Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Black Panther didn't go "White People was bad", but the theme of black people being oppressed by white people was a *major* theme of the movie. It was all about how you had this rich, powerful African nation who was doing nothing while it's people were being enslaved and discriminated against. It handled it very well though and I think it's themes was one reason why it got the Oscar Nomination.
    Black Panther is the definition of a "woke" film, too. People who claim it isn't don't really know what the word means nor saw the reactions to it from black people.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Aquaman didn't have decent action, because it had amazing action. Aquaman was an EPIC action-fantasy movie. I liked BoP, but compared to Aquaman it feels so small.

James Wan is kind of like a version of Michael Bay (The Rock still really stands up today) who didn’t disappear entirely up his own arse. I tend to find his films a bit hollow and flashy though, though not to the extent of JJ Abrams. Good in the cinema, but not keepers.

Wonder Woman didn't have a woke agenda?

I think it did. Its agenda was that females don't need men to be successful or badass. They don't have to depend on a man to do what they want. They are just as smart or more.

Personally, and as a woman, this movie (BoP) was fine, but it didn't wow me. I don't like Harley as a character much. She's funny, but she's also annoying. She confuses me a lot; DC wants me to root for a criminal, but I really can't, because she's not willing to really change and be a better person for good. She's very toxic. I guess some love that kind of character, but I don't.
    What are you talking about? Wonder Woman had to rely on those male companions to finish the task.

Steve also used his death to push for her development.

It showed us both men and women can be good or evil. It didn't demonize any groups.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Wonder Woman was waaaay more "WOKE" than BOP. There were several scenes with her ignoring male patriarchy and then doing their own thing.

Black Panther didn't go "White People was bad", but the theme of black people being oppressed by white people was a *major* theme of the movie. It was all about how you had this rich, powerful African nation who was doing nothing while it's people were being enslaved and discriminated against. It handled it very well though and I think it's themes was one reason why it got the Oscar Nomination.
    Anti patriarchy is not WOKE at all. Both men and women are humans first, not try to make "men bad women good" thing. Steve also use his death to show WW that humanity has good side.

Black people being oppressed by white yes, but the whole theme is about oppression itself is NOT right regardless of which side, which is why they are against MBJ's plan to send weapons to all over the world. It also showed that black ppl have bad guys working with the worst white criminals as well. There are good white dudes, too since this is MCU.

The whole conflict was to let Wakanda help others just like the rest of the rich powerful nations help their own. Not to oppress other ppl. WOKE movies are different, they just demonize one group and make the other all good/smart/powerful, plus silly conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    WOKE movies are different, they just demonize one group and make the other all good/smart/powerful, plus silly conflict.
    That's not the definition of "woke," actually.

of course it's a woke and very feminist agenda.

Sure, Steve was very helpful. At least men were not all a-holes in this movie like in BoP.
    Nobody is against feminism(non extreme one), did you see anyone go against movies like Terminator 2, where Sarah Connor was such a badass? Or against classic novels like Little Women?

WOKE is different, it's just sexism switching sides. They simply demonize the opposite gender/ethnic group and make their characters bland, making unnecessary race/LGBT changes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wonder Woman would have been far less commercially successful if it hadn't managed to reach women so well from its second week onwards. Black Panther likewise overperformed very strongly amongst African-Americans.

And BoP brought nothing new or original? It was far more original than any of the superhero movies that I've seen, between the (unreliable) narrative voiceover, the way the plot was condensed in time, the all-female cast, the way it was shown out-of-order, and the way it was ready to show its characters at their worst. Was it a perfect movie? No. But it was far more interesting to watch than nearly every other superhero movie I've seen to date.
    You need to see more movies, then

"the way it was shown out-of-order" Deadpool says hi, and that he did it first, on a smaller budget .

"way it was ready to show its characters at their worst" 50% of comedy movies say hi. To one degree or another, Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy say hi as well.

"(unreliable) narrative voiceover" Deadpool sorta says hi

"the all-female cast" This, I'll grant you

The problem with BoP is that it wanted to tread the line between action movie and super hero movie. As a result, their tropes became cliche (Kid Mcguffin, burned out cops) that, again, we have seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Anti patriarchy is not WOKE at all. Both men and women are humans first, not try to make "men bad women good" thing. Steve also use his death to show WW that humanity has good side.
    Anti-patriarchy has nothing to do with “men bad, women good”. Like. at all.

The whole conflict was to let Wakanda help others just like the rest of the rich powerful nations help their own. Not to oppress other ppl. WOKE movies are different, they just demonize one group and make the other all good/smart/powerful, plus silly conflict.
    So, basically your definition of “woke” is Birth Of A Nation?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

"the all-female cast" This, I'll grant you

The problem with BoP is that it wanted to tread the line between action movie and super hero movie. As a result, their tropes became cliche (Kid Mcguffin, burned out cops) that, again, we have seen before.
    It could have been the first all female heroine group had they followed the source material, instead of a Harley+some side kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Black Panther is the definition of a "woke" film, too. People who claim it isn't don't really know what the word means nor saw the reactions to it from black people.
    Definition... I don't feel you know what 'woke' or the word definition might mean. I CLAIM it isn't what you say it is and I'm well aware of what having a 'woke' attitude entails going on 20 years so now what.

WTF does reactions from black people have to do with- your convenience in attributing a label on something for ease of your own communication? Black people ENJOYED seeing themselves on screen in such a grand manner. The **** is 'woke' bout that?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Anti-patriarchy has nothing to do with “men bad, women good”. Like. at all.
    Yes, that's my point. Ppl are not against women being strong/independent at all. It's not WOKE as well.

So, basically your definition of “woke” is Birth Of A Nation?
    Pretty much. Humans are no different, regardless of gender, race or sexuality. Every group has good and bad ppl, trying to make one group all good and the other all evil is shallow and wrong. White ppl enslave black ppl is wrong, but it's not going to make it less evil if you let black ppl sit on top to enslave others.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Definition... I don't feel you know what 'woke' or the word definition might mean. I CLAIM it isn't what you say it is and I'm well aware of what having a 'woke' attitude entails going on 20 years so now what.

WTF does reactions from black people have to do with- your convenience in attributing a label on something for ease of your own communication? Black people ENJOYED seeing themselves on screen in such a grand manner. The **** is 'woke' bout that?
    20 years? Well being how I'm 43, I think I have you a bit beat there.

As for my definition, I'll let you see how Webster's defines it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Lastly, yes we were happy to see ourselves onscreen. We were also very happy to see a film that spoke to racial/social issues of black people (specifically African-Americans," which perfectly fits the above definition of "woke.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    James Wan is kind of like a version of Michael Bay (The Rock still really stands up today) who didn’t disappear entirely up his own arse. I tend to find his films a bit hollow and flashy though, though not to the extent of JJ Abrams. Good in the cinema, but not keepers.
    Yes, James Wan's movies are very flashy, but I've only seen 2 since I'm not into horror for the most part. I found Aquaman very flashy and bombastic, but it also had a lot of heart and important messages. I never saw a Michale Bay Transformer movie that made me feel something deep. I found them utterly shallow. Not so with Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    20 years? Well being how I'm 43, I think I have you a bit beat there.

As for my definition, I'll let you see how Webster's defines it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Lastly, yes we were happy to see ourselves onscreen. We were also very happy to see a film that spoke to racial/social issues of black people (specifically African-Americans," which perfectly fits the above definition of "woke.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, thanks.
    thank you very much.

Ultimate Member

I don't care to step into the middle of this whole 'woke' discussion, but I do have to say I think that Harley makes for a poor feminist heroine.

The basics of her character is being seduced and lured into a life of crime by someone she knew to be a sociopath, and was supposed to be under her care. She can't play the victim card too well, as she was a doctor at the Asylum. If anything, as a trained medical professional, she's the one who in any other context would be seen as abusing her power by starting a romantic relationship with her patient, and frankly, it's just as creepy regardless of gender.

And her relationship with Joker doesn't mitigate her own crimes, because 'being in love' is no more valid an excuse than 'just following orders'. Regardless of whether or not she killed Robin in this canon, she's still a crappy, thoughtless person just like her boyfriend.

She's shallow, thoughtless and her origin is pretty creepy, when ya get down to it

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I don't care to step into the middle of this whole 'woke' discussion, but I do have to say I think that Harley makes for a poor feminist heroine.

The basics of her character is being seduced and lured into a life of crime by someone she knew to be a sociopath, and was supposed to be under her care. She can't play the victim card too well, as she was a doctor at the Asylum. If anything, as a trained medical professional, she's the one who in any other context would be seen as abusing her power by starting a romantic relationship with her patient, and frankly, it's just as creepy regardless of gender.

And her relationship with Joker doesn't mitigate her own crimes, because 'being in love' is no more valid an excuse than 'just following orders'. Regardless of whether or not she killed Robin in this canon, she's still a crappy, thoughtless person just like her boyfriend.

She's shallow, thoughtless and her origin is pretty creepy, when ya get down to it
    Exactly!

Barbara Gordon is 100000 times better than her as a strong female role model. Black Canary and Huntress as well.

if you want to make something nice about feminism using Harley, focusing her life as Harleen because that's a much more rational and sympathetic part of her character.