Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Investigating Peter David's X-Factor Investigations

Hi, excuse me, just a few questions. Hi.

I'm seeking intel on Peter David's X-Factor Investigations. Looking for cues, clues and your thoughts/feelings about this run and Peter David's writing.

For many years I've stayed away, but I've always been curious. It's, oddly, easy to casually miss the whole run without actively pursuing it.
    I'm not really that familiar with the core characters and perhaps that's what kept me from choosing to follow the title.

Also, what's different about this run is how much Peter David purposefully demands direct contact to his authorial presence in these panels.
    X-Factor Investagions is his book. That sort of guardianship and glaring from the tower always makes me nervous at the gates.

Admittedly, I'm very sensitive to demonstrative masculine 'spaces'. I am easily scared off by any alpha territorial guy stuff penning the panels, I don't know.

But as such, because of feelings about Peter David (just these feelings) I've kept my distance.

Am I right to keep away?

As an X-Books fan hopefully you can understand that committing to a run is a sorta serious consideration. It matters. It can't be undone. And everybody wants to fall in love, so it's also, risky...

I'm looking for advice.
    Examining the possibility.

Do I stay or do I go?

Have you read the run? Are you a fan of Peter David's writing?
    Do you have any thoughts or feelings about X-Factor Investigations?

What's your personal experience with Peter David's run and writing?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by sungila; 01-31-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

X-Factor Investigations is one of my favorite series ever. Love it.

Just check first 2 issues or Madrox mini. It would be more then enough to understand if you want more of it.
    First arcs are the best. The whole run is fine and had great ideas but for me quality of the book closer to the end were not as good.

The fact that is fringe book lasted over 100 issues AND with the same writer is impressive. I frankly would have preferred 20 more issues of the original run than it switching to All-New X-Factor in Marvel Now (though it wasn't bad). This is one of the best X-Run in decent memory and arguably the best and most consistent run of the "lost decade of X-Men".
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Ultimate Member

I wanted to like it, but honestly PAD squandered the potential, IMO.

The first part of the series was a Madrox series in all but name, with the cast acting as supporting characters.

Later, when he finally fixed that, they were just your basic superhero team. One that, by in large, we've seen together already

Second best long-term run in the mutant franchise.
    First is CC's.

Hmmm, I liked it, admittedly I never finished it. There were some issues I had with the characters, but not enough to make my hate it.

I stopped reading because life happens and I got busy, but I’ll eventually get back to it someday. With that said, I think it’s worth it to check it out.
    Last edited by Rufio; 02-01-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Ultimate Member

I had BIG problems with the series but I won't go into them at the moment since I'd guess that most here already know about anyway, aside from that the whole series was basically all about Jamie and many of the characters weren't written well imho and some of the plots got strange...

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

It's very uneven.

The Madrox mini and the first 24 issues are excellent, however once crossovers start to bite and the cast loses key characters to the other books it really struggles to hit the same heights. The overly long Cortex story was a drag at the time (obviously it reads better now that we're not waiting eleven months for it to resolve). It does still have some excellent issues though, interspersed throughout the run, but when it went away from mutant detective and more into mysticism it felt a bit weaker to me. I'd still recommend it. The one shot X-Factor : The Quick and the Dead is a surprisingly joyous little book.
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 01-31-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    X-Factor Investigations is one of my favorite series ever. Love it.

Just check first 2 issues or Madrox mini. It would be more then enough to understand if you want more of it.
    First arcs are the best. The whole run is fine and had great ideas but for me quality of the book closer to the end were not as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    The fact that is fringe book lasted over 100 issues AND with the same writer is impressive. I frankly would have preferred 20 more issues of the original run than it switching to All-New X-Factor in Marvel Now (though it wasn't bad). This is one of the best X-Run in decent memory and arguably the best and most consistent run of the "lost decade of X-Men".
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Second best long-term run in the mutant franchise.
    First is CC's.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Are there specific things about this run and Peter David's writing that stand out for you?
    What makes it enjoyable,, interesting and important?

What impact do you feel like Peter David has had on X-Books?

Did reading PAD's X-Factor lead to you seeking out more of his writing outside X-Books?

Still feeling weird about Peter David.
    He really does maintain an outwardly aggressive and dogmatic media presence.
    Which is a jarring contrast to Chris Claremont.

Going back to get into Peter David's run demands dealing with Peter David's self-declared legacy.
    He purposefully engages his audience and declares propriety of intent.
    That's important isn't it?
    Last edited by sungila; 02-02-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I read the whole series, and I'll agree with others that the Madrox mini and the first 13 or so issues of X-Factor are really excellent. I loved the art and the status quo for the team as protectors of Mutant Town and somewhat antagonistic towards the X-Men proper.

But the team's foundation was tied up in the Decimation, and once it became clear that PAD couldn't actually have the team solve the Decimation problem, I feel like it kind of meandered without any real purpose. Eventually it focused on the supernatural, and that seemed so far from its original purpose that only my attachment to the characters kept me reading.

But PAD did a decent job of keeping things somewhat interesting, including Pip the Troll joining the team. But, again, it felt kind of rudderless by this point.

-Pav, who enjoyed Quicksilver a lot in this era...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

I think questioning if it’s important is a good clue you already know the answer. You articulated your responses/feelings beautifully, and without judgment/acting out. But bear in mind many female creators can be as territorial (with good reasons, but sometimes behavior > reasons). Maybe it’s the “alpha” part that’s an Irritant, but I really get what you’re saying. It’s one thing when that authorial authority is unearned, especially from men. The thing is; peter david actually earned that presence by nature of his work (x-factor But also his supergirl, fallen angel and hulk runs).

That’s said, I get your misgivings but give the work an honest try. They’re great comics even if it does peter out toward the end; I also think it’d be really positive to start judging art based solely on the art so others demonstrativeness isn’t a deterrent.

Also; that’s how I’ve felt about Hickman since meeting him at a con and I’m relieved I got through it just to enjoy X-men again.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Are there specific things about this run and Peter David's writing that stand out for you?

Did reading PAD's X-Factor lead to you seeking out more of his writing outside X-Books?

Which is a jarring contest to Chris Claremont.

Going back to get into Peter David's run demands dealing with Peter David's self-declared legacy.
    For me it made Madrox as my second favorite comic character. Awesome character development and creative use of his powers. This series had not a lot but one of the best cliffhangers in comics at all.
    Also you can stop reading it anytime so I wouldn`t worry at all.

One of the best

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

He often comes up with an interesting twist or new applications of a characters power (or how that power informs their personality - see my avatar) and is very good at writing funny dialogue that actually sounds like things people would say. His teams do feel like teams for the most part. He's also quite good at "rebuilding" written off characters.

Not as much as he would have liked, because with the possible exception of Gambit, he has never had a crack at what editorial deem to be the "top tier" names amongst the X-Men, or even a run on a flagship title. He's more of a 'cult' writer of B-list and C-list titles with a (mostly) solid track record.

His initial 90's run led me to his Spider-Man 2099 (it wasnt for me), and the pasting he got off Bill Jemas in the press had me try his Captain Marvel (which I enjoyed) but beyond that - nope.

Which is a jarring contest to Chris Claremont.
    Only if you choose to follow his twitter or read his website, which I don't. I believe CBG ceased printing many years ago. Part of his personality may be due (and I'm only speculating) to him not being a writer initially by trade. He worked in sales under the late Carol Kalish, and I seem to recall the post-death trashing of her by Gary Groth being what initiated David's less-than-friendly media personality, but I mgiht be thinking of someone else.

It is if you yourself add importance to him doing that. I wouldn't say he did it any more than say, John Byrne on Hidden Years or Claremont on his 75-91 run. Plus - he really annoyed Rob Liefeld, which is always fun.

I would venture that if David had a legacy to trumpet, it would probably be his work on Hulk, rather than anything X-related. I say that without having read it though.

Ultimately - if you dont like the guy, there is nothing in X-Factor (or anything he has written for that matter) to change your mind, and if you cannot seperate the art from the artist then you're better not touching the book. If there's something in his personal beliefs or statements (and I dont know what it is you're hinting at other than him being protective of his stories and, as far as I can recall, very publicly annoyed that Rahne got taken off him) or the particular pairings he has put together over the course of his run, dont buy the book. Save yourself the stress.

I didn't know the beliefs of the guy who drew New X-Men #118 and 119 back in 2001 but I'm not binning the books anytime soon. I just wont buy anything of his in future. If the way Peter David (or any writer) carries themselves annoys you - express your displeasure by not stumping up the greenbacks, it's your money.

It's a generally well-received run, which went over 100 issues (close to a miracle in this day and age for a B-title). There's gonna be some stinkers in there, but also some books which gave readers enough enjoyment for it to last as long as it did.

He is a divisive figure though. I used to write reviews (under my real name) for X-Fan back in the day. Whenever I did X-Factor (which usually got a decent-to-good review), I would invariably get people telling me that my review was WRONG and that even though they hadnt read the book it was rubbish.

Maybe Peter David needs a new PR team?
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 02-02-2020 at 06:39 AM.

Ultimate Member

I loved Peter David's X-Factpr run, and usually like his work, so I'm definitely biased, having liked his Aquaman work, and really loved his Young Justice work, as well as enjoying his Star Trek: New Frontiers stuff. (Not as much a fan of the Supergirl stuff, and I haven't read his Hulk run, and wow, was Fallen Angels, IMO, bad...)

But it was very uneven. I really liked the 'backdoor pilot' Madrox mini and feel like he really wrote a good Monet, Siryn, Shatterstar, Rictor, Layla and Madrox, but that other characters, like Strong Guy, Rahne and Darwin, just kind of meandered along without too much plot. Sometimes that was not entirely on him (Rahne kind of got stolen away from him.), but other times there didn't seem to be any excuse for it.