venice film festival Golden Lion and its been doing really well in awards season has solidified it. I think this is the second time that a CBM has made it to the Best Picture category and the first one to have a real shot. Sorry Black Panther was a politically correct move because of the prior year boycott of the awards for not be culturally or racially diverse and was more of a "shut up now" nomination unfortunately.

Additionally, even though I don't think Endgame was a solid film by any means, I've never seen such disrespect to a extremely high grossing film with a single nomination in a bs category. I think Endgame really felt the pushback first
    Randolph is big DC fan.

Shes stated it several times in the past. Heck, she was one of the few strongly defending BvS.

That said, shes been sceptical about BoP from the beginning so I'm not surprised to hear her say she didn't like it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Randolph is big DC fan.

Shes stated it several times in the past. Heck, she was one of the few strongly defending BvS.

That said, shes been sceptical about BoP from the beginning so I'm not surprised to hear her say she didn't like it.
    I guess that's the otherside of the coin to DC revamp. Individuals who liked the earlier films like BvS will lose some aspects of what zack snyder provided. DC may not be completely conservative but they are going to steer away from what didn't work. Hate it or love BvS didn't work for the majority of audience members.

Funny thing is that more and more people I know who have seen BvS on tv actually like it.

BoP will do good I think with females, especially younger ones. I think it doing 200 million domestic isn't unreasonable. Be prepared for comic cons to have thousands of Harleys this year.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Grace has proven also to be a access media shill on many occasions, I think she is more of the jump on the bandwagon hype person, and we know which movies tends to get the most hype. John Campea and Chris Stuckmann are better ....more balanced than she can be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As someone who saw the movie and READ the book-that was straight up feminism 101. The major difference was it was women fighting back against men who WILLINGLY mistreated them. So yes you are correct about the accountability aspect.

Because of THAT alone-it would get DRILLED as a SJW movie. Because some folks don't want to see women fighting back to men-who they view are RIGHT in their behavior.

Name this movie. Where is this movie at? It does not exist. It never has.

Now we have had movies where women fight back towards men who did them wrong.

The crap this movie is getting (especially on Twitter & Youtube) are from guys looking to monetize HATE on youtube.
    It has nothing to do with plot.

I have seen guys post pics of movie theaters ticket ordering claiming it was Birds of Prey and how EMPTY the theater was.
    Make up FAKE stories for youtube hits.
    Encourage boycotts targeting Jurmee because of her brother.

The SAME mess I saw done to Cap Marvel, Black Panther, Ghostbusters & Star Wars.

I saw a guy make videos trashing Star Wars Last Jedi. He got exposed when someone called him out-he was begging for money to get a haircut and got asked how could he have seen Star Wars and now needs money for a hair cut. He never saw the film.
    He BASHED that film based on trailers. He made 10 of them. Even comparing the movie to Transformers 1986.

These are the guys attacking Birds of Prey. Normal folks won't even KNOW about them. We know because we are comic book fans.
    Why can't I favourite comments like that? So Right.