Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What if none of that is in there? We keep hearing these claims but NEVER shown it.

It tends to be rage of people not acting the way "I have been stereotyped to believe due to previous materials".

A team of all females is no more an agenda than an all straight white male team.

It's funny ONE has to be justified and the other doesn't.
    There's a clear agenda in action when treating women characters the same as male characters.

That dastardly agenda of basic equality.

It's a scourge, I tells ya.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What if none of that is in there? We keep hearing these claims but NEVER shown it.

It tends to be rage of people not acting the way "I have been stereotyped to believe due to previous materials".

A team of all females is no more an agenda than an all straight white male team.

It's funny ONE has to be justified and the other doesn't.
    Hey, chiming in to clarify.... I enjoyed the movie a lot. I enjoy comic book movies as escapism, I enjoy arthouse for themes and thinking

Cathy Yan Fought to Keep Birds of Prey's Most Upsetting Scene

https://io9.gizmodo.com/cathy-yan-fo...ing-1842692401

Warning for spoilers and discussion of sexual assasult.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Comic book movies should never strife to be better than exploitation flicks. Leave feminist culture to arthouse. Yes, I really believe that. Its just comic books from nerds for nerds. Male or female. Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere.
    Yeah because as we know Captain America, Superman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man and a whole bunch of other superheroes have never been about pushing agendas and philosophies.

BANNED

Comic book movies should never strife to be better than exploitation flicks. Leave feminist culture to arthouse. Yes, I really believe that. Its just comic books from nerds for nerds. Male or female. Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere.
    "Its just comic books from nerds for nerds" has not been true for as far back as 1940 with Captain America 1. Or the decade old "Agenda" in X-Men Comics.

So "Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere" would be difficult to do. Would require to rewrite an awful lot of Comics.

And why do we Always get stuff written like that Focusing on "Feminist culture"?

BANNED

Hey, chiming in to clarify.... I enjoyed the movie a lot. I enjoy comic book movies as escapism, I enjoy arthouse for themes and thinking
    There can be both in a movie.

There is no conflict between the two. Great entertainment can provide both escapism and themes. In fact, some of the most classic art of all times was created by the fusion of popular entertainment and "high art" thematic content.

Now, it's hard to do both well at the same time. But that's the artistic challenge.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

You can still enjoy the Matrix as escapism while knowing it’s an allegory for transgenderism.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    You can still enjoy the Matrix as escapism while knowing it’s an allegory for transgenderism.
    Whoa. I never got that, but in hindsight it was obvious!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    "Its just comic books from nerds for nerds" has not been true for as far back as 1940 with Captain America 1. Or the decade old "Agenda" in X-Men Comics.

So "Go and take your agendas and philosophies elsewhere" would be difficult to do. Would require to rewrite an awful lot of Comics.

And why do we Always get stuff written like that Focusing on "Feminist culture"?
    Agreed about Cap, though I'd argue that now, punching Hitler in the face is as non political as you can get

really? How?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    There is no conflict between the two. Great entertainment can provide both escapism and themes. In fact, some of the most classic art of all times was created by the fusion of popular entertainment and "high art" thematic content.

Now, it's hard to do both well at the same time. But that's the artistic challenge.
    Aw come on, Dark Knight, Winter Soldier and MM Fury Road are great action movies... they're not heavy

Ultimate Member

Aw come on, Dark Knight, Winter Soldier and MM Fury Road are great action movies... they're not heavy

Dark Knight and Winter Soldier funny enough both had similar themes being "when it comes to security, how much are people willing to give away their freedoms and how far is too far".

Mad Max Fury Road was a pretty feminist movie though. The director just did an excellent job of letting the movie flow without ever stopping to "preach" its themes, so its not something that jumps out at you. That's something that some movies fail at (like the recent Black Christmas reboot).

Can't say much about Dark Knight or Winter Soldier, but Mad Max: Fury Road is a great action piece. It is also thoroughly infused by feminist themes and theory, arguably on the same level as BoP.

Of course it's possible to make escapist entertainment without thinking too much about themes (though I'd argue that in a lot of cases like that you end up with a sort of bland conservatism that simply isn't noticable because we live in it all the time). But it's eminently possible to make great escapist entertainment that has plenty of themes or ideology built in.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Can't say much about Dark Knight or Winter Soldier, but Mad Max: Fury Road is a great action piece. It is also thoroughly infused by feminist themes and theory, arguably on the same level as BoP.

Of course it's possible to make escapist entertainment without thinking too much about themes (though I'd argue that in a lot of cases like that you end up with a sort of bland conservatism that simply isn't noticable because we live in it all the time). But it's eminently possible to make great escapist entertainment that has plenty of themes or ideology built in.
    The superhero genre is miserable today for becoming escapist entertainment without thinking too much about themes. I cannot say if this is what led to the downfall of birds of prey but the film is no Joker. You don't have to love Joker but it is not meant to be escapist entertainment. Birds of prey was meant to be. DC is afraid of taking itself too seriously when it concerns the DCEU.