Thread: Aquaman

Default Aquaman

Just a question. Back in the day, Aquaman could not be out of water for more than an hour. I assume that is no longer the case (because that's a more debilitating weakness than fire). Did the weakness just stopped being mentioned or was a reason given for why he no longer has to take a bath every hour?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

According to Wikipedia:

Although Aquaman can remain underwater indefinitely without suffering any ill effects, he grows weak if he remains on land for extended periods. However, when Batman invented Aquaman's water suit he was able to walk on land for an indefinite amount of time and was no longer vulnerable to a "dehumidifier". This weakness was later removed from continuity in 2011, establishing that he grew up on land before learning of his Atlantean heritage, but he still runs the risk of dying by dehydration within incredibly hostile environments. Aquaman had also been bestowed an ability he never showcased before, given to him by an old Sea Monarch, granting him the ability of unaided flight using his own power.

BANNED

It was a silver age early post-crisis weakness that you won’t really see brought up much even Post-Crisis. It might happen here and there Post-Flashpoint if a writer doesn’t stick to the origin Johns gave him. He’s able to stay out of water as long as any human would be, I don’t think he rapidly dehydrates in dry areas either. Any time it’s happened in a desert area was due to prior bloodloss. His movie had him and Mera go to the desert and he was completely fine

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    According to Wikipedia:

Although Aquaman can remain underwater indefinitely without suffering any ill effects, he grows weak if he remains on land for extended periods. However, when Batman invented Aquaman's water suit he was able to walk on land for an indefinite amount of time and was no longer vulnerable to a "dehumidifier". This weakness was later removed from continuity in 2011, establishing that he grew up on land before learning of his Atlantean heritage, but he still runs the risk of dying by dehydration within incredibly hostile environments. Aquaman had also been bestowed an ability he never showcased before, given to him by an old Sea Monarch, granting him the ability of unaided flight using his own power.
    That seems fair enough. He's not going to flop over from an hour of walking on the street, but a hot planet that has Hawkman or Wonder Woman sweating bullets might make him pass out.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    According to Wikipedia:

This weakness was later removed from continuity in 2011.
    I think that may have been the official removal from continuity, but how many decades before 2011 passed before this weakness was last used in an in-canon DC comic book? I am pretty sure it hadn't been in continuity long, long before 2011.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yea... I haven't read the previous run, but 2011 sounds like a really late change. Aquaman fans told me that DC has tried to make Aquaman badass long before that, fish hook Neptune look especially, so I don't see them keeping that weakness that long.

Aqualad certainly still had that weakness in the 1980s, but I don't think he still had it by the end of the 90s. Haven't read much Aquaman but I assume the same goes for him.

Honestly though, they should've used Crisis on Infinite Earths as an excuse to retcon it out.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I know there's a story from the 90s where Aquaman jokes about that "weakness" saying something like "Sure man, I'm fine for 59 minutes and then I suddenly die".

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The time limit was mentioned during Will Pfeifer's run - that was 2004.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

It was gone during PADs epic run. Then with Tower Of Babel it was brought back specifically to sell Bats as having a contingency for him.