View Poll Results: How many Oscar wins will JOKER have?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean sweep - wins 11 of 11 categories

2 8.33%
  • Wins 10 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 9 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 8 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 7 of 11

0 0%
  • Wins 6 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 5 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 4 of 11

1 4.17%
  • Wins 3 of 11

5 20.83%
  • Wins 2 of 11

10 41.67%
  • Wins 1 of 11

3 12.50%
  • Shut out - wins 0 of 11

1 4.17%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is a much better Oscars than last year.
    This was a much better film season than last year, which is the reason.

Last year there were just okay films nominated for Best Picture. Roma was the only one I think was truly great, and it got shafted because of Netflix. If you put either Parasite, 1917, Little Women, Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Marriage Story into last years lineup, any one of those could have beat out Green Book.

Same with the acting categories which were totally stacked. Phoenix and Driver easily would have won best actor last year, even with the praise Maek got. We know because we got a very similar music biopic performance from Taron Egerton and he couldn't even get nominated. When Jonathen Pryce, Hopkins, Pacino, Pesci and Leo are turning out stellar performances and you know for a fact they don't even have a shot, you know it's a good year.

Same on the women's side. Scarlet Johannsen and Florence Pugh were fantastic and could have won last year if they were nominated. Scarlet put out a career performance. Hell even Charlize Theron was transformative in Bombshell.

This was arguably a walk away for best film year of the decade.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson didn't win an Oscar either and they both gave much better performances as Joker in a theatrical movie.
    What made their performances better? Because they were closer to the comic version? So what? Joker was designed to be its own thing, distinct from previous versions.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

From February 1st:

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe Best Actor and Best Screenplay, and the latter is dicey. I think the Korean drama Parasite will bushwhack 1917 for Best Picture while Tarantino finally wins Best Director for Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.
    Dang! Didn't think I'd be right on that wild arsed guess, but I was only half right since Tarantino lost out to Parasite's director.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-10-2020 at 04:20 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Vito Corleone from the Godfather; Marlon Brando won Best Actor in Godfather I and Robert De Niro won best supporting actor in Godfather II.
    Well there's a difference in that there they played the same version of a character, i.e. set in one continuity...whereas Ledger and Phoenix play different versions of the character in separate continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Two: Best Actor and Best Original Score.
    You nailed it!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson didn't win an Oscar either and they both gave much better performances as Joker in a theatrical movie.
    No they didn’t lol. For one Romero was doing a campy made for tv rendition and the Joker in that movie was not nearly as pivotal to have the substance of an award winning performance. Nicholson you could maybe argue but it really was just Jack being Jack

Best Actor and Best Score wins for JOKER.

What's the most Oscar wins a Superhero- and/or comic book- related movie has ever actually won?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    This was a much better film season than last year, which is the reason.

Last year there were just okay films nominated for Best Picture. Roma was the only one I think was truly great, and it got shafted because of Netflix. If you put either Parasite, 1917, Little Women, Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Marriage Story into last years lineup, any one of those could have beat out Green Book.

Same with the acting categories which were totally stacked. Phoenix and Driver easily would have won best actor last year, even with the praise Maek got. We know because we got a very similar music biopic performance from Taron Egerton and he couldn't even get nominated. When Jonathen Pryce, Hopkins, Pacino, Pesci and Leo are turning out stellar performances and you know for a fact they don't even have a shot, you know it's a good year.

Same on the women's side. Scarlet Johannsen and Florence Pugh were fantastic and could have won last year if they were nominated. Scarlet put out a career performance. Hell even Charlize Theron was transformative in Bombshell.

This was arguably a walk away for best film year of the decade.
    I thought Irishman was boring and showed and told us nothing new. Agree about the rest trouncing Green Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Best Actor and Best Score wins for JOKER.

What's the most Oscar wins a Superhero- and/or comic book- related movie has ever actually won?
    Black Panther won 3, Suicide Squad, Joker, Incredibles, and the Dark Knight are all tied with 2. Spider-Man 2, Batman, Superman, Big Hero 6, and Into the Spider-Verse all won one.

If you throw in comic book movies, Dick Tracy is tied with Black Panther at 3, MIB won 2, and Road To Perdition won 1.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Oh man that Dick Tracy film didn't deserve those! That was another crappy movie year.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Oh man that Dick Tracy film didn't deserve those! That was another crappy movie year.
    Sure it did, it won for Production Design, Make Up and Song. All were worthy, whatever you thing of the movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sure it did, it won for Production Design, Make Up and Song. All were worthy, whatever you thing of the movie.
    Personal opinion, obviously. That Madonna song is completely forgotten, Edward Scissorhands had better makeup. /shrug

Interesting year, though. It was all about the Costner.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

I guess it's just as well Joker didn't win best movie: The Daily Beast was making threats...

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I guess it's just as well Joker didn't win best movie: The Daily Beast was making threats...
    What?

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Threats? Why?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Threats? Why?
    They said if Joker won there would b "hell to pay". Now I don't really think they meant violence, but they were so insistent that Joker was going to inspire killings, I say these critics should be held do their own standards, so what they said could be construed as a serious threat. And this is my feeble attempt at satire.