View Poll Results: Should Jean have stayed dead after the DPS?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 34.18%
  • No

52 65.82%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I think the retcon was really bad, it messed up everything. She coming back wasn't the problem.

Jean and Cyclops wouldn't marry, maybe Maddie and Cyclops would divorce but Inferno wouldn't happen that way.Jean and Scott wouldn't raise Cable, maybe Cable would never be Scott's son.
    There is a lot of possibilities
    agreed. I believe I read somewhere Claremont wanted her to stay dead. as much as I love Claremont I didn't agree with him there. she have returned but that coccon thing was just not the way to go.

and those are all good points!!! I forgot about maddie maybe they would have still stayed married and she wouldn't have become the goblin queen.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    agreed. I believe I read somewhere Claremont wanted her to stay dead. as much as I love Claremont I didn't agree with him there. she have returned but that coccon thing was just not the way to go.

and those are all good points!!! I forgot about maddie maybe they would have still stayed married and she wouldn't have become the goblin queen.
    It was Shooter messing up, he said that Jean could never return and changed of idea.. There was lots of ideas like Maddie being Jean without memories and he picked up the one that screw up Claremont stories.
    He never got over that LOL but I can understand him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    for a moment i thought jean was a dps member in an mmo raid that cant come back after dying
    white mage jean keeping the whole squad healed up but then she dark phoenixes into a black mage who keeps standing in aoe

Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    white mage jean keeping the whole squad healed up but then she dark phoenixes into a black mage who keeps standing in aoe
    Jean doesn't have Between the Lines on her hotbar.

I can only speak for myself, but to me not having Jean alive is like not having a Steve Rogers alive. I love Jean. I loved her as Phoenix in name only. But like her namesake, I believe that resurrection should be part of her mutation thus granting her immortality. She didn’t have to die during the Morrison run. She could have gotten a divorce and temporarily move on from X-men so Cyclops could be with Emma. There could have been a place for her in the Marvel universe with the Avengers or in space had Marvel the vision for it.

I’m glad she’s back. I love her so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Depends on which retcon we're on.
    With and without retcons how many times she died?
    Last edited by Lapsus; 01-30-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Yes, the woman name PHOENIX should have stayed dead...however Captain America, Bucky, Cable, Thor, Professor Xavier, Iron-man, Hulk, Sentry, Wolverine, Cyclops, or really any of the other characters who casually die every few years only to return with a new number 1 issue.

I don't even know why this is even a conversation anymore, Jean returning after the DPS isn't what tarnished it's legacy it was how she was brought back. Then the proceeding years where writers, editors, and management decided to ruin nearly everything about the DPS because they didn't bother to read it initially.

Honestly, I don't think many people actually read the DPS as well as any of the issues leading up, Claremont had already given Jean an out for the actions of DP. It was Marvel who thought they would come up with the worst possible way to return a character literally named...PHOENIX!

Mighty Member

No.

Resurrecting Jean wasn't what went wrong. Not revealing Madelyne to be an amnesiac Jean was what went wrong.

Besides, Claremont was asking for it when he gave her the name Phoenix.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SchismOfMadroces View Post
    Jean doesn't have Between the Lines on her hotbar.
    shes a disc priest that changes to shadow, embraces madness deals 12392139185901921389012831029 8billion dps but someone messes up, they wipe and jean stays dead cause of corruption debuff

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Yes, the woman name PHOENIX should have stayed dead...however Captain America, Bucky, Cable, Thor, Professor Xavier, Iron-man, Hulk, Sentry, Wolverine, Cyclops, or really any of the other characters who casually die every few years only to return with a new number 1 issue.

I don't even know why this is even a conversation anymore, Jean returning after the DPS isn't what tarnished it's legacy it was how she was brought back. Then the proceeding years where writers, editors, and management decided to ruin nearly everything about the DPS because they didn't bother to read it initially.

Honestly, I don't think many people actually read the DPS as well as any of the issues leading up, Claremont had already given Jean an out for the actions of DP. It was Marvel who thought they would come up with the worst possible way to return a character literally named...PHOENIX!
    Ther is some weird obsession that some fans have with Jean being dead. I think the closest I ever heard is about Barry, but not even that much.

Death of Superman was a big event, even advertised on TV. The he came back and no one says that he should had stayed dead to honor his sacrifice.
    Or even Batman "dying" after saving universe on final crisis.
    Barry had some against, but not that much and it got even weaker with the time. Dude got 23 years dead after sacrificing himself to save DC universe.

"Then the proceeding years where writers, editors, and management decided to ruin nearly everything about the DPS because they didn't bother to read it initially. "

This too. Seems like majority never read it, thinking Jean went crazy because couldn't handle the power. No doubt this was even worse than the ressurrection plot. ANd then trying to keep her dead. But this no one complained.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Ther is some weird obsession that some fans have with Jean being dead. I think the closest I ever heard is about Barry, but not even that much.

Death of Superman was a big event, even advertised on TV. The he came back and no one says that he should had stayed dead to honor his sacrifice.
    Or even Batman "dying" after saving universe on final crisis.
    Barry had some against, but not that much and it got even weaker with the time. Dude got 23 years dead after sacrificing himself to save DC universe.

"Then the proceeding years where writers, editors, and management decided to ruin nearly everything about the DPS because they didn't bother to read it initially. "

This too. Seems like majority never read it, thinking Jean went crazy because couldn't handle the power. No doubt this was even worse than the ressurrection plot. ANd then trying to keep her dead. But this no one complained.

Every few months one of these threads pop up, what's incredulous is how nobody seems to care that a select few characters are literally killed off every few years only to return with a new series. I mean how often has Cable, Thor, or even Professor Xavier been killed off only to be unceremoniously be resurrected?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Every few months one of these threads pop up, what's incredulous is how nobody seems to care that a select few characters are literally killed off every few years only to return with a new series. I mean how often has Cable, Thor, or even Professor Xavier been killed off only to be unceremoniously be resurrected?
    I guess if Jean was a guy, we wouldn't have this problem. Look how much Loki is the misunderstood on MCU instead of a villain and he will get a tv series. Guys can get forgiveness really easy.
    look how fast Scott got forgiven

Cable died like twice on the last 12 years. Always get a shiny #1. Wolverine didn't even got 4 years dead.

If dead is meaningless on comics for sure it wasn't the fault of Jean getting back, but all the time dead being used as shock value and then as the chaarcters have fans they bring them back.

Singling out Jean that is a woman is very wrong, and serves to show how women are mistreat on comics

OP Question -

I'll say no. I've enjoyed what they've done with Jean especially recently.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Seriously?

Why are you doing this phoenixzero?

We've had this thread many many times. We literally don't need it again. Is anything new gonna be said? And it's an obvious invitation for people to bring all their hate against the character and turn it into posts. You should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    You should know better.
    Yep. People can’t talk about EifE without talking about Planet X. It’s tiring.