View Poll Results: How many Oscar wins will JOKER have?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean sweep - wins 11 of 11 categories

2 8.33%
  • Wins 10 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 9 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 8 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 7 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 6 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 5 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 4 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 3 of 11

5 20.83%
  • Wins 2 of 11

10 41.67%
  • Wins 1 of 11

3 12.50%
  • Shut out - wins 0 of 11

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The Academy all-too-often loves a "wait your turn" style of professional recognition.

See: Al Pacino winning for SCENT OF A WOMAN, when he should have won for THE GODFATHER PART II.

See also: Denzel Washington winning for TRAINING DAY, when he should have won for MALCOLM X.

Phoenix has been nominated for acting Oscars before, right? Then it may in fact be "his turn" now.

FWIW, I see JOKER winning Best Actor, and two other more technical awards like Best Sound or Best Sound Mixing or something.

I'm sticking with 3 wins out of 11 noms for JOKER.
    I won't be surprised if there is an upset with best actor with Antonio Banderas.

It'll win Best Actor and Best Score. I personally don't agree with either, I'd give it to Adam Driver and Thomas Newman, but oh well. That's the way it will fall.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I won't be surprised if there is an upset with best actor with Antonio Banderas.
    Anything is possible. But even people who hated the Joker say Joaquin Phoenix was amazing in it. I think Phoenix winning best actor is the closest to a sure thing but if anyone upsets him I feel like Adam Driver is 2nd in line. Personaly I'd have Adam Sandler as the person who could upset him but he didnt get a Nom. He woulda had the the wow factor on his side. People expect these kinda performances from Phoenix. Adam Sandler is bunching way out of his league. Though hes shown throughout his career if he stars in someone else's movie he can be a very good dramatic actor. The appearances in those movies is few and far between.

But who knows but yea if I was a betting man I'd put it all on Phoenix.

Astonishing Member

Phoenix should be a lock for King of Comedy/Falling Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    But even people who hated the Joker say Joaquin Phoenix was amazing in it. I think Phoenix winning best actor is the closest to a sure thing but if anyone upsets him I feel like Adam Driver is 2nd in line.
    The things Phoenix has against him:
    - it's a superhero film (in the eyes of voters)
    - it's already won an Oscar for that role. TO MY KNOWLEDGE Don Corleone is the only role to win an Oscar twice. This is the same things that could upset Greta Gerwig's Oscar for adapting Little Women... it's already won that Oscar before in 1934, for the Katherine Hepburn film.
    - Phoenix might have upset some people about his BAFTA speech, and maybe the Oscars don't want to leave themselves open to the same criticism (now they know it's coming)

Adam Driver is up-and-coming. And every year has a surprise. I think it will be this (1917 is going to win Best Picture).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The things Phoenix has against him:
    - it's a superhero film (in the eyes of voters)
    - it's already won an Oscar for that role. TO MY KNOWLEDGE Don Corleone is the only role to win an Oscar twice. This is the same things that could upset Greta Gerwig's Oscar for adapting Little Women... it's already won that Oscar before in 1934, for the Katherine Hepburn film.
    - Phoenix might have upset some people about his BAFTA speech, and maybe the Oscars don't want to leave themselves open to the same criticism (now they know it's coming)

Adam Driver is up-and-coming. And every year has a surprise. I think it will be this (1917 is going to win Best Picture).
    Everything I've heard indicates that it deserves it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Everything I've heard indicates that it deserves it.
    It absolutely does; it's an utter masterpiece. My point was badly phrased, I meant "I don't think the upset will be Parasite winning Best Picture". I think it will be Best Actor. Just a hunch, could be very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It'll win Best Actor and Best Score. I personally don't agree with either, I'd give it to Adam Driver and Thomas Newman, but oh well. That's the way it will fall.
    Adam Driver was so damn good. Phoenix was definitely good as well, but I think it's a situation where he's going to get credit for doing the most acting, while Driver played a much more interesting, subtle character. The big fight scene at the end of Act 2 had me chuckling until I realized I was in tears. That's acting.

While I didnt care for The Joker movie myself I am very happy it has done so well and has the chance to get a ton of awards. I am always happy when A comic book movie does well. Makes it more likely that more will be made.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Adam Driver was so damn good. Phoenix was definitely good as well, but I think it's a situation where he's going to get credit for doing the most acting, while Driver played a much more interesting, subtle character. The big fight scene at the end of Act 2 had me chuckling until I realized I was in tears. That's acting.
    That is EXACTLY how I feel. Phoenix did a great job, but it's such a great role. How much is the performer and how much is the character? Let's be honest, there have been so many good Jokers, it's clearly a character that lends itself to that. And the whole film is built around Phoenix (to the point nearly everyone else is 2D); Driver exists in a full realised world and feels just as whole and truthful, without as much attention.

I'd give it to Driver, personally. What he did was harder.

Alright, final bets before the Oscars go live at 8 PM EST tonight!

My "ballot" ...

3 wins total:
    1. Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix
    2. Best Sound Editing
    3. Best Sound Mixing

Final answer.

Refresh for updates if you are not watching.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/osc...cid=spartandhp

So far--

lost adapted screenplay to jojo rabbit
    lost costume to little women
    Lost sound editing to ford v ferrari
    Lost sound mixing to 1917
    Lost cinematography to 1917
    Lost film editing to ford v Ferrari
    lost Makeup and hairstyle to bombshell
    Joker wins Original score
    Lost director to Parasite
    Wins best actor.
    Loses best picture to Parasite

Update as it goes.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-09-2020 at 09:28 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Honestly Joker should win one or 2 awards. If the film gets swept a number of people will say its being blacklisted due to the whole drama over it and all. That the industry was ashamed of it getting nominations and wants to sweep it away.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Has four more chances to win. Only one more "small" award it's in left then the three big ones.

Edit--It won one!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 02-09-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Late to the party but anybody who thought it would win much more than Best Actor were kidding themeslves.