Page 7 of 64 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Yes, there’s some female empowerment themes, but it goes about it in a less hamfisted way than, say, Captain Marvel did.

Overall it was a fun time at the movies and another step in the right direction for DC. I hope to see more HQ-centric movies in the future (maybe one with Poison Ivy and Catwoman in the future).
    Yeah, it's all about female empowerment.

A white girl's who's entire character is defined by her relationship with her Ex-boyfriend leads a bunch of minority characters against two homosexual villains who are over the top evil. And of course, the one who should be the most bad ass of all, is her wimpy sidekick.

Girl power!

Went to midnight screenings. The movie wasn't very good. Its slightly above Captain Marvel, it pales to Wonder Woman.

I saw it and thought it was okay. Margot Robbie carried the whole thing, she was great. The others were fine but Huntress felt tacked on. The story was a bit by-the-numbers. The humor was good, got a kick out of spoilers:
    the running gag about how many people wanted Harely dead
    end of spoilers. I'm surprised everyone is all noisy about Black Mask being different, he seemed exactly like he was when Judd Winnick wrote him.

I mean it was better than Suicide Squad but the animated Harley show blows this away big time.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It was better than expected. I went into expecting to hate the movie but I ended up enjoying myself. I absolutely hate what it did to Cass but I enjoyed the other characters.

Incredible Member

Saw it last night and I liked it. It does set up other films and I will say I also liked black mask as well. I really like it when films give a good amount of screen time to the villains, I think it makes the story more impactful.

I agree huntress just seemed there but maybe she'll be treated better in future films. As for Cass I think they are showing us what she was like before batgirl and the real version will appear in later films.

As others have stated Harley carries the film and I think they did a great job with her. To me her personality in the film is very similar to the one in the show. This movie felt like the animated show but without Bane in it for more comedy.

Surprisingly, the action scenes are the highlight of the film. This is a true action packed cbm. Most others have depended on tons of cgi.

Agree 1000% with other posters that girl power theme was in there but didn't feel forced like in Captain Marvel or Endgame.

Overall great movie. Seeing it with a friend again tonight. If you don't like Harley Quinn as a character then you shouldn't see it because you won't enjoy it and will just bash it.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    Saw it last night and I liked it. It does set up other films and I will say I also liked black mask as well. I really like it when films give a good amount of screen time to the villains, I think it makes the story more impactful.

I agree huntress just seemed there but maybe she'll be treated better in future films. As for Cass I think they are showing us what she was like before batgirl and the real version will appear in later films.

As others have stated Harley carries the film and I think they did a great job with her. To me her personality in the film is very similar to the one in the show. This movie felt like the animated show but without Bane in it for more comedy.

Surprisingly, the action scenes are the highlight of the film. This is a true action packed cbm. Most others have depended on tons of cgi.

Agree 1000% with other posters that girl power theme was in there but didn't feel forced like in Captain Marvel or Endgame.

Overall great movie. Seeing it with a friend again tonight. If you don't like Harley Quinn as a character then you shouldn't see it because you won't enjoy it and will just bash it.
    I don't mind the movie but there is no way this Cass becomes the one in the comics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't mind the movie but there is no way this Cass becomes the one in the comics.
    It's hard to say because Warner bros has been going the more adult route so they can compete with Disney without competing head on (ie exploring directions Disney hasn't gone) and they like to also have shock value with their films, so switching Cass personality is something I could see happening. Cass would be a good story to tell but it's dependent if Barbara is the one they want in the role first.

I saw the movie and liked it
    Tarentino aesthetic throughout this movie and Harley as a narrator was cool
    The movies main plot point throughout seems to be that men are evil jerks no matter whether they are good or bad

Black Canary was cool although as her origin story she was a lot less heroic then I would have liked
    Huntress was cool and badass not given enough screentime imo but every scene she had was cool
    Renee Montoya was given a lot of screentime she runs right under Harley
    Cass was just okay she could be anything in the future and she is set up for sequels but this movie has her as the morality pet.

Black Mask was how I wish they did the Joker in suicide squad absolutely sick crazy and evil. Nice performance from ewan McGregor

If there are sequels I'd prefer they just do them outside Gotham. Batman was missed in this movie

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I saw the movie and liked it
    Tarentino aesthetic throughout this movie and Harley as a narrator was cool
    The movies main plot point throughout seems to be that men are evil jerks no matter whether they are good or bad

Black Canary was cool although as her origin story she was a lot less heroic then I would have liked
    Huntress was cool and badass not given enough screentime imo but every scene she had was cool
    Renee Montoya was given a lot of screentime she runs right under Harley
    Cass was just okay she could be anything in the future and she is set up for sequels but this movie has her as the morality pet.

Black Mask was how I wish they did the Joker in suicide squad absolutely sick crazy and evil. Nice performance from ewan McGregor

If there are sequels I'd prefer they just do them outside Gotham. Batman was missed in this movie
    Black Mask was good and Ewan McGregor was a great pick for the role. Most DC villains have so much depth to them that it makes you want to see them as much as the heroes. I feel like I could watch Black Mask solo film and be thoroughly entertained.

I think Suicide Squad will be outside of Gotham and I think that's Harleys next appearance. BoP should still be in Gotham though.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-07-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Incredible Member

Forgot to mention the musical score in an earlier post. The music was great and really fit the tone of the film. Joker and BoP both nailed the score!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    It's hard to say because Warner bros has been going the more adult route so they can compete with Disney without competing head on (ie exploring directions Disney hasn't gone) and they like to also have shock value with their films, so switching Cass personality is something I could see happening. Cass would be a good story to tell but it's dependent if Barbara is the one they want in the role first.
    Honestly, it's because they're supposedly trying to be more "adult" (they did make Aquaman and Shazam remember and the darkest they've gone is BvS and Joker) is why I'm surprised they didn't use a more accurate version of Cass. A child who is selectively mute because of her abusive childhood wouldn't have been out of place in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It was better than expected. I went into expecting to hate the movie but I ended up enjoying myself. I absolutely hate what it did to Cass but I enjoyed the other characters.
    Criticism for how they depicted Cass seems to be the one consistent criticism across all the praise the movie is getting.

There is praise for the young actress' performance, but she's not really playing Cassandra Cain by any stretch of the imagination.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Thanks for posting these spoilers. Cassandra Cain is my favorite Heroine and was a huge fan of Harley in the animated series. After watching the previews, pretty confident I wasn't going to see it but now I'm definitely skipping this one.

Cassandra was the most disappointing. The owner at the comic book store told me about her character and recommended I read issue #25 where she fought Lady Shiva in a death match. Reading her skills, her flaws, her character. I was immediately drawn to her. Still hoping one day she returns to her glory but after reading this mess of a movie I think my wait is about to get much longer

Harley Quinn. I always liked reading her as the crazy ex girlfriend where even the Joker was scared and he needed space. Every guy can tell you about a girl they encountered in the past like Harley. Hell, most ladies can tell me they went "Harley Quinn' on somebody. More 'female empowerment?' . Come on! We have more than enough of that with Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Most people like Harley because she has problems and is far from perfect. Its part of her charm. It feels like nobody wants to take a risk with a female character anymore.

Last Harley I liked from the Media was from the Batman vs TMNT Movie.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-07-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Thanks for posting these spoilers. Cassandra Cain is my favorite Heroine and was a huge fan of Harley in the animated series. After watching the previews, pretty confident I wasn't going to see it but now I'm definitely skipping this one.

Cassandra was the most disappointing. The owner at the comic book store told me about her character and recommended I read issue #25 where she fought Lady Shiva in a death match. Reading her skills, her flaws, her character. I was immediately drawn to her. Still hoping one day she returns to her glory but after reading this mess of a movie I think my wait is about to get much longer

Harley Quinn. I always liked reading her as the crazy ex girlfriend where even the Joker was scared and he needed space. Every guy can tell you about a girl they encountered in the past like Harley. Hell, most ladies can tell me they went "Harley Quinn' on somebody. More 'female empowerment?' . Come on! We have more than enough of that with Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Most people like Harley because she has problems and is far from perfect. Its part of her charm. It feels like nobody wants to take a risk with a female character anymore.

The female empowerment isn't bad in the film unlike the others you mentioned, outside of WW, it's not forced which is what alot of people can appreciate. If you don't like the depiction of Cass, I understand but the film is more than just about her. If you like action and fight scenes this would also be a good reason to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

Agree totally on Cass but the movie left it open enough for them to do anything with her character if they continue to use her
    Harley isn't even really that empowering in this movie. She makes a whole bunch of bad choices and is mostly out to save her own skin in this movie not be a "strong, empowered, role model or whatever
    I mean if anything this movies message is more anti male vs female positive if I was to draw any conclusions but I guess that's the same thing to some people on the internet