Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Default Hao Asakura vs the Angels (Evangelion)

One by one, restored between matches, Hao takes on each of the angels, starting with Sachiel, and ending with Tabris (who will have Eva 02). Which ones, if any, can he beat, and which can beat him? Hao has the Spirit of Fire, and is at the highest level of power he reached before merging with the Great Spirit.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Feats for Hao?

Before all of that though, does he have anyway to deal with the more esoteric Angels? Certain Angels can just chill in high orbit and mind whammy him as an example.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

He can catch artillery shells with ease and kick missiles around, pretty much blew the entire navy out of the water. Azazel was a fallen angel fused into a car to make a robot big enough to stand up out of the ocean about seven or eight times as high as a uh... big navy ship (I dunno, it had a big gun mounted on it). Hao incinerated it more or less instantly. Now notably here, Hao has what's called an "oversoul" when he's fighting, and what an oversoul is, is almost exactly the same as an AT field, except using a powerful elemental spirit instead of one's own soul, so I think there's a good bet that he and any angel he fights are going to be able to hit each other pretty directly at close range (well an Angel will probably have a problem since he's human sized and high end bullet time at minimum). He can self-resurrect if his body is in serviceable shape, as was pointed out in the other thread.

As for esoterics, oversouls provide some general esoteric defense, but the best feat he has in this area is when a character tries to kill him with a big voodoo death curse and it just gets reflected and kills them without Hao even noticing what they were doing, so he has a strong auto-defense against weird spiritual stuff. As for mental attacks, he is at the minimum, a telepath whose telepathy was so powerful and uncontrollable that it made his life hell since he just heard everything all the time. At the very least, he has learned to deal with that much information overflow, if not filter it. He also spent 900 years in hell, so he probably wouldn't be so easily overcome by raw mental assault as Asuka was.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I'm not sure all of this Oversoul information is quite accurate. I will offer a couple of corrections/thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Now notably here, Hao has what's called an "oversoul" when he's fighting, and what an oversoul is, is almost exactly the same as an AT field, except using a powerful elemental spirit instead of one's own soul, so I think there's a good bet that he and any angel he fights are going to be able to hit each other pretty directly at close range (well an Angel will probably have a problem since he's human sized and high end bullet time at minimum).
    Oversouls are a little different to an AT field in terms of function and utility.

An AT field is the boundary of the soul itself externalised and can, in some cases, be shaped beyond the classic wall shape. It is, mostly, very difficult to breach to the point that nuclear weaponry has flatly failed.

An Oversoul is a construct comprised of Furyoku [spiritual power] that is tied to the Shaman's reserves to maintain and repair if it takes damage. Now, early on in the series, there was a whole thing about "only Oversouls and furyoku can effect Oversouls and furyoku," but this is contradicted by the introductions of high enough level spirits being able to manifest actual physical phenomena (as opposed to furyoku versions of it) and still being able to impact Oversouls.

Further to that, Yoh and a few members of Team Gandhara have a technique (Mumyuyakumu) that bypasses traditional furyoku rules by just outright deleting spirtual energy on contact. This is thought to be a perfect defence but Hao points out that in his case, his spiritual power when he attacks is so massive that even a technique that erases spiritual power won't be able to defend against him.

AT Fields generally seem to rely less on a finite source as it's more a can/can't situation to get through one. Oversouls degrade over time as Shaman burn through their Furyoku.

In terms of how the two would interact, AT fields have much higher defensive feats than Hao has offensive feats. Hao's biggest offensive feat is the obliteration of Azazel documented above but even that is like... a small nuke at best. Whereas Angels have eaten multiple nukes and similar with zero damage and the Evas are considered to be so naturally durable that NERV was like "we could just drop like 100 odd nukes on them and the angel since we know that the Evas would be okay,".

I'm dubious on Hao being able to punch through one based on stuff we've seen.

There might be some feats with Golem that I'm forgetting who is in the ballpark of Eva firepower. Also, Hao did block an orbital laser some how at one point but it was offscreen IIRC. I'd need to look through the series again.

As for esoterics, oversouls provide some general esoteric defense, but the best feat he has in this area is when a character tries to kill him with a big voodoo death curse and it just gets reflected and kills them without Hao even noticing what they were doing, so he has a strong auto-defense against weird spiritual stuff.
    This also isn't accurate either. Oversouls, to my recollection, don't provide any uniform defence against esoteric attacks. The voodoo death thing seemed to be more a product of just how massive Hao's spiritual power is rather than a function of his Oversoul.

N2 bombs aren't nukes, and as to the AT field's feats against them...

Sachiel's AT field definitely didn't stop one, as Sachiel was pretty fucked up by it, though the damage was obviously greatly reduced (Sachiel was also at least inconvenienced by more conventional weapons). This is also the biggest explosion I can recall seeing from an N2 bomb, since the winds throw Misato's car while she's like... ten-ish miles away from it? Just looking up blast radii on actual nukes, the explosion seems relatively small compared to what can be done with a modern nuke.

Israfel had 28% of its mass incinerated by an N2 bomb. IIRC it was incapacitated for quite awhile by this, which facilitated Shinji and Asuka doing their DDR training.

Sahaquiel took a bunch seemingly without damage, but the explosions are really hard to judge since they were in the upper atmosphere and do not appear nearly as large. It also had ECM that was giving Nerv trouble, so I'm not sure any were direct hits. Also notable that these are specifically different N2 weapons, so they might have lower yields, which would make sense if you're just going to fire a shitload of them without really knowing what you're going to hit.

Zeruel straight up tanks one with no damage, but it's not his AT field that does it. He's just got that little shield. I don't expect Hao to beat Zeruel.

Angels have been damaged and even destroyed by things way way smaller than modern nukes.

Honestly, I feel like if Seele wasn't manipulating everything, the military probably could have come up with some modified N2s or N2-based tactics or something that would have done the job against the less esoteric angels. Just... evacuate Tokyo 3 completely and permanently, like goddamn.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 01-31-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Tossing a car around at 10 miles out is absolutely modern nuke level.

As noted, Zeruiel basically ignores one going off on him at point blank /without/ an active AT field. His core might have been susceptible, but his body and armor are nuke proof with no shields at all.

I'll let Nik handle most of this stuff as he seems more knowledgeable by far then I, but I would think the falling Angel (Sahaquiel?) would kill this dude for sure. Perhaps itself in the process. He doesnt seem to have anything that can withstand that thing blasting down from orbit.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Had a spin through some of the Golem feats. Golem's Emeth Beam was capable of blasting big holes in mountains and they did hit Hao's Spirit of Fire with it. The beam obliterated large chunks of the SoF but Hao just chuckled a regenerated it instantly. This suggests that Hao's Oversoul can be breached by sub mountain busting force.

I'll also freely admit that I haven't watched Eva in the better part of a decade but, from what I recall, Hao doesn't have enough gun to really do much to the majority of them.

Spectacular Member

Classic Angels or Rebuild versions?