Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    1. They're fans of Harley Quinn and want to support her.
    2. It's a fun, action romp that doesn't take itself too seriously and is enjoyable.
    3. The characters, while not exact replicas of their comic counterparts are still entertaining.
    4. They like the themes as presented and how it's executed within the film.
    5. They don't care about any of the things you're complaining about.

There you go!
    1. How many of them are there?
    2. Sorry ppl don't agree with that.
    3. Sorry many comic fans don't agree with that.
    4. Sorry ppl don't agree with that.
    5. Yeah they don't care so this movie flopped.

You don't care about the target audience, then of course you fail.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Oops. I had an addendum to that, and missed to include it.

Of those four movies, three faced major backlashes from neofascists or far-right groups. Rotten Tomatoes had to rework how they handled pre-movie reviews and ratings over Black Panther, and Captain Marvel and Brie Larson faced orchestrated smear campaigns. The same was true for Birds of Prey, even before the film was released. The difference between BoP versus the two earlier Marvel films is that the Marvel films managed to gain enough of a market so they could run over the reactionaries. BoP failed at that.

So I disagree that "traditional audiences" have been open-minded. Some of them sure, but there is a large and influential tail that is anything but.
    I think the people who complained and tried to torpedo both those films are the vocal minority and don't represent the attitudes of the "general audience." But that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think the 'traditional audiences' have actually been pretty damn open minded when it comes to superhero movies, when you think about it.

Superhero movies offer a diverse type of protagonist, when you get down to it. An African Prince, an armored CEO trying to redeem himself, a God learning humility, an Amazon princess learning about an entirely new world, etc.

Most action movie protagonists are ex cops, or ex military, burned out, etc etc. We know their resume and backstory by heart most of the time.
    It doesn't matter about who the hero is, you need to find conflict and development in the hero along with other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    1. How many of them are there?
    2. Sorry ppl don't agree with that.
    3. Sorry many comic fans don't agree with that.
    4. Sorry ppl don't agree with that.
    5. Yeah they don't care so this movie flopped.

You don't care about the target audience, then of course you fail.
    1. I'm not sure but that has nothing to do with the original argument. Stop moving goal posts, please.
    2. You don't have to agree with it since we aren't talking about you, specifically.
    3. See above only substitute "you" for "they."
    4. See #2.
    5. That's a point about marketing and not in favor of your argument...

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I think the people who complained and tried to torpedo both those films are the vocal minority and don't represent the attitudes of the "general audience." But that's just my opinion.
    Are they a minority? Sure. But they sure can be an influential minority, especially since movie marketing is heavily dependant on word of mouth (why early fan engagement is so important to movie studios).

And given the state of the world today, there are far too many people who are willing to listen to the neofascists.

(Also, please don't feed the troll.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

So is it a FLOP?

I don't think it's right to call others fascists.

And I believe THIS had harmed the movie 10 times worse than those other ppl's "bad mouth".

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    So is it a FLOP?
    Timeline

Before the movie hit theater: It's going to hit, shut up you sexists.
    After the first week:It's just below expectation, sexists are to blame.
    When Sonic became a hit and left it behind: It's not a flop, ppl just miss this good movie...
    Now: It's all because the marketing and neofacists!

As a big DC and Canary fan, I've predicted this movie's flop long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Are they a minority? Sure. But they sure can be an influential minority, especially since movie marketing is heavily dependant on word of mouth (why early fan engagement is so important to movie studios).

And given the state of the world today, there are far too many people who are willing to listen to the neofascists.

(Also, please don't feed the troll.)
    Fair enough. I'm a bit more optimistic since a lot of their campaigns have been spectacular failures, so don't think they have as much influence you do. I do agree there's far too many of them, though. (Anything above 0 is too many.)

Timeline

Before the movie hit theater: It's going to hit, shut up you sexists.
    After the first week:It's just below expectation, sexists are to blame.
    When Sonic became a hit and left it behind: It's not a flop, ppl just miss this good movie...
    Now: It's all because the marketing and neofacists!

As a big DC and Canary fan, I've predicted this movie's flop long ago.
    Took my kids to see Sonic & WOW that was a very pleasant surprise. Carrey proves his value...again. So this is what happens when creators listen to their fans, huh? Crazy.

Took my kids to see Sonic & WOW that was a very pleasant surprise. Carrey proves his value...again. So this is what happens when creators listen to their fans, huh? Crazy.
    True, I was a fan of Sonic animated show(the comedic adventure) and was quite happy when the company listened to the fans to change the appearance. I don't think the old model was that awful but the new one is much much better.

Too bad I could not see the movie in theater, but already preordered it on Amazon, gonna see it as many times as I want when it's up.

To bring this back to something more topical, I've read a bit of discussion about how Roman Sionis and Victor Zsasz were coded as gay, and how they (directors and actors) are dodging questions if they (Roman and Zsasz) are intended as a gay couple or not.

Now, there definitely is a homoerotic element to Roman and Zsasz, but I also think that the criticism against WB and the actors to confirm them being gay is misplaced—and I also note that the film has received some criticism for the queer-coding of Roman and Zsasz that they did have. (A case of damned if you do; damned if you don't, from different groups.)

But I like the concept of "The Death of the Author", that the text is what it is and the reader is free to do their own interpretation. In the two I can see a gay couple, but I can also see the "no homo" variety of patriarchy, where women are below notice, and so the only real personal connection can be between two men. I'm also reminded of the Swedish duo Samir & Viktor

samirviktor.jpg

So to me, I actually liked the way the movie handled their queer various queer relationships. And given that the bulk of the movie took place over a single day, I like that they didn't force a romance into it as well. The film's plot had more than enough on its plate already.
    Last edited by kjn; 03-09-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: clarity
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Captain Marvel was a hit simply because it was riding on the Avengers.
    This argument is old and easily debunked.

You know what also came out between Infinity War and Endgame? Ant Man 2. You know what had a bigger impact on Endgame? Ant Man 2. You know what character had a built in audience due to that character already having been in two other MCU movies before Infinity War, and was all over the Endgame Trailer? Ant Man.

Ant Man 2 Box Office: $623 Million
    Captain Marvel Box Office: $1 Billion

But, yeah, Captain Marvel apparently only did good because of Avengers.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

So is it a FLOP?
    It's definitely not a hit, but it's only 16M short of the so called "2.5 multiplier".

It's had the advantage of there not being a lot of big movies the past few weeks, so it's still been in a decent amount of theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    This argument is old and easily debunked.

You know what also came out between Infinity War and Endgame? Ant Man 2. You know what had a bigger impact on Endgame? Ant Man 2. You know what had a built in audience due to the character already having been in two other MCU movies before Infinity War, and was all over the Endgame Trailer? Ant Man.

Ant Man 2 Box Office: $623 Million
    Captain Marvel Box Office: $1 Billion

But, yeah, Captain Marvel apparently only did good because of Avengers.
    Wrong.

Endgame came after Ant Man 2, ppl didn't even know Ant Man is going to play a big role in Endgame at all when watching Infinity War. Tell me how is ppl going to travel back to time to know that Antman had a bigger impact after finished Infinity War?

Captain Marvel is different, the logo is shown in the end of Infinity War as Nick Fury's last resort. Ppl want to see who that is and how is she going to change the tide. The news also showed Captain Marvel in the Endgame scenes, showing she was going to have a big impact. These all caused the movie to become a hit.

Nice try.