View Poll Results: Which non-comic / non-feature-film project do you want Superman to do next?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good New Animated Show

23 57.50%
  • Good New Broadway Musical / Play

0 0%
  • Good New Live-Action TV Show

4 10.00%
  • Good New Toy Line

1 2.50%
  • Good New Video Game

11 27.50%
  • Good New Something Else (please explain)

1 2.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What new non-comic / non-live-action-film Superman project should be done next?

Superman remains the Super-Hero Multi-Media Champion, despite not being DC's #1 priority for the last 25 years or so.

And regardless of how you view MAN OF STEEL, it's good to have Superman back on the big screen again.

Besides, his live-action feature film line, what would be the next multi-media project in which you would like to see Superman succeed?

For me, it's an easy choice.

A GOSH-DARN FREAKIN' GOOD NEW VIDEO GAME!!!!

Not only has Superman currently not have a good video game resume, he has the WORST Superhero video game resume by a country mile! No other character (let alone superhero) would be given this many chances at video games, fail, and then keep getting more chances, only to fail again and again.

I want a GOOD Superman video game more than I want any other type of non-comic endeavor for Superman. More than a new solo animated show, more than a new Broadway musical/play, more than a new solo toy line, more than a new solo live-action television show, more than anything else.

What about you?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 08-09-2014 at 03:39 PM.

I'd like a new animated TV show. Superman is seriously long overdue for one.

And preferably make it isolated from the wider DCU. I just want Superman and his mythos, unmarred by Batman, or Wonder Woman, or the JLA or anyone else. Well, I suppose, except for the Legion of Super-Heroes.

A good video game wouldn't hurt, though that would be challenging.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Astonishing Member

The problem with a video game is how hard it is to be Superman using a controller of any kind. His range of powers and the intensity of them can't be properly handled by hitting a series of buttons. Give it a few years until we get more advanced controllers to handle flight, heat vision, etc; combined with physical movement.

I went with the animated series, but preferably some sort of non-standard twist. Keep it off Cartoon Network under any circumstances. Maybe an animated counterpart to the digital-first comics. Have it weekly or daily (shorter) episodes available online for a subscription rate and every few months release the material as DVDs.

I want an animated show in the mold of the retired digital Adventures of Superman comic -- a show that could tell a Silver Age story one week and a Golden Age story the next. Live action adaptations are great, too, but I feel like there have been plenty recently. It feels like the right time for a cartoon.

Honestly, any of these would be a welcome sight. But I voted for the video game because I think it would reach more people and get more attention over a longer period of time.

Granted, it would have to be a *good* game. Superman doesnt lend himself well to video games and what a well received, well designed Superman game would entail I have no idea. But that's why Im not a game designer. But I do know how much attention Batman has gotten due to the Arkham series, and if Superman could get that sort of acclaim over the course of several games/years....it'd do a lot more for the character than another cartoon series or toy line.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I want an animated show in the mold of the retired digital Adventures of Superman comic -- a show that could tell a Silver Age story one week and a Golden Age story the next. Live action adaptations are great, too, but I feel like there have been plenty recently. It feels like the right time for a cartoon.
    This right here. I've toyed with the idea of an Adventures of Superman-like animated show and I think it's one of the best ways to celebrate the character. Good thinking!

I'd love a show like this too. No continuity, just stand alone episodes where all time periods are game. That'd be glorious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly, any of these would be a welcome sight. But I voted for the video game because I think it would reach more people and get more attention over a longer period of time.

Granted, it would have to be a *good* game. Superman doesnt lend himself well to video games and what a well received, well designed Superman game would entail I have no idea. But that's why Im not a game designer. But I do know how much attention Batman has gotten due to the Arkham series, and if Superman could get that sort of acclaim over the course of several games/years....it'd do a lot more for the character than another cartoon series or toy line.
    A Superman game is feasible it just needs a Japanese touch rather than an American/European one. Bayonetta always makes me think of the possibilities of a Superman game that actually captures the sort of scope you would expect from a Superman game.

Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    A Superman game is feasible it just needs a Japanese touch rather than an American/European one. Bayonetta always makes me think of the possibilities of a Superman game that actually captures the sort of scope you would expect from a Superman game.

For boss fights this would be almost ideal, but I don't think a Superman game should be a hack and slash beat em up (even a good one) like Bayonetta or DMC.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Got to go with animated series here. It would reach the highest number of young people, who we need to bring into comics.

Anyway, I want my live-action Superman in movies! As Smallville proved, budgeting a LA Superman show is a real problem, and if it's actual, fully-fledged Superman it's budget would be a LOT bigger than Smallville!

I'd love a game but oh, the fail! So many bad Superman games, I'm not sure if we'll ever get a good one. I live in hope.

As with a lot of heroes, I'd happily read novels. I'm a big reader, and its an area oddly devoid of super-heroes. Sadly, most super-hero novels I've tried haven't been very good.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Agree on the videogame. If makers really put their minds into it, they could be able to make it. I have some ideas that could work (I don't see why it has to be a tough task). The Superman Returns game took a few steps in the right direction, but ultimately failed.

Also, a new animated series. I'd like to see an anime, a la X-Men. What do you guys think?

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    For boss fights this would be almost ideal, but I don't think a Superman game should be a hack and slash beat em up (even a good one) like Bayonetta or DMC.
    Agreed. It wouldn't look good if Superman had to hit a measly robot (or street thug) with anything more than a move of his little finger. It has to be an action-adventure/exploration combo.

I'm surprised you didn't have a (non-graphic) novel as an option. I definitely would love to have a good romance novel in that vein (don't expect it to happen ANYTIME soon given the choice to pair the two supers rather than playing with the contrast in a different way).

I would also go for second period-style Superman novel or Sci-fi Fantasy novel but I love the "triangle of two" trope in romance novels.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Video game, hands down. A cartoon would be nice, but a video game would probably reach a wider demographic and possibly bring in more revenue.

WB has 2 subsidiary dev teams that make solid-to-excellent action games - Rocksteady and Monolith. Currently Rocksteady is seen as the superior, but if the new Middle-earth game by Monolith lives up to its hype (it's expected to be really good), I'd be happy w/ either one.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

I would love to see a great Superman video game. I'd also love to see a great cartoon series. However, I don't have tremendous faith either one would be done to my liking, so I'm going to ask for a less-ambitious animated movie. We won't get one in 2014, and so far none is planned for 2015, so no fair telling me, "You fool, we've already had a ton of them lately."