Default Batman 86, a good jumping on point?

I've read every single Bat, Tec and all the rest from 1986-2016

Jumped off because I did not like what was being put out.

I read about 15 issues into Rebirth and quit all DC

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I've read every single Bat, Tec and all the rest from 1986-2016

Jumped off because I did not like what was being put out.

I read about 15 issues into Rebirth and quit all DC
    Nah because alot happened in King's run which accounts for the state the the city and Batfam is in when Tynion the current writer begins his run. The stories aren't connected but there are absences and relationships which might leave you scratching your head

However thankfully King pretty much recaps his entire run in the last 5 issues of his run. I'd say google the issues from no 77 [a major event happens] and then start from 86. Issues 77 to 85 while they recap King's 85 issue run they are also filler heavy and most of it is worthless to the current run.

so to avoid wasting cash I'd say spoil yourself online from say issue 77 and then jump into 86 otherwise you wouldn't get why Gotham and batman are in their current state
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-01-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Ty I appreciate it dietrich

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Nah because alot happened in King's run which accounts for the state the the city and Batfam is in when Tynion the current writer begins his run. The stories aren't connected but there are absences and relationships which might leave you scratching your head

However thankfully King pretty much recaps his entire run in the last 5 issues of his run. I'd say google the issues from no 77 [a major event happens] and then start from 86. Issues 77 to 85 while they recap King's 85 issue run they are also filler heavy and most of it is worthless to the current run.

so to avoid wasting cash I'd say spoil yourself online from say issue 77 and then jump into 86 otherwise you wouldn't get why Gotham and batman are in their current state
    I don't think that's true at all really, I deplored King's run early on so I dropped off after his 6th or 7th issue and I haven't felt like I've missed anything really all that important. All you need to know is that Bruce and Selina are a thing again, Alfred is "dead" again, Bruce ostracized the rest of the Batfamily again, and the city was destroyed again and Bruce is putting it back together and villains are trying to stop him for nefarious purposes.

Nothing King did was revolutionary so if you're a long time Batman reader it's pretty easy to jump back on with the barest of broad strokes. The new run has some serious echos of Hush so far so it's not exactly revolutionary either but the pacing, characterization and dialogue are all worlds better than what came before.

Incredible Member

Hard to say. Batman 86 is a new direction for the title with a new team, so yes the beginning is usually good to jump on. On the other hand, only one issue has come out since then, so who knows what you're jumping into?

Extraordinary Member

Is deathstroke alive again already and he and Bat are back at it?

Censorship Sucks

I would say yes! The new run is pretty good so far.