Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It's definitely not a hit, but it's only 16M short of the so called "2.5 multiplier".

It's had the advantage of there not being a lot of big movies the past few weeks, so it's still been in a decent amount of theaters.
    The reshoot took the budget to around 100m, so it needs around 250m to break even.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Wrong.

Endgame came after Ant Man 2, ppl didn't even know Ant Man is going to play a big role in Endgame at all when watching Infinity War. Tell me how is ppl going to travel back to time to know that Antman had a bigger impact after finished Infinity War?

Captain Marvel is different, the logo is shown in the end of Infinity War as Nick Fury's last resort. Ppl want to see who that is and how is she going to change the tide. The news also showed Captain Marvel in the Endgame scenes, showing she was going to have a big impact. These all caused the movie to become a hit.

Nice try.
    Did you not even read my comment? Ant Man 2 came between Infinity War and Endgame. The Endgame trailer had Ant Man all over it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

The reshoot took the budget to around 100m, so it needs around 250m to break even.
    They also supposedly got a ton of tax credits and WB had cold feet about the film and drastically cut down the marketing budget for this as well. (You can tell based on where they were marketing to) So who knows what it actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Did you not even read my comment? Ant Man 2 came between Infinity War and Endgame. The Endgame trailer had Ant Man all over it.
    Ant Man2 was released on July, and Endgame's first trailer was way later than that, I remember it was December. There is no way to time travel back in real world.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    They also supposedly got a ton of tax credits and WB had cold feet about the film and drastically cut down the marketing budget for this as well. (You can tell based on where they were marketing to) So who knows what it actually was.
    We don't know the details, but it's just likely to be a flop that's all. If we want to find excuse like that, a lot of the box office flop could be argued that way.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 03-09-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Oops. I had an addendum to that, and missed to include it.

Of those four movies, three faced major backlashes from neofascists or far-right groups. Rotten Tomatoes had to rework how they handled pre-movie reviews and ratings over Black Panther, and Captain Marvel and Brie Larson faced orchestrated smear campaigns. The same was true for Birds of Prey, even before the film was released. The difference between BoP versus the two earlier Marvel films is that the Marvel films managed to gain enough of a market so they could run over the reactionaries. BoP failed at that.

So I disagree that "traditional audiences" have been open-minded. Some of them sure, but there is a large and influential tail that is anything but.
    First, way to dismiss Wonder Woman's movie.

Second, of all those movies, achieve commercial and critacal success. That of tens of millions of people who loved it, that several thousand @$$holes are out there isn't that surprising.

It doesn't matter about who the hero is, you need to find conflict and development in the hero along with other characters.
    No, it very much matters who the hero or heroine is. Movie goers want something different in terms of protagonists, that's what super hero movies offer and IMO BoP really didn't.

Shaft, Machete and John McClaine are not the same character, but they aren't that different. The same can't be said of every member of the Avengers, and even when characters have the same powers (Cap and Panther), their characters are tw very different archtypes.

People still feeding the troll? If someone keeps saying a film failed because most of the cast wasn't pretty enough and the film had a woke agenda, they're not going to be worth debating on this film.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, it very much matters who the hero or heroine is. Movie goers want something different in terms of protagonists, that's what super hero movies offer and IMO BoP really didn't.

Shaft, Machete and John McClaine are not the same character, but they aren't that different. The same can't be said of every member of the Avengers, and even when characters have the same powers (Cap and Panther), their characters are tw very different archtypes.
    My point is that regardless who the hero is, you need to make good development and conflict in the character. Or they are not going to be much different or draw the audience.

Astonishing Member

Why should ppl go watch this movie?

Comic fans? Nah because it's nowhere close to BoP in the comic. The cast, the absence of Barbra are all meh. They aren't even the main focus but instead it's a Harley Quinn movie.
    I think this should prove that Robbie's HQ is not a box office draw. Yes the R rating was a stupid move by the studios but a well-received movie by critics and fans should have been more than enough to make this movie a success. Yes her merch sells but it seems HQ being the main attraction can't bring in the money at the movies and WB would be wise to rethink their plans to have her headline more movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I think this should prove that Robbie's HQ is not a box office draw. Yes the R rating was a stupid move by the studios but a well-received movie by critics and fans should have been more than enough to make this movie a success. Yes her merch sells but it seems HQ being the main attraction can't bring in the money at the movies and WB would be wise to rethink their plans to have her headline more movies.
    More likely it's a bad idea to put HQ with BoP and all those Woke agenda. It's like put Joker with the Justice League.

If you truly want to do a Harley Solo. Either do a good origin like the Joker movie or put her with Gotham villains like the animated series. They are doing it with SS2 as well.

BoP could be the main attraction for sure if they were done right, with Harley as a supporting character to add some drama.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    First, way to dismiss Wonder Woman's movie.

Second, of all those movies, achieve commercial and critacal success. That of tens of millions of people who loved it, that several thousand @$$holes are out there isn't that surprising.
    Dismiss? I only noted that it (Wonder Woman) didn't face any organised smear campaigns (well, not much more than other superhero movies face).

You are correct in that Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel had commercial and critical success. But Birds of Prey also had critical success—among the people who have actually seen it, it's generally well-received. But I also think that Marvel's inherent good reputation, and a marketing campaign that leaned back against the altrighters and neofascists, helped Black Panther and Captain Marvel to bully through the smear campaigns to commercial success. Birds of Prey failed at that.

Frankly, I have trouble to understanding what your point in (granted, my own point was split over two different posts).
    Last edited by kjn; 03-10-2020 at 12:52 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Wrong.

Endgame came after Ant Man 2, ppl didn't even know Ant Man is going to play a big role in Endgame at all when watching Infinity War. Tell me how is ppl going to travel back to time to know that Antman had a bigger impact after finished Infinity War?

Captain Marvel is different, the logo is shown in the end of Infinity War as Nick Fury's last resort. Ppl want to see who that is and how is she going to change the tide. The news also showed Captain Marvel in the Endgame scenes, showing she was going to have a big impact. These all caused the movie to become a hit.

Nice try.
    Sure and the rest had Nothing to do with it. So by your "logic" they could have shown Halle Berry as Catwoman at the end of Infinity War and it would have made a Billion Dollars.

Nice try as you are fond to say

Ultimate Member

The whole "woke" thing is pretty off base at this point. It's far more in use among the "new right" then those that originated it.

It's a word that was popularized in the black community about 5-6 years ago which they don't even use again. It's white guys constantly complaining on YouTube and Donald Trump's re-election campaign that still use it (bizarrely enough).

The way its being almost entirely out of its original context is a bit silly at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The whole "woke" thing is pretty off base at this point. It's far more in use among the "new right" then those that originated it.

It's a word that was popularized in the black community about 5-6 years ago which they don't even use again. It's white guys constantly complaining on YouTube and Donald Trump's re-election campaign that still use it (bizarrely enough).

The way its being almost entirely out of its original context is a bit silly at this point.
    Kind of like how anyone who uses the term "SJW" is about five minutes out from revealing themself as a concern troll harbouring alarmingly repellent views on race or gender, far from the reasonable centrist they are posing as.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Dismiss? I only noted that it (Wonder Woman) didn't face any organised smear campaigns (well, not much more than other superhero movies face).

You are correct in that Wonder Woman, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel had commercial and critical success. But Birds of Prey also had critical success—among the people who have actually seen it, it's generally well-received. But I also think that Marvel's inherent good reputation, and a marketing campaign that leaned back against the altrighters and neofascists, helped Black Panther and Captain Marvel to bully through the smear campaigns to commercial success. Birds of Prey failed at that.

Frankly, I have trouble to understanding what your point in (granted, my own point was split over two different posts).
    My point is that so called 'traditional audiences' have clearly shown a willingness to be open minded when it comes to the protagonists of their movies, regardless of the hates/@$$holes out there. They enjoy new material and new forms of protagonists, since action movies usually have to pigeon hole their characters for the sake of internal logic

BoP brought nothing new or original to the game. I guess relying on the most popular character of a critically panned movie isn't a recipe for success. Who knew?